Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4G going live tomorrow

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

guil wrote: »

iPhones will not be included at launch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Speedtest performed by the journal was impressive.

50mbps download.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Meh. It seems to me that they're intentionally crippling 3G speeds to make 4G
    appear faster than it is. At least Three are anyway. Their 3G service has dis improved
    shockingly in the last 3-4 months it's barely usable anymore.

L5 wrote: »
    Meh. It seems to me that they're intentionally crippling 3G speeds to make 4G
    appear faster than it is. At least Three are anyway. Their 3G service has dis improved
    shockingly in the last 3-4 months it's barely usable anymore.

I don't think so, 3G is oversubscribed and signal strength has never been great. Also I've never seen it break the 8mbps marker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

I don't think so, 3G is oversubscribed and signal strength has never been great. Also I've never seen it break the 8mbps marker

Maybe so, but there's no denying Three's 3G has gone to the dogs in the last 6 months. I'm here in dublin city centre , standing outside with full 3G signal and barely getting over 0.5mb/s on speedtest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

When will Three be launching 4G?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

€49 plan will have a cap of 3GB and a €59 plan will have a 6GB plan. :eek:

So basically the plan is to screw you stupid for going over your allowance, in theory if you got the tests speeds of 60mbps you could use up the 6GB in about 1 minute 40 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

I've had 4g the last couple of weeks, since it's been available I've changed from iPhone though. My gf now has my 5 and has noticed huge battery drain with 4g. Having it just turned on, sitting in her desk with nothing syncing it's draining her battery ridiculously fast. Roughly 10% per hour. Turn LTE off and it drains by about 1% per hour, or less.

The speeds are very handy though, quick test just there

273316.png

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭paddymc1

O2 is rubbish with its 3G for the last few months. Been on to them and was told we are aware of issue but no ETA for it to be fixed...think there all at it with the 4G coming...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭eorpach

Vodafone Ireland have also made their 4G announcement - and I'm out of contract with Three. Happy days!

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/34303-vodafone-to-offer-4g-data/

• Advertisement

Graham she hasn't push email on by any chance, it could be the hunting on 4G zapping the battery..

Settings > mail, contacts, calendar > fetch new data ( switch to off) should see a big jump in battery.

So basically the plan is to screw you stupid for going over your allowance, in theory if you got the tests speeds of 60mbps you could use up the 6GB in about 1 minute 40 seconds.

It wouldn't even last that I don't think. If the speed is 50Mb/s then that's 6.25MB/s.

So 6000MB/6.25MB = 960 seconds = 16 minutes

I understand that you'd never get download speeds of 6.25 but is my logic correct? It's been a while since I done this kinda stuff!

Graham she hasn't push email on by any chance, it could be the hunting on 4G zapping the battery..

Settings > mail, contacts, calendar > fetch new data ( switch to off) should see a big jump in battery.

I don't think so but I'll have a check when she gets home, thanks for the tip!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

I've had 4g the last couple of weeks, since it's been available I've changed from iPhone though. My gf now has my 5 and has noticed huge battery drain with 4g. Having it just turned on, sitting in her desk with nothing syncing it's draining her battery ridiculously fast. Roughly 10% per hour. Turn LTE off and it drains by about 1% per hour, or less.

The speeds are very handy though, quick test just there

Are you with meteor? I went to the store 2 weeks ago and a very rude assistant told me

A) 4G is not available, no sims to give out. Basically, get lost

B) iPhone 5S is the only 4G phone on the market

I've an iphone 5 and hd blatantly said no way, won't work. 4G is not available on meteor or this handset

Are you with meteor? I went to the store 2 weeks ago and a very rude assistant told me

A) 4G is not available, no sims to give out. Basically, get lost

B) iPhone 5S is the only 4G phone on the market

I've an iphone 5 and hd blatantly said no way, won't work. 4G is not available on meteor or this handset
    Well the guy was wrong on a few parts, the iPhone 5 100% certainly is 4g as my girlfriend is using one with 4g currently. I'm using a Galaxy S4 which (as my picture proves!) can also receive 4g.

