Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I drop a subject?

• 25-09-2013 8:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭

Do I have to go through some form-signing process? Or do I just tell my principal?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You just don't show up for any part of the subject.

Absenting yourself from classes for a subject will cause the school an insurance headache, but there is nothing to stop you not sitting an exam/oral/project element.

Your school might still enter you for the subject, but as long as you do not complete any element of the assessment/exam for that subject, it will not appear on your results sheet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭A7XGirl

spurious wrote: »
    You just don't show up for any part of the subject.

Absenting yourself from classes for a subject will cause the school an insurance headache, but there is nothing to stop you not sitting an exam/oral/project element.

Your school might still enter you for the subject, but as long as you do not complete any element of the assessment/exam for that subject, it will not appear on your results sheet.
    So if I don't sit the Chemistry exam in 2014, will it not show up on my results?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭yoho139

It won't. However, you could just talk to your principal and avoid going at this in a completely destructive manner.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A7XGirl wrote: »
    So if I don't sit the Chemistry exam in 2014, will it not show up on my results?

It won't show on your results, no, as there will be no record of any marks for you for Chemistry in Athlone. If however, you handed in a Home Ec. project (for example) and then didn't bother with the exam, you would get the marks you got for the project, but out of the total for project and exam paper.

I agree with yoho139, speak to one of the teachers about this. You might be able to arrange extra help for Chemistry.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

As yoho and spurious said, speak to your teacher or your principal about this rather than just not showing up for classes. There are students in my physics class who realised they didn't want to do physics at all and after some debate with the teacher and principal, came to an agreement where they just sit in the physics class and just work away with their homework or study.

If you just disappear for those classes, depending on your school, there could be consequences.

Also, just to clarify, are we actually talking about Chemistry or was that just an example? You cannot "drop" Irish, English or Maths(Exceptions are made for Irish for foreign nationals and students with learning disabilities).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Days 298

Go up to the principal and don't ask, tell him you are no longer intending on sitting the exam. Be prepared for questioning from the subject teacher. If its business or chemistry it'll still start with, What do you plan on doing in third level? Don't fall for the trick. If its business say science if its science say business/ accounting. Doesn't matter if you lie, it's none of their business what you intend doing really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Days 298 wrote: »
    Go up to the principal and don't ask, tell him you are no longer intending on sitting the exam. Be prepared for questioning from the subject teacher. If its business or chemistry it'll still start with, What do you plan on doing in third level? Don't fall for the trick. If its business say science if its science say business/ accounting. Doesn't matter if you lie, it's none of their business what you intend doing really.

You do realise that teachers aren't asking those questions to purposely piss you off? They're asking them so you don't come back whinging in August when you've got your results but you haven't met the subject requirements because you dropped the required subject and you're shouting the odds because you weren't told you would need the subject?

I took over a leaving cert chemistry class a few years ago, didn't have them in fifth year, there was a girl in the class who informed me the first day that she was dropping chemistry because she found it too hard. I asked her to reconsider for a while, and perhaps rather than just dropping it, do the ordinary level paper. For her it had been an all or nothing consideration. She did sit the ordinary level paper in the end, got on very well in it and as she had biology, she went on to do a science degree. I am sure the chemistry she did in school helped her greatly in first year rather than going in with little or no chemistry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭A7XGirl

I'll be talking to the Principal later today, I can't stand Chemistry anymore. Thanks for all your help.

Advertisement