Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equipment for Subjects LC

• 25-09-2013 8:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

Hey guys, I am just coming to the point of getting my books and equipment finalised for my LC, in 1 years time :eek:

I have made a planner and got most of my books ready as well as prepared my bag for the 2 years to come(I know this might sound too early for prep. and then again TOO late for prep. for the year it is just that I had only gotten my books this week !!, shows how good my school is:p)

So anyways, I hope and would be grateful if ye could help me finish off this and prepare me to have all the materials ready for 5th year and the LC, so I would not have to be in a rush in the summer or coming weeks/months.
    For all subjects I have also bought folders so which I can store notes in.
    If I am missing something please let me know.

English:
    We did not get an English book(Anyone know of any good ones out there, I have heard of the poetry book that you need but do not know the name??)
    Notes copy
    Hw Copy
    Revise Wise English(Junior Cert)
    English notes(Junior Cert)
    *I thought the JC notes would be helpful and I was right, lol
    Text-Book
    Anything else I need ??
    Anyone can recommend me a good revision book for English

Maths:
    Notes copy
    Hw Copy
    Text and Tests 4,5,6,7
    Anything else I need ??
    Anyone can recommend me a good revision book for Maths

Biology:
    Notes copy
    Hw Copy
    Biology Book
    Anything else I need ??
    Anyone can recommend me a good revision book for Biology

Chemistry:
    Notes copy
    Hw Copy
    Chemistry Live+Workbook
    Experiment Copy
    Anything else I need ??
    Anyone can recommend me a good revision book for Chem

Business:
    Notes copy
    Business Express Book
    LC Notes
    Anything else I need ??
    Anyone can recommend me a good revision book for Bus.

Economics(At home, so I need a bit more help in this one)
    2 copies, one for taking down notes another for excercises.
    Understanding Economics(anyone know any better book then this??)
    Anything else I need ??
    Anyone can recommend me a good revision book for Economics

Italian:
    Notes copy
    Hw Copy
    Italian Book
    Anything else I need ??

Ag. Science(At home also after school, so I need a bit more help in this one)
    2 copies, one for taking down notes another for excercises.
    Rapid Revision
    Anyone can recommend me a Ag. Science book ??
    Anything else I need ??

I would really appreciate for the time you would give, even if one of ye's could pick one subject and help me out would mean the world

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

So you haventstarted 5th year yet. Im assuming you're in 3rd year or T.Y now?. If so, will ya take it easy, bit of a quaer time of year to be organising all that stuff! Plenty of time next august for all that craic, take it handy yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Achieve Greatness

So you haventstarted 5th year yet. Im assuming you're in 3rd year or T.Y now?. If so, will ya take it easy, bit of a quaer time of year to be organising all that stuff! Plenty of time next august for all that craic, take it handy yet!!

From what I can gather, the OP is at the beginning of 5th year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

From what I can gather, the OP is at the beginning of 5th year.
    That would make more sense alright. Hard to tell!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

You need a good calculator for Maths & Chemistry, and possibly Business & Economics.

For Chemistry you can save a lot of time in the exam if you have a calculator that solves quadratic equations.
    For Maths it's good to have one that does complex numbers calculations and solves cubic equations.
    In general it's better to have a pixel-based "dot matrix" screen rather than the old LCD "seven-segment" style display.

I use the Sharp EL-W506X. It's perfect, and you can get it in a range of colours, but Sharp haven't released it in Ireland or the UK yet.
    The Sharp EL-W506 has the same functionality but it's the older version. It's nowhere near as sexy but you can get it in shops in Ireland.

Here are the first ebay listings I found that deliver to Ireland but probably aren't the cheapest option.

€23 Sharp EL-W506 from the UK
    €27 Sharp EL-W506XSL from Germany (The "SL" at the end is just a suffix for the silver-coloured version)

Ugly old version: el-w506_sketch.jpg

New sexy version: b8tLuV8.jpg

I think the old "ugly" one looks better than the new ones. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I think the old "ugly" one looks better than the new ones. :p
    Everything new is always better, don't ya know?!! ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

iCrazzy wrote: »
    *I thought the JC notes would be helpful and I was right, lol
    Anyone can recommend me a good revision book for English

I seriously doubt you'll be needed them now.

Anyway, Key Notes looks pretty good for Paper 2. But they're year specific and the texts covered in that might not be what you're doing in class so ask your teacher.
    Maths:
    Notes copy
    Hw Copy
    Text and Tests 4,5,6,7
    Anything else I need ??
    Anyone can recommend me a good revision book for Maths

There aren't any.
    Biology:
    Notes copy
    Hw Copy
    Biology Book
    Anything else I need ??
    Anyone can recommend me a good revision book for Biology

Try Revisewise, you really don't need it right now.
    Absoluvely wrote: »
    I use the Sharp EL-W506X. It's perfect, and you can get it in a range of colours, but Sharp haven't released it in Ireland or the UK yet.
    The Sharp EL-W506 has the same functionality but it's the older version. It's nowhere near as sexy but you can get it in shops in Ireland.

Here are the first ebay listings I found that deliver to Ireland but probably aren't the cheapest option.

€23 Sharp EL-W506 from the UK
    €27 Sharp EL-W506XSL from Germany (The "SL" at the end is just a suffix for the silver-coloured version)

No, no, no, no no :p

Casio fx-83GT PLUS.
    Casio%20Fx-83GT%20Plus.jpg

€10 in Easons ;)

Mind you, I still have use the older one I've had since 2006, fx-83ES:
    casio-fx-83es.jpg
    It's not available any more. I think it looks better but sure it's not about looks :p The newer one has slightly better functionality.

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    There aren't any.

There are now. Our teacher showed us them last week. I think they are Revise Wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13 unmoeglichkeit

Absoluvely wrote: »
    For Chemistry you can save a lot of time in the exam if you have a calculator that solves quadratic equations.
    For Maths it's good to have one that does complex numbers calculations and solves cubic equations.

Calculators that solve equations aren't allowed for the leaving cert (the rules are here). And both of the calculators you mentioned are listed as not allowed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭iCrazzy

Thanks for all help, I really appreciate it, if some more people could join and add a bit of they're knowledge, by the way I am doing my Junior Cert

Joking, I am in 5th year, lol
    About the calculators, I do not think they are that important, I have casio and they work fine for me, sure all calculators are the same, they both give you the same answer in the end eh ??!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

About the calculators, I do not think they are that important, I have casio and they work fine for me, sure all calculators are the same, they both give you the same answer in the end eh ??!!

So long as you're not using a calculator that's forbidden, yes.

Advertisement