Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrian Crossing Lower Mallow Street-Shannon Bridge Roundabout

• 26-09-2013 12:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭

Sweet Divine Jesus, could they have put the pedestrian crossing any closer to the roundabout. Only a matter of time before someone gets run over.:mad::mad:
    Would the crossing at Lower Mallow Street/Henry Street not suffice??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

i commented the same to the Mrs a few weeks ago. its nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Said the same thing for years. Absolute genius stuff from the city council. Right at a spot where cars are coming off the roundabout and speeding up again.

They did the very same thing out by the University roundabout on Dublin Road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭Scar001

The crossing on the bridge is bad enough but the new crossing below Jury's Inn is crazy. I was the second in line to stop at the crossing this evening and ended up blocking the roundabout. It must be no more than 10 feet from exiting the roundabout to the crossing.
    Surely they do some sort of risk assessment or there is a standard distance that a crossing should be from a roundabout??

(Not sure when the crossing was put in place as I haven't driven up Lower Mallow Street in a few weeks)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I've already seen a crash. Car got rear ended by another because a pedestrian was using it. Going be worse when the quay reopens because people will need to accelerate hard at rush hour to join the roundabout and like the Dublin road may not notice a car braking for a pedestrian as you can't see brake lights from the side of a car.

• Site Banned Posts: 99 ✭✭untouchable

if drivers in this city didnt drive like their car was going to blow up any second there wouldnt be an issue. surely pedestrains using the city streets should take priority over cars since that is one of the reasons people dont shop in the city. i say put a 30km speed limit on the whole city centre. if you dont wanna put up with it then avoid the city centre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

some yrs ago the council went to France on jolly fact finding mission and came back with this "fabulous" idea of crossings on roundabouts. what they probably didn't do was realise that the cross were supposed to be set back further from the roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

if drivers in this city didnt drive like their car was going to blow up any second there wouldnt be an issue. surely pedestrains using the city streets should take priority over cars since that is one of the reasons people dont shop in the city. i say put a 30km speed limit on the whole city centre. if you dont wanna put up with it then avoid the city centre

yip....avoiding the city centre is just what limerick needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its the same at the parkway roundabout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Pedestrians should and do in most cases have priority over cars but that does not take away from the fact the pedestrian crossing on the exits of roundabouts are just plain dangerous. Stopping on a roundabout is dangerous full stop. If they were positioned 50>100 feet further away from the exits than many are positioned now it would be much safer. There is a lot going on on a roundabout for a driver as it is, adding another obstacle that can put peoples lives in danger is idiotic.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Pandiani

I've recently travelled around Spain and the pedestrian crossings at the roundabouts at the towns I drove at were set on top of a speed bump on the road. This could be a good idea for these roundabouts as you would have to slow down anyway

• Advertisement

yip....avoiding the city centre is just what limerick needs.

motorists using the city centre as a means to get to another destination is NOT what limerick needs. limerick needs pedestrians walking through its streets. that is my point.

the city centre should lean more towards pedestrian friendly rather than vehicle friendly

the appeal to places like the crescent is
    - free parking
    - no traffic so no dangerous driving going through the center

at the moment if you have young kids or even elderly/disabled people with you it is alot more pedestrian friendly to go to the crescent

h3000 wrote: »
    Pedestrians should and do in most cases have priority over cars but that does not take away from the fact the pedestrian crossing on the exits of roundabouts are just plain dangerous. Stopping on a roundabout is dangerous full stop. If they were positioned 50>100 feet further away from the exits than many are positioned now it would be much safer. There is a lot going on on a roundabout for a driver as it is, adding another obstacle that can put peoples lives in danger is idiotic.

if cars travelled through a roundabout at a reduced speed there would be no issue here. a reduced speed limit would force drivers to drive slower on roundabouts such as the ones we are talking about. it means that cars stopping on the roundabout wouldnt cause much of a fuss. this whole idea of needing to speed up coming off a roundabout is ridiculous. no need to have speed in a city centre

Pandiani wrote: »
    I've recently travelled around Spain and the pedestrian crossings at the roundabouts at the towns I drove at were set on top of a speed bump on the road. This could be a good idea for these roundabouts as you would have to slow down anyway

i wonder if you had speed bumps on the actual roundabout. just have all speed bumps meaning cars would be forced to slow down anyway

if cars travelled through a roundabout at a reduced speed there would be no issue here. a reduced speed limit would force drivers to drive slower on roundabouts such as the ones we are talking about. it means that cars stopping on the roundabout wouldnt cause much of a fuss. this whole idea of needing to speed up coming off a roundabout is ridiculous. no need to have speed in a city centre

Speed is only one factor in this though and I really believe quite a small one. Sharing the roundabout with many other vehicles particularly with larger vehicles can take the drivers full attention or even view away from the exit. Now this is not good but it's the way things are. Putting the crossings so close to the exit is dangerous.

i wonder if you had speed bumps on the actual roundabout. just have all speed bumps meaning cars would be forced to slow down anyway

The whole idea of roundabouts is to improve the flow of traffic as opposed to other junction types.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Speed on the roundabout isn't the issue. I doubt anyone is going over 30 km/h around a roundabout. It's the visibility of where the crossing is. If they put it back another 20 metres, then you'd have more visibility of pedestrians about to cross.

