Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closed pub beside Tap N11

• 25-09-2013 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Folks, on the same side as the Tap there's a closed pub. What was it called and anyone know anything about the history of it? Thanks S

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭vickers209

Do you mean lil doyles??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I think he might mean the yellow building a bit further up the road? There is an ancient decaying petrol pump directly opposite on the far side of the road. I always thought it was an old shop but it is the right size for a pub I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

dogmatix wrote: »
    I think he might mean the yellow building a bit further up the road? There is an ancient decaying petrol pump directly opposite on the far side of the road. I always thought it was an old shop but it is the right size for a pub I suppose.

Yes. That's the one. Any ideas what it was called, when last open etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

That's a question I've been meaning to ask for a while ;)

Any help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

When I worked along that road (1970s+) it was never a pub - just a shop and petrol pumps. Think it went by the name of Kilboy Stores. It belonged to a number of different families. All seemed to move on after a period of years and sometime in the 1990s (I could be way off) it closed for good. The shop stocked the basics of any small country shop and it always seemed that the petrol pumps provided most of the income. The fact that you had to race across the N11 to pay your bill etc was a major drawback.
    There was also another little shop around the corner between it and the Tap (the white house with the car wheel built into the balcony) which belonged to a family called Cole. It was the sort of place you could buy a pair of slippers or a shovel. Closed many years ago too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

FirstIn wrote: »
    Folks, on the same side as the Tap there's a closed pub. What was it called and anyone know anything about the history of it? Thanks S
    Why do you think that it was a pub :confused: , I have been going up and down that road for yyyyyyyears and only remember it as a shop. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭FirstIn

bido wrote: »
    Why do you think that it was a pub :confused: , I have been going up and down that road for yyyyyyyears and only remember it as a shop. :D

Thank you. Yes I could be wrong on that. From one of the earlier posts that looks likely.

Advertisement