Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I set up a system to share my DSL internet with sister 1 mile away?

• 25-09-2013 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭

Lads searching on internet for this. I can get DSL internet, sister can't.

Is there a way of setting up a private wireless link to her without much hassle or cost?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

efb wrote: »
    Lads searching on internet for this. I can get DSL internet, sister can't.

Is there a way of setting up a private wireless link to her without much hassle or cost?

Without much cost? Not really.
    What's your budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

If you have line of sight between you, yes.

A pair of Ubiquiti NanoStations suitably configured will do this perfectly.

You'd need someone to set them up who knows what he's doing though.

PM me if you need help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Joeface

Line of sight , 2 wifi dongles some long usb cables and 2 wok's for something cheap and ugly that will work

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WokFi

messed with this a bit between my brother and sisters places , Her house sits more than 1km way on a hill behind his property but they have a perfect LOS.
    Speed wise the connection was at about 5-10mb on the WIFI (might have been slower) , same reason as you OP one could get internet the other could not. was only up for a month or so before the exchange was improved and both could get DSL . it is silly but it did work :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Mikrotik

http://www.mikrotik.com/

This would probably do it for $59

Advertisement