Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there anything to be said for another mass?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Hoping the start of the week was nicely refocused. ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭RJM85

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hoping the start of the week was nicely refocused. ;):)

Thanks. So far, so good...

Monday: Run 4.75miles easy, zone 2. Had planned 4 but misjudged the route. No worries.
    Cycle: an hour on the rollers, zone 2. Kept good control of what I ate! For some reason the foam roller slipped ny mind before bed - will make sure to get that in today. It has definitely been working.

Tuesday: planning an identical day to yesterday except my lunchtime run was actually 4 miles today.

Good things:
    - motivation is there all week - getting things done, eating clean etc.
    - my weight is down to 11st 10 this morning :)
    - my knee seems to have more or less healed up

Bad things:
    - I sprained my ankle on this afternoons run.

Ice, nurofen, and rest tonight I think. See how it is in the morning.

Not updated this in a while. I'm a disgrace. Run up to Christmas is (as normal) mental - work party, annual catch up with college mates, a wedding, etc. Ticking over as best I can and attempting to not put on any weight. I'm about break even at this stage!

Putting on weight has been my specialty this holiday as I have embraced the season of excess in pure culinary standards!! Well done to you if you are breaking even at this stage of the game. I sincerely hope you've had a wonderful Christmas - a day filled with peace and joy. And I hope Santa was able to cram a few surprises down the chimney for you last night. :)

• Advertisement

Right, Christmas period (almost) over, it's time to get back to a bit of structure. I've basically spent the past two weeks enjoying myself - i.e. a decent amount of running a little less cycling, and eh, no swimming. I've tried to keep the over indulgence to a manageable level and seem to have more or less succeeded - I was 11st 8lbs on New Years Eve morning which is 1 lb off my goal weight for end February and the same as I was before the Christmas break. Granted, I've eaten all round me and managed no training since the 10 mile TT on New year's eve (yes, that's just two days off , but y'know, I feel seeriiously fat atm). Out tonight for a meal with friends and then tomorrow is the day for getting back to everything as it should be. I'm purposely not going to weigh myself until late-ish next week, so I never need know the full extent of the horrible carb bloat!

The 10 mile TT was interesting if nothing else. I covered the course in 26:09 on my road bike (no tt bike just yet), which was good enough for 3rd clubman on the day - same position as last year. However, the time was a minute slower than last year. While that drop wasn't unexpected (nearly 2st less weight = less power on a flat course, and less bike training), I can't help but be a little disappointed. That said, my goals are later in the year - no point in being a winter world champ or anything like that.

In terms of goals, the two things that have captured my imagination more so than anything else are the Half Ireman in August, and a rematch with DCM in October , as such I'm thinking that they'll be my B and A goals respectively for the year.

In terms of structured training; that probably realistically means that the first 2-3 months of 2014 are primarily 'base' months. The priority is running; I'm going to set the target of avg 40 miles per week - this will mean 6 days a week with a long run each week - runs will be prioritised. Of the other two disciplines , swimming is by far my weakest. I'm going to aim for 3 quality sessions per week, with these to be prioritised over bike. Bike will get the leftovers effectively, but as this is a)probably my strongest discipline, and b) probably my favourite; I'm guessing I'll hold steady-ish. I will aim to get one quality 2hr session per week on the bike.

Wife is shouting at me that it's time to go so I'll update the rest of this later!

Good luck on your 2014 goals, and Happy New Year! :)

Friday: plan - 5 miles steady. Done.
    Also did today's planned swim (short intervals - 10x50m with 20s rest, 5x100m with 40s rest) due to planned babys room painting today. Found the swim tough (that's what I get for avoiding the pool for 3 weeks), will need to build up endurance as well.

Saturday: plan - LSR. 15 miles easy. Focused on the slow part as I've been guilty of doing these too fast in the past. Lovely morning for it. Really enjoyed the run.

Tomorrow: plan is 2.5 - 3hr bike. And a 5 mile run.

Sunday sessions done as planned. 75k / 2.5 hrs bike and 5 miles @ a little over 8 minute mile pace. Miserable weather for the bike, was fine until the rain got through my 'waterproof' gloves.

