Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is safe needed for ammo?

Options
  • 25-09-2013 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Is it required to store ammunitions in a safe?

What I am getting at is, do you guys have two safes: one for the shotgun, and one for the ammo?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Safes are so cheap why not get one ? I bought a pretty large one in woodies for 40 or 50 euro, some rawlbolts from chadwicks for less than a tenner,and good to go. Anything to make life difficult for the scumbags.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭bravestar

Is it required to store ammunitions in a safe?

What I am getting at is, do you guys have two safes: one for the shotgun, and one for the ammo?

Thanks

Try not to think about requirements and think about what is responsible instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Snakezilla

Id highly recommend getting a separate safe for ammunition. I think mine cost me something like €79 a few years back and it will hold about 600 shotgun cartridges with a little space left over to fit some boxes of bullets in. Its also handy for those permission letters , gun receipts , dog papers and any other paperwork that I cant afford to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Is it legally required? No, not unless the Super asks for it (in which case, yes, it is as it's within his rights to do so).
    Is it a good idea to get one anyway? Yes, they're cheap and unless you only have a hundred shells and one of those safes with a second lockable compartment inside, it's a pretty decent solution to the "secure storage" part of the legal requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

get a small wall mounted safe with key locks,the digital ones too easy to open,wont say how here but tried mine and was shocked,since got rid of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

I'll get a safe.

Thinking of this: http://www.allsafes.ie/store/Fortify_KAS_Ammo_Cabinet

I think this is the one i got in woodies, seems similar but a lot cheaper.

http://www.woodiesdiy.com/Product/ROK-Large-Keylock-Safe/13344/3.15.1#.UkhdsWt5mSM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

Infairness the woodies one is bigger and has two bolts instead of the mortise lock. And its also that bit heavier which would suggest heavier steel.

Hard to know though till you see them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

Infairness the woodies one is bigger and has two bolts instead of the mortise lock. And its also that bit heavier which would suggest heavier steel.

Hard to know though till you see them both.

The one I quoted is BS7558/92 standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

The one I quoted is BS7558/92 standard.

Ok and

I had a safe that supposedly meet the standard bs something or other and my 4 year old would pry it open it wasn't great at all very light material.

My advise to you would be dont buy a safe unless you can touch it and feel the steel and open close the door and all that before hand.

• Advertisement

Another security tip for safes is to weld (if you have a welder) a length of chain to either side of the gunsafe at the heights of the triggers of your guns. When you put the guns away in the safe, run the chains through the trigger guards and lock them together with a decent quality padlock. Cheap to do and it will delay or deter thieves. Cover the chain with a bit of rubber hose or tube.

Advertisement