If you want the city centre to be open to pedestrians, you have to remember that most people drive to the city before they can walk around.

maybe an alternative to a roundabout is whats needed. surely they could just change the route plan for that area of the city and stop it from being a 4 way roundabout. that would cut back on the danger.

where exactly is this pedestrian crossing?? if its the one im thinking of its been there since time began. is it the one on teh dock road or the one on the roundabout at the opposite road to the bridge?

i just think that if we make more "hassle" for pedestrians then they will leave the city completely. surely there must be another way

maybe an alternative to a roundabout is whats needed. surely they could just change the route plan for that area of the city and stop it from being a 4 way roundabout. that would cut back on the danger.

where exactly is this pedestrian crossing?? if its the one im thinking of its been there since time began. is it the one on teh dock road or the one on the roundabout at the opposite road to the bridge?

i just think that if we make more "hassle" for pedestrians then they will leave the city completely. surely there must be another way

Roundabouts work well and pedestrian crossings work well but the don't work so well when combined. All that really needs to be done is to move the crossings back from the roundabouts.

The one on the bridge and the one heading towards Howley's quay are the main issue. Nearly all the roundabouts out the Dublin road have crossings on all exits or the roundabouts too which are just as bad.

Roundabouts work well and pedestrian crossings work well but the don't work so well when combined. All that really needs to be done is to move the crossings back from the roundabouts.

The one on the bridge and the one heading towards Howley's quay are the main issue. Nearly all the roundabouts out the Dublin road have crossings on all exits or the roundabouts too which are just as bad.

it seems to be the way all over the country though. see it makes sense to have a crossing when its traffic coming onto the roundabout. its just difficult when traffic is coming off it. but you cant have one without the other. all over this seems to be the way. im sure there is some reason for it. in my opinion it isnt a big deal stopping in a roundabout if the traffic is going slow enough

it seems to be the way all over the country though. see it makes sense to have a crossing when its traffic coming onto the roundabout. its just difficult when traffic is coming off it. but you cant have one without the other. all over this seems to be the way. im sure there is some reason for it. in my opinion it isnt a big deal stopping in a roundabout if the traffic is going slow enough

Stopping on a roundabout defeats the whole purpose of a roundabout and in my opinion it is dangerous.

• Advertisement

so i was reading a little about pedestrian crossing just there. there is a report done in Australia that mentions why pedestrain crossing are used on roundabouts and it turns out the reason for it is to slow down traffic using the roundabouts. i suppose if there are zebra crossings on the roundabout traffic has to slow done.

i think the issue is that road users get annoyed with the thought of anyone else using the road

http://www.thinkingtransport.org.au/content/pedestrians

Stopping on a roundabout defeats the whole purpose of a roundabout and in my opinion it is dangerous.

not if you drive slowly like your supposed to

moving the crossing 10 yards up the road makes no difference at peak times. there is still a chance that cars will be stopping on the roundabout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

This is a real catch 22 scenario. That junction is just too busy and dangerous imo to have a roundabout and pedestrian crossing on it. Normally on a busy junction a controlled system using traffic lights is more suitable to a roundabout. However traffic lights didn't work there either as traffic just got more and more congested with little or no movement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The students out by UL painted their own roundabout in where they thought was a safe location, the council removed it and said that a crossing nearly on the roundabout is safer.

IMO the students where correct and the council is incorrect by putting any crossing so close to a roundabout.

not if you drive slowly like your supposed to

moving the crossing 10 yards up the road makes no difference at peak times. there is still a chance that cars will be stopping on the roundabout

I do drive slowly in built up areas, I know that there are idiots that do not but I still believe that pedestrian crossings on an exit of a roundabout is dangerous.

Anyhow I don't think we will ever agree here :p:p:)

yea i agree totally that its dangerous as is. its something that the powers that be really should look into. there is definitely a solution

I do drive slowly in built up areas, I know that there are idiots that do not but I still believe that pedestrian crossings on an exit of a roundabout is dangerous.

Anyhow I don't think we will ever agree here :p:p:)

thats ok:) we all have differing views. thats the whole point. i agree that its not safe right now though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

fryup wrote: »
    its the same at the parkway roundabout

The amount of times I've seen people just walk straight across that crossing without even looking, I know cars are meant to stop but how idiotic would you have to be to just assume they will without checking first. It's usually busy there but at quiet times you see cars flying through it, only matter of time before someone gets ploughed into

krudler wrote: »
    The amount of times I've seen people just walk straight across that crossing without even looking, I know cars are meant to stop but how idiotic would you have to be to just assume they will without checking first. It's usually busy there but at quiet times you see cars flying through it, only matter of time before someone gets ploughed into

maybe a couple of speed cams will sort it out. the amount of times i go to cross at any pedestrian crossing only for cars to fly through it is a joke. some people think they own teh road and some professions at that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Stellaluna

I'm not keen on the crossings on this roundabout. It took me a while to get into the habit of being more vigilant of traffic exiting, and potentially stopping at the exit of, the roundabout as I'm normally more focussed on looking for traffic coming from the right. Anyway I suppose the crossings are here to stay. I'm not keen using them as a pedestrian either because I always feel that the cars stop suddenly or not at all - you don't get much of a chance to make early eye contact and the driver doesn't have a lot of time to see you and make the decision to stop - even if they're travelling at a reasonable speed it's a short stopping distance (IMHO)

Advertisement