Tomorrow:
    - 5 mile run
    - shorter interval session swim (probably same as Friday's - 10x50m and 5x100m)

Mixed week this week; Diet was good; Weight is going in the right direction (under 11 1/2 stone for the first time ever!); Hit all my midweek planned sessions. Weekend left a bit to be desired though. First week back to work after 2 weeks off for Christmas meant that I was exhausted come Friday evening - that led to more sleeping than normal on saturday and sunday which knocked on into delayed / shortened sessions.

Monday
    Run: 5 mile easy
    Bike: 45 minute interval session. 5 min warm up, 7 x4 minute on, 1 off., 5 min cool down.

Tuesday
    Run: 5 miles. 5 min warm up, 5 x 4 min on, 1 min off, 10 min warm down.
    Swim: 1k straight swim
    This swim will hopefully build to my 'endurance swim' which will build to a comfortable 2.5k.

Wednesday
    Bike: 40 minute z2 rollers
    Had hoped to get an hour in on the bike, but just wasn't possible.

Thursday
    Run: 5 miles. 1 mile warm up, 3 mile tempo, 1 mile cool down
    'Tempo' run showed me how far off fitness I am - 7 minute miles were agony . Hopefully this will show steady progress over the coming weeks / months.
    swim: interval session. 100m warm up, 5 x 100m 40 sec rest, 5 x 50m 20 sec rest
    Would like to have done another 5 x 50m, but I wasn't able for it. Consistency in getting to the pool 3 times a week is going to be hard, but probably necessary.

Friday

Saturday
    Run: 11.5 mile LSR
    Unplanned lie in meant this was done at 10pm; not home till shortly before midnight.

Sunday
    Bike: 60 min z2 rollers.
    Run: 3.5 mile tempo
    Late night session the night before meant that I opted for 8 hours sleep rather than getting out early for the planned 2.5hr bike.

Overall; not terrible, but could do better.

Had been thinking of not getting a CI racing license, but maybe the shock of racing might be good for me!

First planned race is a duathlon on 9th February. Won't be expecting too much from myself - will allow me to try out nutrition etc. and again - the shock of race conditions might be good!

• Advertisement

Poor week this week. Some of it was outside of my control, but other bits I have nobody to blame but myself.

Monday
    Nowt. Had Tuesday booked off for a hospital appointment with the wife to check on baby (everything is excellent!), as a result I ended up having to work through lunch and work late on Monday. 12 hr day plus my normal 4 hour (2 each way) commute barely left time to grab dinner, never mind any training.

Tuesday
    Run: 5 miles, zone 2. These easy runs seem to be getting slightly faster - might have been just that I was rested from Monday, but hopefully it's a good sign.
    Swim: only had time for 500m before the pool closed in the end.

Wednesday
    See Monday :(

Thursday
    More of the same, although I did manage to grab what I'll call a 5 mile tempo run at lunch.

Friday
    Frazzled from a busy week - snap decision before leaving the house that I'd take the day off. Ended up having time to run at lunch, but had no gear with me. No training is ever done on a Friday evening, as Mrs RJM85 deserves attention too!

Saturday
    Run: 10 mile LSR pace. would like to have had it longer, but had other social commitments with the in-laws.

Sunday
    Cycle: 147k with the club. Per the plan I should have done some running and some swimming, but after a) the week preceeding and b) my general mood the past while I decided to join the regular Sunday spin with the lads. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Craic, cold hands, rain, coffee, sprint for the town sign on the way home - mentally I think todays spin was a good move. I was also pleasantly surprised with my cycling form too - felt fresh at the end of the spin despite it being almost twice the distance I've done in any one go since November - considering I ended up doing the lions share of the work in the last almost 50k as people started to suffer; I'm pretty happy with that.

On the weight front I'm now hovering about the 72kg mark - another bit of progress (I've also started getting a few cyclists compliments - "you're looking awful gaunt" from the non-runners/cyclists; and "you're looking lean" from the cyclists! :D). I picked up a Tanita body composition scales which was sitting waiting for me when I got home Friday evening too. It puts me at 13.7% BF which I think might be underestimating slightly. Nonetheless, I can track measurements over time, and I've revised my goal weight down slightly to 68kg which equates to roughly 10% BF presuming no muscle loss (easier said than done!).

