Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4G going live tomorrow

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Sleephead wrote: »
    Why are iPhones not able to avail of this?

Meteor says they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hannibal6.0

Why are iPhones not able to avail of this?

Both Samsung and Apple wont release the ability to use 4G on their devices until they have performed a number of tests on the network. Once a network meets the standards set by these manufactures they then push an update to enable phones to connect to 4G. Samsung have obviously already carried out these tests and pushed the update out, but I have heard that Apple in general are extremely slow in performing these tests and certifying telcos, which obviously seems to be the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Sleephead

you'd imagine Apple would try to get this available as quickly as possible or else it might affect sales and hand an advantage to their competitors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

The Journal did a 4g test on meteor with a Samsung?

they will both allow it, its down to the provider whether they provide it or not, the handset just need to be capable of the frequency. Nothing to do with the manufacturer.

So Vodafone are holding back 4g from iPhones?

Despite all the boasts about being the fastest smartphone network?! kind of defeats the claim, maybe it should claim its the fastest on certain handsets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

you'd imagine Apple would try to get this available as quickly as possible or else it might affect sales and hand an advantage to their competitors

I'm sure they'll have it ready by the time the 5s comes to Ireland so it ain't going to affect their sales too much I don't think

The Journal did a 4g test on meteor with a Samsung?

they will both allow it, its down to the provider whether they provide it or not, the handset just need to be capable of the frequency. Nothing to do with the manufacturer.

As I mentioned Samsung have already approved it hence how the Journal did a 4G speed test. Your statement is incorrect as for certain devices like iPhone 5 and the S4 approval is needed from the manufacturer. If the firmware version doesn't enable 4G then you wont connect to it.. If you can find something that says differently I would be happy to admit I was wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

L5 wrote: »
    Maybe so, but there's no denying Three's 3G has gone to the dogs in the last 6 months. I'm here in dublin city centre , standing outside with full 3G signal and barely getting over 0.5mb/s on speedtest

I'm in Dublin too and over the last couple of months my data connection has gotten worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

I am going to pop into eMobile at lunchtime & see what all this 4G fuss is about. I am on the unlimited plan with eMobile & rep on the phone told me that to pop into a store they will issue me with a 4G sim. I am on iPhone 5.

I'll report back, if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭try

iPhone 5 model A1429 LTE bands 1, 3, 5 (2100, 1850, 800)
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/34307-eircom-to-launch-first-4g/
    Dublin launch on 1800 MHz - iPhone compatible
    Carlow / Athlone launch on 800 MHz - iPhone not compatible

Am I right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Rang Meteor there. They said I would have to take on the €49 or the €59 a month contract (24 months) to get 4G as I am in contract.

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

try wrote: »
    iPhone 5 model A1429 LTE bands 1, 3, 5 (2100, 1850, 800)
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/34307-eircom-to-launch-first-4g/
    Dublin launch on 1800 MHz - iPhone compatible
    Carlow / Athlone launch on 800 MHz - iPhone not compatible

Am I right?

Indo article on the iPhone 4G questions
    http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/vodafone-to-launch-4g-mobile-phone-services-next-month-29610522.html

"One reason for this is that Apple has not yet ‘certified’ Irish 4G networks for use with iPhone 5 models."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Hi prettyboy81
    Though 4G launch is today, this is not yet available on iPhones.. We will announce when 4G is available for iPhones.
    I hope this saves you a trip...
    Tony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The iPhone 5C and 5S are more European 4G capable. The 5 is very limited.

800MHz is a MUCH better option. I don't think the networks are going to worry too much if it doesn't work with one legacy handset.

Signals at lower frequencies give you much better coverage. That's part of the reason who the very high frequencies used with 3G 2100MHz tended to provide rubbish indoor coverage vs 900MHz GSM

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The iPhone 5C and 5S are more European 4G capable. The 5 is very limited.

800MHz is a MUCH better option. I don't think the networks are going to worry too much if it doesn't work with one legacy handset.

Signals at lower frequencies give you much better coverage. That's part of the reason who the very high frequencies used with 3G 2100MHz tended to provide rubbish indoor coverage vs 900MHz GSM

But will the iPhone 5 be able to pick up the 4g signal in Ireland?

But will the iPhone 5 be able to pick up the 4g signal in Ireland?

It depends where and which network.

Ireland's networks are using Bands 3, 8 and 20.

The iPhone 5's only supports Band 3.

It seems Meteor are using 1800MHz in Dublin (and possibly might use that in Cork and elsewhere) but they're using Band 20 (800Mhz) in Athlone and Carlow.

