Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a monthly Podcast be good for the community?

Options
  • 26-09-2013 2:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

http://www.twitch.tv/thepeoplesstream/c/2698645

Listening to an hours amount of this really got me interested in the matter because it's the only podcast I've listened to related to the IFGC...

People from our scene discussing recent tournaments, people, subjects and matters on the fighting game community would be really interesting (and could also be put up on youtube).

Something like this really could bring publicity towards us if it lifts off well which I'm sure it would considering the type of characters we have in our scene (lookin' at you Fergus ;))

Also an OG's prospective like Chunkis, and the recording guru Doom! People who've done very successful like Ladnopoka recently in Portgual, Cobelcog at Inferno. The tournament organizers who make most of this even happen. Even those newer who thrive to get better and learn, and also an outsiders look at the community from different countries.

This is just an idea anyway, there must be people here who'd like to give opinions about the happenings of the IFGC...

So, whaddya think? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Dwy wrote: »
    http://www.twitch.tv/thepeoplesstream/c/2698645

Listening to an hours amount of this really got me interested in the matter because it's the only podcast I've listened to related to the IFGC...

People from our scene discussing recent tournaments, people, subjects and matters on the fighting game community would be really interesting (and could also be put up on youtube).

Something like this really could bring publicity towards us if it lifts off well which I'm sure it would considering the type of characters we have in our scene (lookin' at you Fergus ;))

Also an OG's prospective like Chunkis, and the recording guru Doom! People who've done very successful like Ladnopoka recently in Portgual, Cobelcog at Inferno. The tournament organizers who make most of this even happen. Even those newer who thrive to get better and learn, and also an outsiders look at the community from different countries.

This is just an idea anyway, there must be people here who'd like to give opinions about the happenings of the IFGC...

So, whaddya think? :pac:

I think this has been mentioned before a couple times

Once we have some type of schedule for tournaments that keep tourneys going consecutively I think this is a feasible endeavour, need something to chat about.

Not much going on atm in my opinion.

I've had times were I wanted to try something via skype twitch etc but witheld due to lack of indigenous content, without that would easily flow 90% towards other scenes,

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

The challenges of doing this would not be a million miles apart from those of the "Fighter documentary" that were discussed in the other topic.

You need that one guy who's the project lead, stressing about making sure he has a good show every scheduled day, some topics of discussion outlined beforehand, guests arranged and on time, etc etc.

Doing "a podcast" is considerably easier task than the documentary though, since you're excluding a lot of the technical elements (filming, lighting, even editing if you want).

Doing a "regularly scheduled podcast" is a bit trickier, but I think once a month is a good schedule though. We often don't have a lot to talk about and...
    Nutrient wrote: »
    I've had times were I wanted to try something via skype twitch etc but witheld due to lack of indigenous content, without that would easily flow 90% towards other scenes,

Agree 100% with this. We'd need to be able to talk about our tournaments/players/events otherwise there's little point to doing anything.

I walk a lot, so I might listen to the most FGC podcasts out of anyone, so here are a few formats I've seen used:

Tuesday show: Two guys, topics outlined beforehand, generally discussing American events of the week and FG news. Almost never has guests (for this segment). Hosts tend to disagree with each other, which is a good dynamic in my opinion.

Show that sucks: Same as above, less serious/planned, more trolly, sometimes has guests, often relies on getting live questions on twitter, and drags badly when none are forthcoming. Hosts tend to agree with each other, which is a less interesting dynamic in my opinion.

The Fray: Most formal format. Round table discussion with 2 hosts and usually 4/5 guests. Topics are brought up, people take turns speaking, anyone not speaking mutes their mic, nobody interrupts anyone else. Hosts don't seem to ever directly interact, so it sort of lives or dies by the quality of guests.

The On Blast Show: Ridiculous cluckerfeck with dozens of people just complaining about how nobody likes them. Takes live viewer calls on the subject of why nobody likes them. Minutes of my life I will never get back :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Hitting the nail on the head there.

Podcasts are a lot of fun to do but they are work- especially for whoever is editing them. Inevitably also they become difficult when people start having trouble getting together. You have to not be too precious about appearing on every one.