Further to last weeks post, I've paid for my 2014 CI license - so I'll have to do some bike racing now! Need to sort out entry to the planned Duathlon series this week.

I'm also looking to arrange purchase of a TT bike as my 'last gift to myself before baby comes and steals all my money until I'm dead' :D

Back to the plan this week. 20 miles running for the week and feck all swimming isn't good enough.

One step forwards two steps back! Week started off well, and even though I didn't get any swimming in during the week, I was still at least getting a run and bike in (bikes were shorter than I would like, but fitting everything in around work I'll take what I can get! All went to sh!t on Friday.

Monday
    Bike: 30 minutes easy rollers- legs were tired from the long session on Sunday.

Tuesday
    Run: 5 miles. Built from easy pace to 6:30 pace in last mile. Felt good.
    Bike: 30 minutes z2 rollers.

Wednesday
    Bike: 30 minute z2 rollers

Thursday
    Run: 5 miles.
    No evening session due to working late.

Friday
    Felt 'off' all day. Decided to take the day off training and head to bed early.

Saturday
    Run: 10 mile LSR - slightly faster in low z2 than I have been previously. Felt good during the run. Once I got home though it was a different story - couldn't stop shivering; lips actually turned blue. Took an energy gel in the hopes of boosting my blood sugar levels - this stopped the shivering, but resulted in vomiting etc. not good.

Sunday
    I'm taking the day off.

I have been following a LCHF diet for the past two months which seemed to be working (I've certainly lost weight, and up to now I had felt that my body was slowly adapting to the new fuelling choices). It may be that I made some mistakes with regard to following the diet (although I don't think so), but I'm not willing to go through the experience of yesterday evening again. Will have to go back to the drawing board diet wise, and if the solution is a bowl of rice and a few spuds then so be it. It will probably mean that I put on weight (at least in the short term), but I've never been in such bad shape after a 10 mile easy run, and now I'm missing another days training and I'm not doing that again.

Hope you're feeling better!!! And when is that baby due?? :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Hope you're feeling better!!! And when is that baby due?? :)

Baby due 5th May! Only 3 months or so left! All systems go!

All things considered, I'm happy with how this week went. Very busy at work, so lunch time sessions were at a minimum, meaning I really only had an hour or so in the evenings. Nonetheless, I got my full planned run mileage done, 2 (albeit short) swims, and a decent cycle in.

Monday
    Run: lunch time run; 4 miles steady
    evening run; 4 miles steady - last mile at slightly faster pace of 7:20 per mile (rest at 8:10 or so).

Tuesday
    Run: evening run - 8 miles steady

Wednesday
    Tempo run - 3 miles @ 6:45 per mile followed by 2 miles steady (8 per mile)

Thursday
    8 miles steady

Friday
    Day off

Saturday
    Run: LSR planned. The weather was miserable, so I decided to do this on the treadmill. An hour 45 staring at a wall and I think I might have preferred being out in the rain! Good run nonetheless - 13 miles steady with 2 x 15 minute tempo intervals.
    Swim: 750m swim. It's been longer than I care to remember since I've done any structured swimming. Short swim, but at least I actually got in the pool. need to keep the focus on here, and if I've a decent week this week I should be fit for masters next saturday.

Sunday
    Cycle: 2hr 40 / 70k easy. Legs heavy due most likely to the 15 minute tempo segments on saturday and the fact that I haven't been on my bike for a while.
    Swim: same as Saturday. Time to get a bit of momentum going!

First race of the season next week - a duathlon. Very much a C race to give me a kick up the a$$ and allow me to try out a few things re nutrition etc.

In terms of overall nutrition; I'm trying a few things - so far I've got plenty of energy, and I haven't put on any significant weight (albeit we were out for dinner yesterday evening, and I feel a bit bloated today) - Work in Progress!

Just wrote a big post including a race report for today and then it didn't post!

In brief:
    Sportsman Duathlon Race Series 1 - 3.2k Run, 18k Bike, 3.2k Run. C race. Not expecting a whole lot tbh. Target is to get top 10 in race 2 or 3.

Run 1 - 11:54 - 17th Overall

T1 - 1:02 - NEEDS WORK!