As yet, we don't know what the other operators would use and eircom/meteor may use 800MHz at other sites around Dublin. The frequency plan won't be messed up just to suit one legacy iPhone model. They'll be designing it to maximise coverage and capacity.

Basically, the iPhone 5 is compatible with some Irish sites, but not all of them. It's not fully compliant with European 4G frequency plans basically and it's only a bit of random pot luck that it happens to work with EE in the UK which uses 1800Mhz (Band 3) too.

The 5C and 5S are 100% compatible though.

Apple really shouldn't have marketed that device in Europe without the 800MHz band in particular.

Thanks,

Will need to watch out for what frequency Vodafone use in Cork so then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭justindublin

So basically, we need to wait for this apple approval.

How do you launch 4G for smartphones when the worlds most popular smartphone model isn't supported? :confused:

Looks like we've gotta wait for a custom carrier bundle.

How do you launch 4G for smartphones when the worlds most popular smartphone model isn't supported? :confused:

Maybe the Vodafone rep can clarify what will or wont be availibe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Just off the live chat to meteor...
    B: Welcome to the meteor-sales webchat, my name is B how can I help you today?
    B: Hi N
    N: Hi there I'm looking for more info on the 4G plans? none of them really suit me and prefer my 1month rolling plan with 10Gb internet add-on that I have at moment.
    B: I understand N, are you in a 4g area?
    N: Yes, I'm in Dublin
    N: the Mega Simo 4G is closest to my plan at the moment, but 1GB of Data isn't enough.
    B: Perfect , I understand these plans are set here online N.
    N: Ok, But is there any way I can get 4G on my current plan?
    B: you will have to upgrade your plan and change the sim for the 4g.
    N: Oh ok, time for me to find a new operator. Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

Poor B is devastated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭try

So basically, we need to wait for this apple approval.

Looks like we've gotta wait for a custom carrier bundle.

4G will be on 3 frequencies in Ireland. iPhone 5 can only pick up 1 of those so it will take more than a carrier bundle 2/3 of the time

Basically no, it won't be 100% compatible.
    Apple didn't claim that it would be.

It's quite possible that no network will use
    1800MHz everywhere so you might just need to buy an iPhone 5S/C for full coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,325 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

3 say their iPhone 5 is 4G capable and are selling it as such.

http://www.three.ie/online/Shop/DeviceListing.aspx?tf=contract&p=voice&features=F19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

3 say their iPhone 5 is 4G capable and are selling it as such.

http://www.three.ie/online/Shop/DeviceListing.aspx?tf=contract&p=voice&features=F19

Three are only using two bands for now as they didn't buy any spectrum in the 800Mhz range, although they will get access to some once the O2 deal is complete.
    I suspect they will concentrate on 1800Mhz range for now.
    But where they use 900Mhz only, the iphone won't have 4G coverge.

To be honest, if you are planning to use 4G in Ireland, I would not buy an iPhone 5. It's just too limited.
    If you can shell out for a 5C or 5S, that's the best option for Apple devices at present.

If you already have an iPhone 5, just hope your network mostly uses 1800MHz or switch to one that does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

According this article they all got some 1800mhz.

4G Auction
    So what is the issue?

murpho999 wrote: »
    According this article they all got some 1800mhz.

4G Auction
    So what is the issue?

Yeah, but it's unclear as to what they'll use and where.

Normally with the GSM network they use 900MHz as their main band in areas with low density populations and then supplement it with 1800MHz in urban areas.

So, it could be quite a similar plan for 4G with 800MHz in most areas and then 1800MHz in a few areas with extra pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Yeah, but it's unclear as to what they'll use and where.

Normally with the GSM network they use 900MHz as their main band in areas with low density populations and then supplement it with 1800MHz in urban areas.

So, it could be quite a similar plan for 4G with 800MHz in most areas and then 1800MHz in a few areas with extra pressure.

iPhone5 was taken down from the meteor site under 4G ready phones. I asked yesterday and they said they need to work on configuring the network to work with the iPhone 5 but it'll be a few weeks

They'll text customers when the iPhone 5 is compatible with their 4G network

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

There is 3 different types of iPhone 5 each with different band support. Depends which model you have. I don't know are the models country specific but I have a link here that shows what they support

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP655

Hope this helps. I think the CDMA model was only available in USA and Japan not sure on that tho.

I have the A1429 model which supports bands 1,3,5.(2110-2170hz, 1805-1880hz, 869-894hz)

As for me I'm not to worried about 4g as it won't be where I live for a long time. Only just have 3G a couple of years.

Advertisement