Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland will be warmer but wetter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭chud1234

sounds good to me warmer is nice and rain well it cant be any wetter than last year can it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

According to some weather experts in the next years Ireland could or will be a warmer place but the toll will be a greater amount of rain.
    So people will enjoy a better weather in summertime and spend a little less for heating their homes in wintertime, but floods could be more a certainty.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/irish-climate-set-to-get-warmer-but-much-wetter-1.1540188

I honestly dont think they know what's going to happen. Just last week they announced that the ozone was doing the opposite of what they thought. Overall i think they are grasping at straws when it comes to long term forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

oh great. warmer winters = more sickness as virus doesn't die off in the cold.
    AND no snow.
    Stupid bloody country this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I've heard this kind of stuff before, this article is 6 years old.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/7139797.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,425 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

kenmc wrote: »
    oh great. warmer winters = more sickness as virus doesn't die off in the cold.
    AND no snow.
    Stupid bloody country this.

Actually more snow according to the article. From an Irish perspective its hard to see much of a downside. Warmer summers, warmer winter, we'll be able to grow crops that are hard to grow now. I wouldn't mind growing oranges and peaches in the garden for example! Vin de Loughlinstown sounds good too!!

Water management will have to be improved to prevent summer droughts, but with increased rain in winter that shouldn't be an insurmountable issue. I think Ireland fares rather well in the current vision for climate change compared to other countries.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

So the BBC article's predictions have not come to pass - there's still ice in the Arctic in summer.

Re the IT article - there's not one date mentioned - will this happen in the next 10/20/50 yrs?

BTW someone should forward the article to Irish Water - perhaps our 'most precious resource' won't be so precious when half the country is flooded......:-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8mlis3r07g

(I see they've had to change the advert - water is now our most precious resource - after its people)

1pre·cious adjective \ˈpre-shəs\
    : rare and worth a lot of money

(Merriam Webster)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

The full report "Ireland’s climate: the road ahead" is available here - 103 pages in total

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

This is the 3rd or maybe 4th time in the last 10 years that I've read a report predicting warmer but wetter weather. The truth is nobody knows what's ahead. I remember back in the mid 90's after we had a peach of a Summer in 1995 "they" said that Summers such as that one would be the norm every year or 2nd year going forward. What has happened since then though in the last 18 years is maybe 3 Summers that can maybe rival that Summer,I include this year aswel. So that's 1 in 6 years(Summers),not 1 in 2 or 3.
    We just don't know what's up ahead so sit back and enjoy the ride:).

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Viral and Bacterial infections thrive in warm moist environments so i dont buy the reduction in number of elderly attending A&E departments with infections during winter time. We are seeing an increase in the amount of rain and temperatures as it is. Nothing new there :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

They can hardly predict the weather a few days,I don't believe any of these studys. There are just too many variables to predict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭OldRio

Experts my arse.
    Everyman and his dog over a (cough) certain age knows we have been getting warmer and wetter weather. Occasionally we get a cold winter and a hot summer but overall the trend is there for all to see.
    How much are these 'experts' getting paid to come to this earth shattering revelation.
    Next thing will be global warming. Sorry, that is now called climate change. And it is. And always has.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

-The world is getting colder :P

In 2007, the planet would be 4C warmer by 2100.
    In 2013, the planet would be 2C warmer by 2100.

If the trend keeps going that way, we will have an ice age by 2100...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

RobertKK wrote: »
    -The world is getting colder :P

In 2007, the planet would be 4C warmer by 2100.
    In 2013, the planet would be 2C warmer by 2100.

If the trend keeps going that way, we will have an ice age by 2100...

Where are you getting this from?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

fits wrote: »
    Where are you getting this from?

Well in 2007 they (the experts) said 4C, now while 4C is still in the literature, it goes from 1.5C to 4C. Which in itself is a rather large range, which also shows how much uncertainty there is, despite saying how clear the evidence is.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

RobertKK wrote: »
    Well in 2007 they (the experts) said 4C, now while 4C is still in the literature, it goes from 1.5C to 4C. Which in itself is a rather large range, which also shows how much uncertainty there is, despite saying how clear the evidence is.

'they' did not say anything like that, then or now. They have presented a range of emissions scenarios based on how the world might develop and which would cause a rise in mean temperature of between two and six degrees.

That's why I am asking where you got your idea from (im guessing the pub or the daily fail) because even if you did a small amount of reading, you would know this. try the summary for policymakers.

Advertisement