Bike - 28:50 - 5th fastest bike overall - very happy. Looking forward to getting my TT bike, as I had a bit of a duel over 10th place with a guy who I passed twice on the uphill while he caught me on the downhill. Went into T2 in 10th.

T2 - 0:48 - NEEDS WORK! - exited in 11th

Run 2 - 12:41 - beginnings of cramp in right calf. 16th fastest run overall.

Finish - 55:13. 11th overall and good enough for 1st place in the 20-29 age group.

Happy with how this went. Feel like there's room for improvement as I experienced a little bit of a glass ceiling in terms of pushing deep. TT bike will make a bit of a difference too. Top 10 seems fairly realistic and actually not that far away.

Well done, you!!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Yeah tt bike on that course probably worth about a minute + especially heading southward direction with the downhill segment.
    Good time all the same.

A minute or so is roughly what I was thinking. TT bike will be a little heavier on the uphill bits, but the aero benefits were fairly obvious when I'm being passed on a downhill by a guy who's skinnier than me!

Another mad busy week with work. I'm not getting all the training I want done this weather at all. That said; I'm in ok shape, I seem to have found a diet that more or less works for me (I'm sitting at about 72kg, and tbh, at the moment I'm happy with that. I'll probably look to lose more when I get closer to the marathon etc, but for now, 72kg is perfect), and it's a couple of months to my big goals.

Monday
    5 miles easy lunch time run. Legs felt surprisingly good after the exertions of Sunday

Tuesday
    5 miles easy lunch time run

Wednesday
    45 minutes rollers - pyramid of moderate intervals 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 min.

Thursday
    9 miles easy night time run with a few strides.

Friday
    Day off

Saturday
    10 Mile LSR pace run.

Sunday
    Drogheda Tri Club Duathlon Series - Race 1
    Local race, no entry fee, and nothing better to be doing so I thought I'd give it a go. 3.2k Run, 16k cycle, 3.2k run on a relatively well surfaced road. Out and back run - up and down a drag of about 3%; cycle consisted of two longer 'laps' along a longer stretch of the same road (probably 3% average grade again); followed by a repeat of the run. Looking around at the start of the race I didn't see too many faces I recognised, and it occurred to me that the lack of a prize fund might mean that the 'big boys' would be elsewhere. Either way, the plan was to run and bike as hard as I could and see where that got me. No splits available at the minute, as it was a manually timed event, but here's how it went:
    Run 1 - soon found myself near the front feeling ok. Decided to see if I could sit on the leader's shoulder, which I seemed to be able to do ok. about 1k in somebody passed on my left at a serious pace. The guy who had been leading went with him - I decided that was a surefire way for me to blow up. The man who upped the pace soon blew up, and I was left in 2nd about 30m behind the leader. On the way back down the run I was slowly catching the man in front of me until someone else appeared at my shoulder and passed me. Entered T1 in 3rd with, I'd say 15 seconds between us.
    T1
    Not sure how fast (or slow) this was, but it certainly felt a little more controlled than last week. I need to practise the whole shoes already attached to the bike thing, as running in cleats is not ideal. Exited in 3rd.
    Cycle
    Could see 2nd down the road in front of me coming out of T1. Focussed on getting as tucked in as possible and catching him, which I did just before the turnaround. Facing back up the drag, the only thing I coudl do was ride hard and hope to catch 1st! which I managed at about the 6k point, thus finding myself in the lead of a race for the first time certainly in my adult life! Knowing that he had a stronger Run 1 than me, I hoped to put enough time into him on the bike to hold on in Run 2. That didn't happen. While I led for most of the rest of the bike (he passed me briefly at one stage, only for me to pass him again immediately) he was always within 100m or so of me. At this stage I was fairly confident that unless something went seriously wrong I was a dead cert for either 1st or 2nd, as we had put some decent time into 3rd.
    T2
    Again, not sure how fast or slow this was (too slow I suspect), but I think I was in better control again this week. Got my shoes off on the bike, and generally felt calmer. Exited T2 in 2nd place almost together with 1st.
    Run 2
    Exiting T2 I decided that my best strategy might be to sit on his shoulder, try hang on and hope to win a sprint finish. While that's what I intended when I reached him, what I actually did was go straight to the front :-/
    At about 1/2 k into the run I looked back to my left shoulder where I thought my companion was, only to find to my surprise that he wasn't there! I had a lead of 20 - 30m! Surprised myself with the run. Felt very much within myself, and it was lovely after the turnaround watching the suffering faces :D
    Finished in a time of 57:11, in first place, with about 15 seconds to spare. While it was a small race, without any of the 'big boys' around I'm still Delighted (with a capital D)!

