Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iOS7..........Disappointed.

• 25-09-2013 10:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Anybody else feel disappointed overall with iOS7? I have an iPhone 4 and I think it has taken a step back in looks and speed, iOS 6.1.3 was pretty much excellent, on this newer version I find everything is slow.

Anybody else feel the same??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭crashplan

Have it installed on an iPhone 5 and I find it great.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I love it, my GF hates it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Dont like it. Have it on ipad.

Specifically - had to disable the Control Center - kept randomly appearing like an annoying Windows 8 hot corner.

Inconsistency of keyboards - the transparent one makes it particularly hard to see if caps lock is on.

Standard font - well, if youre out of your 30s you probably find the font is just too hard to read. Had to bold it to make it more legible.

I really do not like the solid grey block of the dock - preferred the old look.

The icons have become clunky looking and sort of old fashioned, they used to be slicker.

Parallax - wtf? Settings, disabled immediately.

Seemed to be draining my battery a bit faster too - although I may have imagined that.

The redesign of Safari - whats with all these little line icons?

And some of my previously fine apps are crashing randomly now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭johnsds

Twitter has gone sick since the "upgrade".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

kceire wrote: »
    I love it, my GF hates it!
    This. She hates the control centre constantly popping up when she's trying to scroll :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

I love it. Simple and less clutter. I especially love what they have done with Safari - a massive improvement in every way. Love the eye candy too. Finding it hard to come up with something I don't like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

I think it's gorgeous! Though a friend with a 4S now can't even turn on WiFi. Lots of these things will be fixed with 7.0.1 though, part of any rollout of pretty much any OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

Looks like iOS 7 is marmite.

I was actually going to sell my S4 and stick with my iPhone...until I installed iOS 7. Hated it. It looks terrible. Almost childish.

Didn't like the S4's Touchwiz either, but installed a different launcher etc etc and changed what I didn't like.

Sticking with Android for now. Still looking forward to the next iOS overhaul, hope it's not another 6 years.

GF loves it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think majority of complaints are from people who firstly just don't like change and secondly don't use it properly.

For example the complaint of control centre popping up in apps can easily be fixed in settings.

I'm very happy with the upgrade and think it's huge improvement. No more skeumorphism just functionality and everything works.

Given time people will adapt and learn it and complaints will disappear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I hated the new look initially, but I'm warming towards it now. Using a 4s.

On the downside, my battery is draining faster, even though I've restricted location services and background app refresh.

I've had to reset 7 or 8 times due to apps crashing (safari, facebook), and while most of the time the speed is fine, sometimes when I press a button (for example to open a message), there is a 3-4 sec delay before the message finally opens.

I'm hoping they will issue an update very soon to fix these issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'm a bit on the fence with it too for many of the same reasons already mentioned. I think the look and feel of the App icons and the main dock have taken several steps backwards. They look cartoon-ish and over-sized IMO. I hate the new Phone dial pad and the lock-screen numeric pad - big round buttons like you'd see on a toddler's phone! My GF asked me lastnight if there's any way she can change the numeric pad on the lock screen back to how it was.

I'm not keen on some of the changes to Safari, e.g. switching between tabs isn't as clear and you can't tell how many tabs you've opened.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think majority of complaints are from people who firstly just don't like change and secondly don't use it properly.

For example the complaint of control centre popping up in apps can easily be fixed in settings.

I'm very happy with the upgrade and think it's huge improvement. No more skeumorphism just functionality and everything works.

Given time people will adapt and learn it and complaints will disappear.
    I didn't know that about the control centre :o

I like but the performance can be sluggish at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I'm not keen on some of the changes to Safari, e.g. switching between tabs isn't as clear and you can't tell how many tabs you've opened.

That's because you can have unlimited tabs. Not sure what the problem is with switching tabs - you can see previews of all your tabs - surely it's easier.

I do take the point about people resisting change - it can be a bit disorientating at first, but after a couple of weeks I reckon most people will be used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dampintheattic

johnsds wrote: »
    Twitter has gone sick since the "upgrade".