Quality is an interesting one, as I've recently mentioned elsewhere. "Skypecasts", by and large, sound noticeably inferior to those recorded locally or individually by each member then sent to the editor. Maybe I'm a bit more picky but I hate a poor sounding podcast (which is ironic because I've produced one or two in my day :D )

If we were to do an Irish one, we'd need to be happy to swap between local and international news, and frankly we'd need people both comfortable enough to talk and knowledgeable enough for their opinion to be worth listening to. Anyone can talk crap for an hour, but who would you actually like to listen to do it? :D

In actual fact, I have all the gear that I could record a top quality one tomorrow. It's all the same stuff as the commentary gear. I even did test ones in the past (no idea where they are now).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

BTW Dwy, the people's stream has had us on before that episode a couple of times if you're looking. Also this:

http://arcadeandretro.com/arcade-and-retro-podcast-epiosde-12-street-fighter/

Although I'm not actually talking about the IFGC, it's more about the history of SF itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭jimmypenguin

Maybe I'm a bit more picky but I hate a poor sounding podcast.

i can master any audio for podcast etc if anyone ever needs..
    can really improve the overall feel of a video or whatever if the audio sounds its best, id be happy to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I reckon this is a great idea, and I'm kinda surprised there isn't already one. Podcasts are an ready gig. There's always something to talk about, whether it be a recent local event or what Justin Wong tweeted about his breakfast. There are always new techs being found, and games getting broken down. DLC is common, and always puts a while new spin on an already existing game. I couldn't imagine finding topics to be the hard part.

Also, podcasts are a lot of craic to do and they are incredibly cheap top produce. They can be done in a ton of different ways too. When myself and Richie do our monthly HSN show, we both sit in the same room with a mic. The flip side to this is that I used live with the Irish guy from Sidecast, who used to record his show online each sunday with a bunch of guys from America. Took no real effort. All that was needed was for everyone to be online at the right time.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Bento Sento

Well this is kind of what I was doing on TST. I was using it as a medium to get the Irish scene out there more. Whenever we had a guest on that would cater to a specific game or community Skirmish would ask me to talk about how that game or community is in Ireland. Obviously that wasn't my sole reason for being on the show. I am friends with General Skirmish as I co-hosted his other show Dem Graphics and he wanted somebody to fill an empty slot on his podcast TST. He eventually made me a permanent co-host and I did several episodes where I discussed the Irish scene and whenever there was any news or an event I always made sure that I gave it a plug. However TST and ThePeoplesStream has been on hiatus for quite a while. But if it comes back I shall be sure to do the same thing I was doing for the Irish scene on it again.

On the topic of format or style of podcast if we were to do one our selves. Even thought the quality would be worse I think the best bet would be to go with the Skype call way of doing it because that is very convenient for people and it makes getting guests on easier. That is the way we did TST and the quality on those isn't bad at all. As for the actual style of podcast I think the best bet would be to have 2 or 3 hosts and then get guests on that is relevant to the topic of discussion for the episode.

The real problem though is who would be the person to do it. To make it good would require a decent amount of work for the main person in charge of it. If ever it did manage to get off the ground I would love to be one of the people on the show. I always love doing stuff like that. However as for the person in charge of the podcast I wouldn't have a clue what to do and even if I did it wouldn't be any good.

Also if it ever does get off the ground then we need to have an IFGC podcast & HSN podcast crossover :D

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Kanped

Quality is an interesting one, as I've recently mentioned elsewhere. "Skypecasts", by and large, sound noticeably inferior to those recorded locally or individually by each member then sent to the editor.

I think this is down to poor quality USB mics or bad Internet connections. I watch cKnoor's streams (if anyone plays Blood Bowl, check him out) and all the commentary is done over Skype and the quality is mostly very good because people are using either decent USB headsets/mics, or a good A/D converter and a proper mic.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭BigStupidGuy

I think it's a really good idea. Even if there's nothing going on in the community itself on a particular month there's ALWAYS stuff to talk about. Like upcoming games and the future of fighting games in general etc..... There's a lot of stuff happening in Namco lately with SC and TR online, global championships (with 12 year olds lol) and new characters based on 2D fighting being introduced etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭jimmypenguin

theres always stuff to talk about.. but its already been said that in the end of the day its a lot of work for someone to organise whos going to do it on the reg and whos gonna be available to help out etc..

Advertisement