Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting a new passport before it's full or expired.

• 26-09-2013 6:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey there. I got a new passport just four months ago. I've been living in Asia working as a teacher but the school messed up several times in trying to get a work visa for me. The result is my passport is full of entry visas and tourist visas. I've since left the school but staying on for longer on yet another tourist visa might prove difficult.
    I'm coming home for a couple of weeks and was wondering if it's possible to get a new passport again? The passport is only half full and has ten years left on it, but a new passport week give me the opportunity to stay in Asia longer.
    Thanks in advance for any help/advice, it's much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

boonlek wrote: »
    Hey there. I got a new passport just four months ago. I've been living in Asia working as a teacher but the school messed up several times in trying to get a work visa for me. The result is my passport is full of entry visas and tourist visas. I've since left the school but staying on for longer on yet another tourist visa might prove difficult.
    I'm coming home for a couple of weeks and was wondering if it's possible to get a new passport again? The passport is only half full and has ten years left on it, but a new passport week give me the opportunity to stay in Asia longer.
    Thanks in advance for any help/advice, it's much appreciated.

Sounds very iffy and would probably ring alarm bells if you went to the passport company with that request. Sounds like you're trying to hide too many entries & exits to the country.

Even if you get an emergency passport it will still cost you the e200. You'd be as well if you lost it to report it as lost to the gaurds & get a new one. Twill cost you thou.

They do keep records & have you considered that in a country where forgeries & document fraud is more pre leant that presenting a new passport might cause further complications. & difficulties.

Your flight home might also be booked on a confirmation of your exit visa which would be linked to your old passport - if they check this or look for this on your way home & you are using a different passport number it could cause issues getting onto the flight or passing security.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 boonlek

Sounds very iffy and would probably ring alarm bells if you went to the passport company with that request. Sounds like you're trying to hide too many entries & exits to the country.

Even if you get an emergency passport it will still cost you the e200. You'd be as well if you lost it to report it as lost to the gaurds & get a new one. Twill cost you thou.

They do keep records & have you considered that in a country where forgeries & document fraud is more pre leant that presenting a new passport might cause further complications. & difficulties.

Your flight home might also be booked on a confirmation of your exit visa which would be linked to your old passport - if they check this or look for this on your way home & you are using a different passport number it could cause issues getting onto the flight or passing security.

Thanks for the reply.
    Last time I came home I had to get a new passport because it was full. So I returned in a new passport without any problems.
    It's true that I am trying to hide the amount of entries on tourist visa in the last few months. This is because of the school sending me to a foreign embassy three times with insufficient paperwork. What would normally be a routine one time trip and return with work visa has instead left me with a half full passport unfortunately.
    I know that I can stay with three consecutive tourist visas so I guess what I'm trying to do is wipe that slate clean once im back in Ireland. Maybe reporting it lost it's my only option but I had hoped to do it legitimately. What kind of cost would be involved in reporting it as lost?
    Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

boonlek wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    Last time I came home I had to get a new passport because it was full. So I returned in a new passport without any problems.
    It's true that I am trying to hide the amount of entries on tourist visa in the last few months. This is because of the school sending me to a foreign embassy three times with insufficient paperwork. What would normally be a routine one time trip and return with work visa has instead left me with a half full passport unfortunately.
    I know that I can stay with three consecutive tourist visas so I guess what I'm trying to do is wipe that slate clean once im back in Ireland. Maybe reporting it lost it's my only option but I had hoped to do it legitimately. What kind of cost would be involved in reporting it as lost?
    Thanks again.
    You could try going into the passport office & applying to replace your existing one with a 'Large' 66 page passport, saying that you are afraid that you will run out of pages because you'll be travelling to & fro a lot. Maybe by looking at the one you have & it being so full at this early stage they might oblige.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Do they even need to look at your passport to see that you have previous tourist visas? Having been through bangkok i'm pretty sure they scan your passport each time you enter and leave so they will have a record of the tourist visas themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement