Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connect Cisco router and Netopia router wirelessly

• 25-09-2013 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭

I hope this makes sense...

I live in a duplex apartment and the wireless router (UPC - Cisco EPC2425) is connected to the main access point downstairs. I have a PC in my bedroom and the wireless connection is terrible on it.

What I want to do is use an old Eircom Netopia router that I have to basically 'pick up' the wireless signal from the UPC router. This will be connected to the PC via ethernet cable.

I'm sure there are multiple reasons why this won't work. I work in Computers and have done a lot of IT support so I'm comfortable doing 'complex' stuff, but networking is still an alien concept to me.

Anyone any suggestions or just fancy humiliating me feel free :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DieselPowered

You have a couple of options to make this work,but as you point out already, your idea with the Eircom router won't work.

The UPC - Cisco Router EPC2425 connects to the Broadband service and gives out WiFi locally. The Eircom Netopia Router does the same job, so it won't take (receive) in Wifi signal from the UPC Cisco and convert that to the Ethernet cable for your PC.

You need to at least connect a wireless access point (not a router) to the UPC Cisco Router via an ethernet cable and move it either upstairs or closers to the entrance to upstairs to extend your Wifi access/signal to your bedroom PC.

Other posts will suggest using the inline power plugs that carry ethernet (network signal) via power sockets, but I have not used these myself, so I dont know how good they are.

Another option is a high gain antenna that plugs directly into the back of the PC to pick up the WiFi signal from downstairs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭degsie

As mentioned in the last post powerline plugs (homeplugs) are a good solution. You can get ones that also act as a wireless repeater/extender.

Advertisement