Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is the best time to plant summer blooming bushes

• 25-09-2013 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

am considering planting at least seven different types of flowering shrubs in my garden to create a border to separate into two parts ie forsythia,oleander,rose of sharon etc and was wondering when was the best time to plant them.considering we are two thirds of the way through autumn but if plant them in october will they be able to survive any winter frost?I know they need to be settled with copious rain before the dry period of spring and summer but i plant in January and water them will they make.When will the best time to plant them be?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭rje66

am considering planting at least seven different types of flowering shrubs in my garden to create a border to separate into two parts ie forsythia,oleander,rose of sharon etc and was wondering when was the best time to plant them.considering we are two thirds of the way through autumn but if plant them in october will they be able to survive any winter frost?I know they need to be settled with copies rain before the dry period of spring and summer but i plant in January and water them will they make.When will the best time to plant them be?
    Planting now is fine, but if you can wait till Mar then you miss the winter and the possibility of hard frosts.wouldnt worry too much about 'settled with copies rain'etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

I would Plant now,
    The soil is and will remain warm for several more months you will have less need to worry about watering so most plants will have more time to root into the ground before next summer and the risk of drying out in the soil from a spring planted shrub which may try to grow more shoots/stems first and become more stressed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Autumn is the iðeal time. But prepare the ground first. Do it now by digging over the site making a generous hole for each one. Mix in some compost or manure and fill the holes back in. Let them settle for a few weeks and plant out your shrubs out say the end of October. That's generally ok but ask if any of the plants you are interested in are particularly tender.

Advertisement