Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Where's my horse?" Owner claims Garda told him to "Check Tesco"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Dempsey wrote: »
    I heard black people use the word n*gger towards each other, that doesnt excuse anyone using it in a discriminatory context.

If you're actually asserting that coloured people use the term "n*gger" to describe themselves then you're lying. They don't, and they find the term highly offensive. "N*gger" is an American ter:rolleyes:m.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

FTA69 wrote: »

Liar? You obviously have not seen the scum that stay in the guesthouse next to my job, its famous. They get lots of them in there and quite a few from the UK. I know, I deal with them practically weekly. Its so bad, that when the owner rings the guards, he is told they are busy. (alledgedly)

Like youtube? Heres a video for you.

Some of them do refer to themselves using that name.

It would have been nice if the cameraman didn't have the DTs.
    Quite dangerous for the driver and passengers, if digging the lair had destabilized the tracks causing a derailment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I don't care about either the guard or the horses owner. I'd like to know more about the horses and what did happen to them though. I've seen starving horses in fields and it sickens me how they're treated. It's disgusting the way people can get away with mistreating horses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Some of them do refer to themselves using that name.

They don't use the term in parlance with each other as a form of description whatsoever, you pointing to one video where they humourously use the term isn't a moniker isn't proof to the contrary. Similarly, it doesn't give you the right to use the term, no more than you're allowed to call black people n*ggers because some black people use that term.
    They get lots of them in there and quite a few from the UK. I know, I deal with them practically weekly. Its so bad, that when the owner rings the guards, he is told they are busy. (alledgedly)

What's that got to do with anything? You can't blanketly tar an entire group as scum because you've eoncountered Travellers who are arseholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I don't care about either the guard or the horses owner. I'd like to know more about the horses and what did happen to them though. I've seen starving horses in fields and it sickens me how they're treated. It's disgusting the way people can get away with mistreating horses.

+1

Not particularly interested in people having fits of pique over who-said-what-to-whom.
    A horse is not a 'pet' like a hamster or a goldfish, if you can't keep it in a secure area and look after it then you should not be allowed to own one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

kerry4sam wrote: »
    It is not poor training, the training that members of An Garda Síochána receive at commencement of employment is second to none! Outstanding staff and resources available at Templemore; my issues is what happens in the stations. Re-Read some auld threads on boards and other sites and speak to serving members about what they get told in the stations after their time in Templemore!

I've serious issues with An Garda Síochána with what happens in the stations, it is there where members learn to & change their attitudes imo, it has nothing to to with their training and why I'm not commenting on 'Leadership'! Saying members get poor training is nothing short of nonsense!

Its in stations that you deal with reality and not text books like the college, "Diffuse the emotional tension = break up the scrap"
    Just cause you may have had a bad experience does not mean everyone has, maybe it was more to do with your behaviour than everyone else! Everyone was out of step but our Johnny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

So from reading this thread I understand that it is ok for someone to verbally abuse a member of the Gardai and tell him to **** off but to refer to someone as a pikey is a "hate crime"

Am I missing anything?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

so now its ok to abuse gardai but if the garda responds with a sarcastic comment he is the bad guy ??

if the garda told him to **** off what would the reaction be ?

yer man obviously shouldn't have had the horses when something is done about it he makes silly claims in court trying to discredit everyone else.

once again when it comes to policing your damed if you do and damed if you don't
    typical ****ed up Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

Why do people who live in council houses think they've got a God-given right to keep a horse, roaming around, without any facilities for it?
    About time this sh!t was clamped down on, cause of so much needless suffering for the animals.

do you work for Tesco?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭srm23

they are in Tesco now, not much chance of starving there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Daddy took them to France(via a British abattoir).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

In your opinion, and absolutely nothing more than that.
    If it's grounded in fact, then it actually is more than an opinion.

Not saying there aren't ****bags who antagonise guards - obviously there are loads, but there are also power-tripping guards who don't need any provocation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

So from reading this thread I understand that it is ok for someone to verbally abuse a member of the Gardai and tell him to **** off but to refer to someone as a pikey is a "hate crime"

Am I missing anything?

Nobody said it was ok to abuse a gardai, just expect better from them when dealing with the public. They should set a higher standard for themselves. It only takes a handful of gob****e's to make the job harder for the majority.

The problem with Seamus's post was that a person shouldnt be believed in court on the basis that they are a "pikey".
    seamus wrote: »
    Well we don't know if he was provoked by the Garda, it's a pikey's word in court.

The fact that Seamus thanked your post means that he still thinks it was ok to make that comment. That makes me lol because you see him wandering from thread to thread on this website passing comment about all that is wrong in the world without looking himself in the mirror. Bravo Sir! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭redtapestyl

the poor horses, I've seen the way these horses are treated and neglected by a certain community, tied up in fields tethered to a stone with no shelter from heat, rain , wind, etc, they can hardly move. during the heatwave in June they were dying of dehydration. and then they seem to be allowed bring them out onto main roads with 12 year olds on their back , no saddle or safety gear causing danger to themselves and other tax paying motorists trying to use the road.

there's a saying that only the very rich and the very poor keep horses, so true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

srm23 wrote: »
    do you work for Tesco?

Ah hahaha, you so funny.

No.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Howard Juneau

If it's grounded in fact, then it actually is more than an opinion.

Not saying there aren't ****bags who antagonise guards - obviously there are loads, but there are also power-tripping guards who don't need any provocation.

This thread is very short on facts, but long on hearsay & rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Am I missing anything?

Yes, you missed the part where the Gardaí verbally abused first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

I personally didn't say it was OK to abuse guards I'm not even having a go at the Guard I actually thought it was quite funny I'm just amazed at the people who seem to think guards aren't capable of provocation as if 18 months in Templemore blessed them with some sort of super human tolerance and civility. The Judge in this case isn't clairvoyant. He should have said nothing about whether the guard said it or not.

MyKeyG wrote: »
    I personally didn't say it was OK to abuse guards I'm not even having a go at the Guard I actually thought it was quite funny I'm just amazed at the people who seem to think guards aren't capable of provocation as if 18 months in Templemore blessed them with some sort of super human tolerance and civility. The Judge in this case isn't clairvoyant. He should have said nothing about whether the guard said it or not.

The career criminal had made an allegation, the judge had to address it.
    Since clairvoyancy is a sham, I presume that the judge thought the same of this guy's defence.

The career criminal had made an allegation, the judge had to address it.
    Since clairvoyancy is a sham, I presume that the judge thought the same of this guy's defence.

He was far from a career criminal, stop making up stuff.

• Advertisement

He was far from a career criminal, stop making up stuff.

Oh, when the defendant himself says he's been "in & out of trouble" over the years, I think you can be assured he's no choirboy.
    As for making stuff up, seems the defendant is well capable of that all by himself.

Oh, when the defendant himself says he's been "in & out of trouble" over the years, I think you can be assured he's no choirboy.
    As for making stuff up, seems the defendant is well capable of that all by himself.
    He told Judge Eugene O’Kelly that he had been “in and out of trouble” in the past but hadn’t been in trouble for the last “seven or eight years”.

Seems you only read what you want to see. Hardly a career criminal by any stretch. Never suggested he was a choirboy but some people are having trouble sticking to the facts at hand.

There is no evidence to suggest he made it up, just that the judge was unwilling to accept it and "hoped" that he didnt say it because the Garda didnt bother showing up in court to be questioned on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

Seems you only read what you want to see. Hardly a career criminal by any stretch. Never suggested he was a choirboy but some people are having trouble sticking to the facts at hand.

There is no evidence to suggest he made it up, just that the judge was unwilling to accept it and "hoped" that he didnt say it because the Garda didnt bother showing up in court to be questioned on it.

Was he under oath when he said he hadn't been in trouble for 7/8 years?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2009/0325/world/four-remanded-over-disturbances-87584.html

mitosis wrote: »
    Was he under oath when he said he hadn't been in trouble for 7/8 years?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2009/0325/world/four-remanded-over-disturbances-87584.html

I'm sure the DPP was aware of his criminal record and would have pulled him on that statement if it wasnt true.

That article says he was granted bail over alleged charges, doesnt look like he was prosecuted for anything.

Still, career criminal is a very inaccurate description for someone that has been up in court for telling a guard to fúck off and disturbing the peace. Any evidence that he earns an income from criminal activities? Or are people on this forum going to continue to slander other people based on their background?

He had been in front of a judge 4 years beforehand, better check your facts & realise the guy had form & perjured himself

He had been in front of a judge 4 years beforehand, better check your facts & realise the guy had form & perjured himself

Was he convicted of anything from that charge? Why didnt the DPP pull him on it if he was? Lots of unknowns and presumptions being made

Point is, career criminal is the wrong description for him

Was he convicted of anything from that charge? Why didnt the DPP pull him on it if he was? Lots of unknowns and presumptions being made

Point is, career criminal is the wrong description for him

You are the only one making presumptions I'm afraid. A career criminal is quite apt, anyone that makes a habit of appearing before the courts thru his life fits that description to a T
    If you wish to be his self appointed apologist, that's fine, but don't expect anyone to believe the horseshìt you're shovelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

You are the only one making presumptions I'm afraid. A career criminal is quite apt, anyone that makes a habit of appearing before the courts thru his life fits that description to a T
    Someone who appears twice before the district court on criminal charges is a "career criminal"?

So my former school teacher who has two road traffic convictions is a "career criminal"?

Right...

Someone who appears twice before the district court on criminal charges is a "career criminal"?

So my former school teacher who has two road traffic convictions is a "career criminal"?

Right...

Incorrect, pity you didn't read his statement in court

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Phoebas wrote: »
    A potential criminal conviction for life for using foul language to a Guard after being provoked by the Guard.
    Harsh.
    Anyone know if he was convicted on this previous occasion ?

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/judge-s-warning-over-mob-rule-1-2187956

• Advertisement

If you wish to be his self appointed apologist, that's fine, but don't expect anyone to believe the horseshìt you're shovelling.

You need to look up the definition of a career criminal because its clear you dont actually know what it means.

As for the rest of your post, drivel of the highest order.

You need to look up the definition of a career criminal because its clear you dont actually know what it means.

As for the rest of your post, drivel of the highest order.

You haven't a clue have you? You have not presented a single fact, your argument is based on the perjured testimony of this criminal & you take his accusations against the guard as having merit, yet ignore the fact he said he had been in & out of trouble before. And when a defendant admits that, you can be sure it's only the tip of the iceberg.
    Keep shovelling

I'm sure the DPP was aware of his criminal record and would have pulled him on that statement if it wasnt true.

That article says he was granted bail over alleged charges, doesnt look like he was prosecuted for anything.

Still, career criminal is a very inaccurate description for someone that has been up in court for telling a guard to fúck off and disturbing the peace. Any evidence that he earns an income from criminal activities? Or are people on this forum going to continue to slander other people based on their background?

You do of course realise that the term career criminal has nothing to do with financial earnings from crime

You haven't a clue have you? You have not presented a single fact, your argument is based on the perjured testimony of this criminal & you take his accusations against the guard as having merit, yet ignore the fact he said he had been in & out of trouble before. And when a defendant admits that, you can be sure it's only the tip of the iceberg.
    Keep shovelling

You're ranting and raving now. What facts am I suppose to be presenting here? I havent made any outlandish claims or presumptions like others have. I'm sticking to the known facts. Did you look up the definition of a career criminal yet?

Why dont the accusation against the garda not have merit? Is it inconceivable that a garda say that? It isnt. Pity the garda didnt attend court that day to give his side of the story.
    You do of course realise that the term career criminal has nothing to do with financial earnings from crime

What does it mean then?

http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/career-criminal
    a person who earns his income through criminal activities

Ring Collins Dictionary that they are wrong and you know better!

You're ranting and raving now. What facts am I suppose to be presenting here? I havent made any outlandish claims or presumptions like others have. I'm sticking to the known facts. Did you look up the definition of a career criminal yet?

Why dont the accusation against the garda not have merit? Is it inconceivable that a garda say that? It isnt. Pity the garda didnt attend court that day to give his side of the story.

Last time,
    No facts have been presented by you.
    He perjured himself in court.
    The accusations against the garda were unsubstantiated.
    Career criminal has nothing to do with immoral earnings
    it can mean someone who spends their life involved in criminality, coming before the courts constantly, being a drain on the taxpayers.
    But I think you already knew that.

Last time,
    No facts have been presented by you.
    He perjured himself in court.
    The accusations against the garda were unsubstantiated.
    Career criminal has nothing to do with immoral earnings
    it can mean someone who spends their life involved in criminality, coming before the courts constantly, being a drain on the taxpayers.
    But I think you already knew that.

