Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Receipts

Options
  • 26-09-2013 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,900 ✭✭✭

What's the current standing on shops accepting copies of receipts from phones. There's a number of receipt scanner apps. If you scan the receipt is that still proof of purchase.

Id guess not as its not the original but wondering if anyone had any Luck using one.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

most shops want the receipt to prove you bought the item there and not some other shop so they want proof of purchase and having the receipt helps them as they can bring up the original sale very quickly with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

A receipt isn't proof of purchase it's simply evidence of purchase along with a myriad of other things. The issue with a scanner is it's possible you've just scanned any receipt, or that the retailer my require the receipt back if offering a refund. You wouldn't know the legalities of this until you took it to court, and then it's going to be case by case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Receipts these days have specific codes that allows a retailer look up the exact transaction very quickly and verify the purchase.
    Some of the large electrical retailers take your phone number so that you don't need the receipt because the hold it on the system for you.

The should be no issue with any retailer showing a scanned copy of a receipt, once its a receipt that is the requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

I would have to disagree that there would be "no issue". One of the reasons being that a scanned receipt can't be interacted with by the shop. When you bring the original receipt and return an item, they can simply scratch the item off, scanning, photocopying receipts introduces an ability for the consumer to use another persons receipt for their item which may be older or they may have lost the receipt for etc (or may be damaged but the receipt would suggest it's only a few weeks old which introduces a question about the quality of the item and so on).

Not saying a retailer will reject these, but certainly for high value items if you are returning it for a refund they would probably insist on original receipts only.

(Yes I am quite cynical about people returning stuff from having worked in retail for so long).

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I *think* that the balance of probability is in favour of this working. The simple reason is that a lot of receipts are printed on thermal paper which fades over time. It's always a good idea to make a copy (photocopy, scan or image) of a receipt in this case this happens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement