Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Change Xbox gamertag on Windows Phone.

• 26-09-2013 8:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

I got a Lumia 520 for my other half. Nice enough phone.

I set it up with her Live account obviously.

I wanted to pair it with our Xbox (using my account) but when I opened the app it created a gamertag for me and won't let me change it. So the app is useless for me. I don't have multiple gamertags installed on the Xbox and I'm not going to.

On my Android phone I can use whatever email address I want for Xbox Smartglass. On the Windows phone I can't. This can't be standard is it? Or am I missing something?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I will tell you what MSFT taughted me, via expertzone. Im trying to look for the resource again. But to the best recollection:

In the event a user has multiple MSN/Live/Outlook/Xbox accounts, the Xbox account should always take priority when setting up other windows devices (WP8, W8, etc).

You can then go, I believe, to outlook.com and link the other accounts under that account acting as the parent. This way existing xbox users retain their gamerscore, tag, achievements, etc. while still getting themselves tied in to Windows 8 cloud services like synced settings, bookmarks, skydrive, and office 365 services if used. In any scenario where you have a well established gamertag, use that live account to sign into all other services to tie them together.

If I understand correctly it assigned her Live account a Gamertag? Thats somewhat normal. Im more into the Windows 8 environment than Xbox so I don't know what repercussions there are of having multiple gamertags on one console, if any. Or are you just not ready to tie the knot? Is a gamertag installation the gamer nerd equivalent of bringing over her own toothbrush? You got her a phone :confused::p

edit: resource snippet here.
    Expertzone wrote:
    Deciding between multiple Windows Live ID accounts
    You may have multiple Windows Live ID accounts. On Windows Phone 7, you can add multiple Windows Live ID accounts to send and receive mail, store contact information, and manage a calendar, but only one Windows Live ID acts as the primary for accessing features like Xbox LIVE and Marketplace. Since Windows Phone 7 uses the primary Windows Live ID for accessing Xbox LIVE and for Marketplace purchases, it is important if you have multiple Windows Live IDs to choose the appropriate Windows Live ID as your primary. Use the following table for guidance in how to select a Windows Live ID to use as the primary Windows Live ID on the phone. You can also reference http://www.windowsphone.com Help and how-to, Start here for more information.

How can I find out the primary Windows Live ID on my phone?
    You can locate your primary Windows Live ID that controls the features and services discussed above on Windows Phone 7.
    To locate the primary Windows Live ID:
    1. On Start, tap Settings, Email & Accounts.
    2. The primary Windows Live ID will have the Windows Live logo next to it.
    3. If you have more than one Windows Live account configured, tap and hold on each account. If the delete option appears, that is not the primary Windows Live ID.

Note: You can only delete the primary Windows Live ID by resetting the phone.

273367.PNG

The resource is a tad dated, but Office should be considered the same tier as Hotmail usually. As long as you don't close the account you use to activate Office 2013 or 365 licenses, you shouldn't lose those licenses. If you haven't activated any office yet, always plan on activating it under your Live ID. They even ran a lovely promotion where buying a year of 365 got you a year of Xbox Live Gold for a minute there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭timetogo

Jaysus that's a bit confusing.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Or are you just not ready to tie the knot? Is a gamertag installation the gamer nerd equivalent of bringing over her own toothbrush? You got her a phone :confused::p

For that bit, my gamertag is signed up to Xbox live, play all the games under and use with Netflix. I don't want to sign out of mine and sign in on hers and not be on Xbox Live. Or can you have one Xbox Live account associated with 2 email addresses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,686 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

well unfortunately they've bungled this, deliberately or otherwise:

they used to have Xbox Live Family packs, where up to a few gamertags in a household could share the same live subscription. This summer, they shut down the program, and those tags converted to individual accounts.

Conveniently (....) Xbox One will support Xbox Live Home Gold,

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/9/4605820/xbox-one-home-gold

Which is basically what you're probably hoping for. Its all a bit of a racket to get more people to ditch the 360 and get the Xbox One.

in the interim, just press the Home button and sign into your own Gamertag for Netflix and such. Cheaper than 2 subscriptions. You do trust she wont ruin your stats. Don't you? MWAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Advertisement