Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any deals on home alarms with instillation at the moment

Options
  • 25-09-2013 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭

Hi, just bought a house in south side Dublin & looking at installing an alarm ASAP

Eircom phonewatch were my initial thoughts. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you compare like for like Eircom will not be so cheap.
    Add an external bell for starters & your adding on €200 +.
    Shop around and get at least 3 quotes.
    Also check what's covered with maintenance calls etc. Some companies only cover one or 2 call per year, so a call not done right may cost you €100 + down the line.
    IMO a service contact should cover all calls in relation to the maintenance of the system. Why should the user have to pay a call out if the system is not repaired or maintained properly.
    Also ensure all accessible openings are covered by sensors & contacts.
    Some companies use internal PiRs only to keep the cost down. This means someone is actually in your home before the alarm activates.
    Also insist on a call out to survey the property. Don't accept over the phone quotes. You will only be lumbered with surprise extras after.
    Also ask what phone providers you can switch to down the line. Some like PW, will not connect to UPC etc & try to sell you a GSM dialler instead,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭baconsarnie

Thanks Koolkid, that's pretty extensive

Already had one guy say UPC was a no-no & to go GSM. As a total novice, what are the potential drawbacks of a GSM alarm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Thanks Koolkid, that's pretty extensive

Already had one guy say UPC was a no-no & to go GSM. As a total novice, what are the potential drawbacks of a GSM alarm?

Cheap readily available GSM blockers being the main one. Dont let PW tell you otherwise. They can be bought for as little as €5 on ebay and render your monitored alarm useless because it cant dial out to the monitoring centre.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Also beware of those selling GSMs making claims that jammers aren't really used or it doesn't happen on home alarms.
    Applying that logic would be like saying you don't want an alarm, sure you probably won't be broken into..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

KoolKid wrote: »
    Also beware of those selling GSMs making claims that jammers aren't really used or it doesn't happen on home alarms.
    Applying that logic would be like saying you don't want an alarm, sure you probably won't be broken into..

PW engineer tried exactly that with me

• Advertisement

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    PW engineer tried exactly that with me

Yep, that was the line I got from this guy. He said there was no documented evidence that anyone had managed to use a gsm blocker in a break in here

Which sounded a bit dubious. For one, it's not like a burglar would leave a note explaining how they robbed your gaff!!!

So if I have UPC, that rules out eircom. Have 2 more to go

Interestingly this guy was all about internal sensors & nothing about windows or doors too!!!

Also, meant to ask- is a maintenance contract really needed? Are the systems that unreliable that you need more than an annual service?

Interestingly this guy was all about internal sensors & nothing about windows or doors too!!!

Looking to give a cheap quote and a simple quick install..

Sounded quick alright. 650 inc vat for gsm & 4 PiRs.

That price did appeal to me but obviously not keen now!

Sounded quick alright. 650 inc vat for gsm & 4 PiRs.

That price did appeal to me but obviously not keen now!

Is that without an external bell?

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    Is that without an external bell?

Yep, no bell

Advertisement