Twitter is sick by nature. For retarded retards;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭OriginV

Apple just trying to be like the master race Android!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

There are a couple of little niggles but overall I like it, some of the colours are bit garish to my eye, I don't like the new method for killing apps, I find it takes longer, I know it's only milliseconds but its just of those thing that grate on me. I don't like the new on/off switches for airplane mode, hotspot, wifi etc.

But again these are just small things, I like the performance, it runs well, it's a bit of a battery killer on the 4s, that kind of thing is to be expected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Frank Lee Midere

Well I went back to iOS 6 but liked it without the bugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

OriginV wrote: »
    Apple just trying to be like the master race Android!

Behave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I think this is like when facebook change their layout.

OMG ffs mark why u change dis ting i usd to luv it, i r quittin.

a week later.

they spend every waking second on facebook.

That being said there are a few things i don't like about iOS 7 but they are being I'm a fussy person and they wouldn't even be noticed by normal people. Overall it's a great change.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I’m very happy with the overall direction of the new UI. The multiple layers, the sense of visual depth and the sliding screens. Far superior to the all-over-the-shop UI in previous versions. There are some issues with the iPad version and the stock apps need work, but all in good time. The important thing is Apple have created a solid foundation to build on. Third party developers are already exploring the potential of the new OS and what they do will inform and inspire Apple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭johnsds

Its utter sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Mum has it on her 4S now and she loves it. She finds the torch very handy as well as how easy it is to find the brightness controls and airplane mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I love it, so much refinement in it, so many small touched that make the whole a lot more pleasing to use.

I could never go back. Just using apps that haven't been updated yet makes you realise how much more advanced iOS 7 is.

Sure it has some bugs but they will be ironed out. You can't expect a major redesign to be totally bug free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

mad muffin wrote: »
    Just using apps that haven't been updated yet makes you realise how much more advanced iOS 7 is.

Can you give an example?

All I'm noticing is apps crashing far more frequently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Can you give an example?

The key board, the layout the gestures.

Apps like vert for instance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Can you give an example?

Third party apps? That’s not Apple’s problem. Developers had plenty of time to get their apps ready for iOS 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭GorillaRising

Something happened over the weekend..I started using iOS7 again....it's staying this time. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

It's utterly destroyed my battery life.

Really miss swiping right to get the search bar. Now you have pull down which brings down notifications instead if you're too close to the top of the screen.

It's definitely not as smooth. And this is on an iphone 5 ffs. It's almost imperceptible but I'm a total fanatic for loading times and sluggishness. There are too many overly complicated animations sucking up horsepower.

The stock calendar app has allot more features which I think takes from it. It defaults to a weird scroll down day feed rather than the view you left it with (I always preferred the monthly view).

I like the new sms app. Much nice to look at with more date/time info.

The new swipe up options are very well thought out (if totally robbed from android).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

quad_red wrote: »
    It's utterly destroyed my battery life.

Some people have reported terrible battery life for a few days and then it settles down, for some reason. How long have you had it installed?

Also, was it a fresh install? Sometimes upgrading from previous versions of iOS can result in battery drain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Zcott wrote: »
    Some people have reported terrible battery life for a few days and then it settles down, for some reason. How long have you had it installed?

Also, was it a fresh install? Sometimes upgrading from previous versions of iOS can result in battery drain.

Since last Thursday. A 100% fresh install.

I used the phone on the train this morning for around half an hour checking the internet, emails.

I was on a 12 minute phone call at around half ten.

And my battery is now on 42%.

The only thing pinging in notifications is whatsapp. I turned off auto brightness, turned off background apps updates, turned off 3d/parallax, disabled email pushing and the only apps that are pumping notifications are whatsapp and any.do.

(and even then the number of whatsapp messages coming through is limited).

ps. I did the update to 7.0.2 OTA and it appears to have made the situation worse.

Advertisement