Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will MacBook Air run Parallels and Windows 8?

Options
  • 25-09-2013 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi,

Does anybody know if a MacBook Air 1.7ghz Intel Core i5 with 4gb Ram will run Parallels and Windows successfully?

It is just to do Basic programming on it for a student.

If so what is the best way to buy Windows for a college student?

Thanks in advance for your help..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

It'll run it ok but if it's a 128GB SSD model it will be cramped. Virtual Box will do the job just as well if not better in my opinion and it's free as well !

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭epiphone

Thanks for your reply. It has a 120gb drive - not sure about the SSD element. This is for a student who wants to program in basic etc. Any idea what is the best way to buy windows. Seems to be no student version anymore. I presume an OEM version will not run on a Mac with Virtual box or parallels?

I'm probably better off buying a low end windows laptop - i think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Being a Mac user I'd obviously like to encourage you towards the Bright Side but if you're work is mostly Windows based then you're probably better off getting a decent Windows computer.

The MacBook Air comes with a 120GB SSD (Larger options are available) which will soon fill up. Windows 8 will need at least 50 GB for normal use and a lot more if you're going to use it for anything serious. It'd be a waste to spend that amount of money on a Mac to just use it for Windows. 1,100 euro would buy a very very decent Windows machine.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭epiphone

Thanks for your advice Ken - We have the Macbook air already and I was just trying for the best priced solution to use basic also.

It would be mainly used in Mac mode.

Advertisement