Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pension Advise - start now or put all money into mortgage?

Options
  • 25-09-2013 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Hi.

Im not the best wtih financials so id like some advice or just opinions to help steer me in the right direction.

Im 30 and currently dont have a pension. I put most of my savings into a savings account, thats destined to pay for a house at some stage.

My idea was save as much as possible in a regular savings account, get a smaller mortgage, paid off sooner and then i could throw all disposable income into a pension.

But now im not sure if thats such a good idea.

Im wondering:

1. is there a better way to save money besides waiting to get paid and transferring it to a savings account?

2. am i better to put it into a pension as i get a massive tax relif on anything that goes into a pension?

If this is too indepth for the forum, even contact info for a professional who can advise would be great.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Xidu

I would suggest you to put 5% of your gross salary to pension from now on, when you reach to 50yo, you can put in as much as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

I am not sure advice is allowed on the forum so may be best contacting a proffessional.

Assuming you have enough for a deposit already saved then I reckon that you should start putting money into a pension as you said the tax relief on the pensionable amount is really good.

You will need to take in all the factors though so I reckon a proffessional might be the way to go.

Advertisement