Even got a 1k swim in when I got home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭joey100

Well done on that result RJM, great way to start the season. Seems like you paced it well too and raced smart.

How did you find the course, the gf is looking to do a small duathlon soon and because the bike wouldn't be her strong point is looking at one with a shorter bike. Doesn't want to do a Naas one really as they can be a bit more competitive.

joey100 wrote: »
    Well done on that result RJM, great way to start the season. Seems like you paced it well too and raced smart.

How did you find the course, the gf is looking to do a small duathlon soon and because the bike wouldn't be her strong point is looking at one with a shorter bike. Doesn't want to do a Naas one really as they can be a bit more competitive.

The course was fine. It's straight up and down a section of road that's fairly well surfaced and not too busy. I'd say the crowd was very geared towards someone trying their first duathlon.

Another good option is the Sportsmans Duathlon. The bike course isn't easy (probably similar gradient to Drogheda) and its fairly competitive at the front - but there's all levels throughout the field and there's a great atmosphere. Plus there's lovely soup and brown bread afterwards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Well done RJM a win is a win!! Delighted for you

Whoop whoop!! Super duper congratulations on your win!! Tickled pink for you! ;):)

New 5k PB of 17:46 and 3rd place (with money in an envelope) at a local race this morning!

First bike race of the year at the Traders Cup tomorrow. #nerves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Well done today, that's a super time. Best of luck tomorrow I had my first bike race in Monasterevin last week. Loved it.

Solobally8 wrote: »
    Well done today, that's a super time. Best of luck tomorrow I had my first bike race in Monasterevin last week. Loved it.

I'll enjoy it once I get going, but for the minute there's just the nerves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

RJM85 wrote: »
    New 5k PB of 17:46 and 3rd place (with money in an envelope) at a local race this morning!

First bike race of the year at the Traders Cup tomorrow. #nerves

Going well so, one of my lads finished behind you in 4th. Always nice to get some money to spend:)

How did TC go today? I see BMC took the win.

Today went as well as could have been expected. Given my lack of real time on the bike, and the fact that I was a bit sore from yesterday's effort I decided to basically turn it into one big sufferfest. Try get up the road, and beat myself until I blew up. Maybe not the best racing strategy, but day like that is (for want of a better description) is good for the soul sometimes!

Race was 75k or so on an out and back course. Pretty flat. Miserable weather.

Attacked straight from the gun. Got a couple of gaps, but kept getting pulled back (the usual). About 10k up the road I could see a good group 7 or eight forming up the road. Was a bit blocked in at the time, and it took longer than I would have liked to get positioned to try and get across. Ended up getting within about 100m of them along with 2 Swords CC lads. We worked well together, but just couldn't close the gap. At about 6-7k to the turnaround it became apparent that we weren't going to be able to bridge the gap. Said it to my companions that we'd try to stay away until the turnaround, considering that to be a good days work. About 2k later, I was on the back of our little group when BMC shot past. At the time we were moving at a decent speed (at least 47/48kph), but he passed us like we were standing still. All 3 of us tried to jump on his wheel, but to no avail. I was too slow to react, and didn't have the kick in my legs. So spent the next 5k on my own, with the two lads up ahead and BMC becoming a dot in the distance. Made it to maybe 3k after the turnaround before being swallowed up by the bunch. Took a few turns at the front, but by about 50/55k in I was really suffering. Drifted to the back of the bunch without really meaning to, and at the 60k mark I let the wheel in front of me go.

Group of 7 I was trying to get across to stayed away to the end, and BMC won by 4 minutes apparently Phenomenal.

• Advertisement

one of my lads finished behind you in 4th.

If the race was 6k I'd say he would have caught me. I went out too fast (5:38 for the first mile) and was beginning to really hurt at 300m to go. I felt like someone was closing on me anyway!

Advertisement