Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does this happen!?

• 25-09-2013 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm not sure 100% if this is the right place to put this, but I don't know how to pinpoint this problem - if it is my broadband/router.
    I got a new PC a few weeks ago - and for whatever the reason, it doesn't connect as well as say, my old laptop.
    Here is a speedtest from my laptop today, just for comparison:
    http://i.imgur.com/vC26I01.png
    I took it when right beside my computer.
    And then I tested on my PC and got this:
    http://i.imgur.com/P7VPfk4.png
    I have no idea if it's my PC or something to do with my router, or what.
    The ping is apparently massive and I'm only getting about 1/2 what I should.
    Anybody know what to do?

Thanks,
    Ronomono.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

Wired or wireless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Jonny Blaze

Silly question but do you have both powered on and connected to the network when you run the tests?

If you have only the laptop running when you run the test on it, then you will get all the allocated bandwidth, usually the bandwidth is spread over each connected device in your home network which would make it seem like each machine is getting half the speed.

Also, it could simply be the wireless network adapter fitted to your desktop is poor compared to your laptop (though with a new desktop you would think that wouldn't be the case)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Ronomono

Wireless - I had Homeplugs, but seemingly same result, so just went to Wireless.
    Yes, both powered on and connected when tested. But it was the same with one or the other connected by themselves.
    This in the Wireless card - http://www.pixmania.ie/wifi-network-card/tp-link-tl-wn881nd-300-mbps-wireless-n-pci-adapter/15846445-a.html
    Even before - the homeplugs were the same with my 'Gigabit Ethernet' built in to the motherboard.
    I have no idea what's up -.-

Hmmm.. That is strange alright. It's a pretty high spec card as well. If you fit it yourself you could try and ensure all the connections are solid and aerials screwed in tight (not trying to condescend btw). Failing that I would recommend logging in to your router and checking the settings there, as well as those of the card.

I have heard some people having trouble with new cards that are set up to use 802.11n as opposed to 802.11g. It is my understanding that since dual aerial cards are specifically designed to make use of the n standard that that is their default set up, but that most standard routers don't operate on that standard.

Other than that I'm pretty stumped im afraid!

It's in fine, aerials are tightly screwed on. I can log onto the router, but I don't know what to look for, exactly. :(
    Hmm...It does say it's an N adapter.....again, not much idea how to change that.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately im not sure there's a whole lot you can do about it, if the router is a regular Cisco EPC2425 or Cisco EPC3925 then my feeling is that they simply don't support the 802.11n standard which may be causing your performance issues.

It still seems strange though as there is really no reason I can think of that the card should be harmed by connecting to the g network. What speed do you pay for out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 offmeheadpal

i see your ISP is eircom, so im guessing you have a F1000 modem? high ping usually has to do with other programs downloading or wireless inteference, login to the modem and change channel to say, 11 in wireless settings

What speed do you pay for out of interest?
    50Mbit broadband - also it says '802.11 Mode: 802.11b/g/n Mixed' on the modem's page.
    And as offmeheadpal said - our modem is an F1000.

But offmeheadpal - I tried it on my laptop not 3 minutes beforehand and got a result that was 2x better DL, similar upload, and much worse ping. (But it isn't just the timing - happens pretty much all the time.)

I changed the channel to 11, but doesn't seem to be helping :(
    Man, this is depressing. I get a new PC, and just this is wrong -.-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭homer911

I have a similar problem on an old PC using a USB wireless adapter. Laptops and tablets in the same area provide acceptable performance but on the PC its a disaster. I've tried different USB adapters and different drivers, but no improvement

Okay. Guys. I found something which appears to be a major problem- but I have no idea how to solve it. I used a more in-depth internet connection analysis on berkeley's site, and I got this result.
    http://i.imgur.com/kxSFjPa.png
    I have no idea what this means/what to do - anyone have expertise here?

• Advertisement

Hmmmm...

Well, the first few lines of the report are essentially informing you that machine you are using possesses the local IP address of 192.168.1.3 which refers to your home network's internal IP scheme.

Your router connects you to the internet by assigning local IP addresses to each machine in it's broadcast radius (i.e wi-fi), or otherwise connected to it by a direct ethernet connection.

However, your router presents one global or 'real' IP address through which it sends and recieves data to the internet at large, which is the number 95-44-37-239 in this case.

The NAT protocol, facillitates a mapping from multiple local addresses to a single outbound address, which serves to simplify routing at a larger scale.

All a piece of data needs to do to get to your router, no matter which device is on your local network is the overall destination, is follow a route that leads to your router, and then your router sorts out which connected machine is supposed to get the data itself.

The little graph of TCP connection attempts over ports illustrates the range of ports that a connection was attempted to be gained from.

Ports are basically network address spaces on the router which different applications use in order to send and receive data.

So, as part of the routing process, when data transmitted over the internet to your router arrives in your machine, it will generally carry a little bit of data telling the operating system what port it should be routed through, which also helps simplify routing as the operating system knows there is a specific place it should send the data along to get to the destination application.

i.e. if both our machines agree to send http files (web site files) on port 80, then that application knows to look at only port 80 when sending and receiving data..

Then the report mentions an IP V6 addressing error, which is kind of strange as most routers have methods of dealing with IPV6 addresses.

IPV6 is the latest networking protocol which uses 128 bits to store address allowing for far more addresses in the internet.

It was designing to replace IPV4 which was the standard until recently enough when so many things started connecting to the internet that they effectivly ran out of addresses they could store in 32 bits, which is what IPV4 used to store addresses.

The report then runs through a list of possible connections on your hardware, referred to by their names such as eth01 through 09 etc.

It mentions a few IPV6 connections with different addresses but claims to not be able to resolve requests to the intended address.

It says NAT support for plug and play not found, which may mean the drivers for the network card that you installed might not be installed correctly, or , maybe a router firmware upgrade or factory reset may be in order.

It is possible that older or incompatible firmware/ drivers are causing an upset in the translation of your local IP address to the relevant outgoing IPV6 address.

Failing that I really wouldn't know what could be causing the problem without being there to run diagnostics etc.

Hope that helps anyway. Sorry about the waffle.

Hmmmm. But this was also happening with the Homeplugs (unsure if it is the homeplugs.) That screencap Was only part of a test - but it was saying that was the only major problem.
    The Wireless Card is updated to latest drivers...
    I dunno what to do -.-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭jd

Try disabling IPv6 on your wireless adapter properties

Advertisement