But unfortunately I'm not on meteor. Living in brisbane atm. The guy you got in meteor sounds like an ignorant ass

EDIT, Just to add also, my screen lock button was acting up so I got the handset replaced in the apple store. The guy was seeing it up for herself then and he even pointed out he was going to turn off LTE because 4g eats your battery (that wasn't directed at drunkmonkey btw, it's just too clarify that the 5 does have 4g :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Well the guy was wrong on a few parts, the iPhone 5 100% certainly is 4g as my girlfriend is using one with 4g currently. I'm using a Galaxy S4 which (as my picture proves!) can also receive 4g.

But unfortunately I'm not on meteor. Living in brisbane atm. The guy you got in meteor sounds like an ignorant ass

But I thought that iPhones do not work on 4G until apple certifies the network first. Both eircom (meteor) and vodafone has said that apple has not certified them and so the iPhone wont work on their networks...

As I said I live in brisbane so possibly Apple have certified the networks over here. The guy in the shop was still wrong in saying the only phone available in Ireland that's capable of receiving 4g is the 5s. Sure the S3 is 4g ready afair

I never said anyone could receive 4g in Ireland yet (as this thread is the first I've even heard about it) but there's plenty of handsets available that can get it when the time comes

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

List of countries that LTE works with iPhone 5 (No Ireland)

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

List of countries that LTE works with iPhone 5 (No Ireland)
    That's because up until today, no one has had it.

HTC One
    Sony Z
    Galaxy S4

Are all 4G ready.

• Advertisement

Galaxy S3
    Note 2&3 also

In fairness you need to have a fairly new phone to avail of it

Edit: just checked the girlfriends phone there, fetch data is off. 4g just seems to eat the battery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The original iPhone 5 only supports EE in the UK which is using 1800MHz

The meteor system appears to be using 800MHz as will most of the UK networks.

Don't fret too much though because the lower frequency should mean that they get much better signal propagation.

800MHz is being made up from the old UHF analogue PAL TV spectrum that has been feed up

The iPhone 5S/C and most of the 4G capable Androids and Windows 8 phones seem to support all bands likely to be used here by all networks.

Meteor seem to be offering unlimited internet until next year. However their various caps are ridiculously low of they were implemented as is.

4G power usage is typically abysmal. It'll take a few generations yet to refine the chipsets.
    3G used to be similarly power hungry at launch.

I would guess you'll see more efficient handsets as the years go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Meteor are listing the iPhone 5 as '4G Ready' so maybe it will work over here.

Plans also start at €30 for the Sim Only option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

annoying that you have to take a 4G plan. Going to have to do the whole 'Actually i'm going to take my 10 years of custom else where' line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

annoying that you have to take a 4G plan. Going to have to do the whole 'Actually i'm going to take my 10 years of custom else where' line.

I'm on the 30 Day Sim only plan for €15 and don't want to lose it. Would love to try out 4G though. I wouldn't mind forking out for an extra €5 but anymore and I wouldn't be too interested. The only difference is speed after all, your gaining no more data so they should really offer it as a free upgrade for people on existing plans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

DubDJ wrote: »
    The only difference is speed after all, your gaining no more data so they should really offer it as a free upgrade for people on existing plans.

They are giving unlimited data until March.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

kenon wrote: »
    They are giving unlimited data until March.

I would strongly suspect that's a 'test the water' type policy.

Their caps as described are way too low and I guess this gives them an opportunity to reassess the situation.

I wouldn't be surprised if more plans arrive with vaguer acceptable usage policies and no caps in March.

It will also depend on what the competition launches too.

Vodafone's very close to launch at this stage and it remains to be seen what happens with O2 and Three which are still 'merger pending' if the competition authorities sign off on it.

I could see that delaying their respective rollouts if they're going to end up as one merged network they'll want to make use of the combined network resources.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Beagslife

HTC One
    Sony Z
    Galaxy S4

Are all 4G ready.

Nokia Lumia 820 and 920 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hannibal6.0

Cant find where I read it now but I believe Meteor are actually offering unlimited 4G data on all plans until March of next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sleephead

Why are iPhones not able to avail of this?

Advertisement