Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

IOS7 on an iphone 4?

• 25-09-2013 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭

should I install IOS7 on an iphone 4 or leave it at 6? It's for sale, so was thinking I should leave it to whoever buys it to make that call?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Using it myself, works great! Though a friend of mine has had serious WiFi issues, but those problems seem to be affecting a fraction of a percent of users.

It's pretty good. It's maybe 5% less responsive, but otherwise loving it. Like having a new phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Works perfect for me but its sometimes slightly less responsive but rarely noticable. Am glad I upgraded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Id leave it to the eventual buyer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭sumo12

Works fine for me, I'd say I find it slighty more responsive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

sumo12 wrote: »

Planning to update but its telling me I need 3.1gb of space to do so. Seems like so much, but frantically deleting photos at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Planning to update but its telling me I need 3.1gb of space to do so. Seems like so much, but frantically deleting photos at the moment

This huge level of space is only needed for the install - once it is done, it'll be freed back up again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

This huge level of space is only needed for the install - once it is done, it'll be freed back up again

So will I turn off iCloud (5gb) while I upgrade?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I would leave it as is. I upgraded an iphone 4 that I have here and the new OS is a bit of an eye sore with everything popping in and popping out. It would probably look a lot smoother on newer devices but on the iphone 4 it's a bit hard on the eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Its horrible :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

sumo12 wrote: »
    Yes. I updated my MD's iPhone 4 during the week and it is so smooth. iOS 7 is fabulous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 621 ✭✭✭if832uspx4eogt

Coming from iOS 5 (never bothered updating) I have to say there's a noticeable improvement in performance. But I'll still be getting a 5S when they eventually come out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If your happy with iOS6 then leave it as it is. iOS 7 dumbs everything down with basic colors, backgrounds removed, worse battery life and generally cheapens everything. I also have the problem now of my phone not automatically selecting 3G and having to toggle on/off airplane mode to get it to select it. That never once happened in the two years previous on iOS 5& 6. It wasn't designed for the iphone4 and so my advice is not to bother, there are absolutely no advantages to it over 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

I upgraded iv had no problems with it but i do think the look is a bit childish looking its like as if they copied the look from kids pretend iphone that you can get from a 2 euro shop but other than that its all good so far.

Coming from iOS 5 (never bothered updating) I have to say there's a noticeable improvement in performance. But I'll still be getting a 5S when they eventually come out.
    Even coming from iOS6 there is a greater responsiveness. The while design of 6 is a huge improvement in style, colours, functionality, innovation. I absolutely love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Wish I'd read this thread before I upgraded to ios7, I've just made a huge mistake :(

I've never updated my iPhone since I bought it. But with a couple of apps I wanted I needed to update my ios.

- I can't connect to my wifi at home
    - the whole look is horrendous
    - I can't close apps by double clicking and then turning them off
    - it is less responsive

And it's only been 20 mins -.-

The last time this happened, I had a PC with XP and bought a new one with Vista, and boy was I sorry.

Can I reverse this, or have I just destroyed my iPhone for good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

To close app, double click and swipe small screen upwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭blade1

You do know you have to swipe up to close the apps, yeah?
    Edit : damn you Lisha lol

Wish I'd read this thread before I upgraded to ios7, I've just made a huge mistake :(

I've never updated my iPhone since I bought it. But with a couple of apps I wanted I needed to update my ios.

- I can't connect to my wifi at home
    - the whole look is horrendous
    - I can't close apps by double clicking and then turning them off
    - it is less responsive

And it's only been 20 mins -.-

The last time this happened, I had a PC with XP and bought a new one with Vista, and boy was I sorry.

Can I reverse this, or have I just destroyed my iPhone for good!
    It is extremely slow to respond. Its almost as if they want the I phone 4 to feel old and out of date........is it possible to change back ?

km79 wrote: »
    It is extremely slow to respond. Its almost as if they want the I phone 4 to feel old and out of date........is it possible to change back ?

Have you done a hard reset ? I have updated a 4 and it's whizzing along perfectly. Try to fix it before throwing your hands in the air ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭blade1

My girlfriend has ios7 on her 4 and is having no performance issues.

• Advertisement

Piliger wrote: »
    Have you done a hard reset ? I have updated a 4 and it's whizzing along perfectly. Try to fix it before throwing your hands in the air ...
    yeah I've tried the hard reset. It takes about 5 seconds to open message app for example. And then I could be typing away for another few seconds before the letters appear. Its been overall very sluggish and frustrating to use since the update

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Sarn

No issues here either. Runs fine apart from apps taking a shade longer to start up, but that's it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Have it on my iphone 4 and no problems. It's quick and responsive

Didn't like the design at first but I generally have that reaction to any change: Facebook, YouTube, even boards.ie!

It'll grow on me I guess

km79 wrote: »
    yeah I've tried the hard reset. It takes about 5 seconds to open message app for example. And then I could be typing away for another few seconds before the letters appear. Its been overall very sluggish and frustrating to use since the update

Well that is nothing to do with it being a 4 as such - just bad luck something got mashed during the upgrade. What you need is a completely clean install. Backup and then install as a brand new iPhone. That will more than likely fix everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭johnsds

The best iOS upgrade apple could possibly do now is REVERT to iOS 6.1.3 this 7 is utter utter tripe.

johnsds wrote: »
    The best iOS upgrade apple could possibly do now is REVERT to iOS 6.1.3 this 7 is utter utter tripe.

7 is amazing and it would be idiotic to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ThisCharmingIce

Hi,

Upgraded my iPhone 4 last week and it worked fine until yesterday whn suddenly it stopped charging. Tried several cables(all Apple products) plugging into sockets and usb into my macbook. Even had it checked in fonemenders this morning. There's a lot online about them blocking 3rd Party lightning cables on ios7 but that's not the issue here. Will log an official call with Apple this evening but my phone is now unusable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Piliger wrote: »
    7 is amazing and it would be idiotic to go back.

Not really tbh, I got my issues with iOS7 sorted, but I prefer my old iOS by far. I'm a creature of habit. It's like getting vista when you had Xp, newer doesn't always mean better. For instance I think windows 8 is extremely user unfriendly, but then again I don't use a PC for work in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

How do you do a 'hard reset' ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Press and hold both buttons until the phone reboots.

Advertisement