What facts do I need to present that havent been already been brought up in this thread? I havent claimed anything that isnt said in the articles provided.
    If he perjured himself, why didnt the DPP pull him up on it?
    What evidence is there that the accusations were unsubstantiated? The garda didnt turn up for court!
    Career criminal means you earn a living by being a criminal. Its a simple enough description to comprehend. Certainly not a description to use for someone thats in and out of court for public order offences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Sofa King Great

Ush1 wrote: »
    Yes, you missed the part where the Gardaí verbally abused first.

I did clearly. where does it say who abused who first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

limerick county council's new unlicensed horse processing facility

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,177 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

seamus wrote: »
    I agree. Everyone should be automatically entitled to respect unless they've shown cause to not deserve it.

A person who chooses to don the uniform is entitled to be free from being disrespected just because of that uniform, hence why it's punishable. The same should be true for all of the defence forces.
    That's a bilateral understanding. The officer showed no due respect in carrying out his duty.

Police are not above the community. They are a part of it.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    That's a bilateral understanding. The officer showed no due respect in carrying out his duty.

Police are not above the community. They are a part of it.

Can you show us where the officer showed no due respect please? I'd love to see this proof if you don't mind

Can you show us where the officer showed no due respect please? I'd love to see this proof if you don't mind
    The bit where he jokes about the horse ending up minced and resold as beef.

The bit where he jokes about the horse ending up minced and resold as beef.

So no proof then, thanks

So no proof then, thanks
    As much proof as telling a cop to **** off then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I dunno lads, I used to have the greatest respect for the Gardaí but I'll tell you, over the last year or so I've seen some events that have badly shaken my confidence. They've stopped acting like members of the community, knowing what they can legally do and they exploit that to its fullest extent, and the ombudsman is of little use either.

Any time you hear or see "the decision is left to the discretion of the officer" you may rest assured some bollocks is tearing the hole off it, appointed judge, jury and executioner. And more shame on the courts for supporting them.

Take it or leave it, whichever you like, I'm not bothered.

As much proof as telling a cop to **** off then

He admitted that himself.

• Advertisement

He admitted that himself.

"
    He only reacted to a Garda Sergeant telling him that “the only way I will only get the horse back is off a shelf in Tesco as burger meat.”
    He had since got two of his horses back from the pound but one was still missing and he had instituted legal proceedings to have it returned.
    Stating he was sure Sergeant Burke didn’t dispose of the horse in the manner suggested by Mr Walsh, Judge O’Kelly said he could assure him of that.
    “I am not accepting that the Sergeant said that. I hope that he didn’t say it but he is not in court to answer that claim”.
    However Ms Ryan said it was not the first time she heard the claim.
    “Another young man told me that when he asked where his horse was, a garda detective told him to ‘check Tesco’”, she said.
    Adjourning the case for six months, Judge O’Kelly said that Mr Walsh admitted he had a poor record in the past but that he offered an explanation for his reaction."

"
    He only reacted to a Garda Sergeant telling him that “the only way I will only get the horse back is off a shelf in Tesco as burger meat.”
    He had since got two of his horses back from the pound but one was still missing and he had instituted legal proceedings to have it returned.
    Stating he was sure Sergeant Burke didn’t dispose of the horse in the manner suggested by Mr Walsh, Judge O’Kelly said he could assure him of that.
    “I am not accepting that the Sergeant said that. I hope that he didn’t say it but he is not in court to answer that claim”.
    However Ms Ryan said it was not the first time she heard the claim.
    “Another young man told me that when he asked where his horse was, a garda detective told him to ‘check Tesco’”, she said.
    Adjourning the case for six months, Judge O’Kelly said that Mr Walsh admitted he had a poor record in the past but that he offered an explanation for his reaction."

Yes, this was in the OP not sure what you think quoting it again achieves.
    Still doesn't make it true, and again, not a jot of proof provided.
    Will let you be now, thanks again

Yes, this was in the OP not sure what you think quoting it again achieves.
    Still doesn't make it true, and again, not a jot of proof provided.
    Will let you be now, thanks again

Yet, you've made it your mission in life to believe a garda that didnt turn up for court! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

The fact that she's head this allegation from someone else would suggest that it could be part f a wider pattern of obnoxious relations between the gardai in that area and members of the public.

Incidentally, why are there laws against being rude to the police but no reciprocal laws against police being rude to members of the public...?

Yet, you've made it your mission in life to believe a garda that didnt turn up for court! :rolleyes:

Didn't turn up? Was a warrant issued for his arrest?
    A little check on court procedure will explain why the garda wasn't there.
    I see your rolleyes & raise you ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement