Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matt Keane

Options
  • 26-09-2013 8:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭

I was wondering, does he act as some sort of scout for his beloved Ipswich Town. The reason I ask, a good number of players with Waterford Connections have played for the club in recent years. I heard him say was it Yesterday or the day before on WLR that Stephen Hunt was heading to them for a trial, and I read on Sky this morning where they review the morning papers that the Guardian or Telegraph are reporting he is training with the club.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Black Suir wrote: »
    I was wondering, does he act as some sort of scout for his beloved Ipswich Town. The reason I ask, a good number of players with Waterford Connections have played for the club in recent years. I heard him say was it Yesterday or the day before on WLR that Stephen Hunt was heading to them for a trial, and I read on Sky this morning where they review the morning papers that the Guardian or Telegraph are reporting he is training with the club.

He follows Ipswich and does sport on WLR, that's his connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

They have a scout based in the South and he attends a lot of games in the area. I know a coach with them and he was telling me before that even before Mick McCarthy went to the club they had a strong interest in checking Irish players out. The club can't afford to make big signings so try to dip into the cheaper Irish market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Nypd wrote: »
    He follows Ipswich and does sport on WLR, that's his connection.

I know that, but with the amount of players with Waterford connections in recent years, - Daryl Murphy, I think Brian Murphy, the young lad that played with Waterford Utd from Clonmel last year that has gone over and now Hunt, if maybe he might pass on a name or two when he sees them playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I know that, but with the amount of players with Waterford connections in recent years, - Daryl Murphy, I think Brian Murphy, the young lad that played with Waterford Utd from Clonmel last year that has gone over and now Hunt, if maybe he might pass on a name or two when he sees them playing.

Well, Daryl Murphy went to Ipswich on loan from Sunderland. Then he joined Celtic, before going back to Ipswich on loan again before agreeing a permanent deal.

Brian Murphy was signed from Bohemians in Dublin. He went there from Man City, and won a couple of Goalkeeper of the Year awards.

Stephen Hunt is then a well established international who will have an agent working full time to secure him a club. Ipswich's manager Mick McCarthy will be very familiar with him.

Neither Matt Keane, or any local scout watching schoolboy football, would be making recommendations on players like those above. They'd have their own scouting network for that sort of work, and the players themselves have agents working on their behalf. The young lad from Clonmel - perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

I know that, but with the amount of players with Waterford connections in recent years, - Daryl Murphy, I think Brian Murphy, the young lad that played with Waterford Utd from Clonmel* last year that has gone over and now Hunt, if maybe he might pass on a name or two when he sees them playing.

*Carrick. Clonmel hospital is trying to take everybody from us lately. Sam Bennett was called a Clonmel man last week too.

Jack Doherty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Ah Matt Keane... He once wrote that I was one to look out for in the future...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

AdMMM wrote: »

In relation to what? One can only assume some form of criminality

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

KevIRL wrote: »
    In relation to what? One can only assume some form of criminality

careful now

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭waterford

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdMMM View Post

Were you wearing knickers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

waterford wrote: »
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdMMM View Post

Were you wearing knickers ?

No, thats the problem. Not a stitch on him under that trench coat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭JourneyMan8

Their is a Ipswich scout that lives in Waterford (not Matt), but also recommends players to other clubs too.

Their is quite a few scouts living in Waterford right now, you'd be very surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

AdMMM wrote: »

This is obviously some sort of joke AdMMM?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭waterford

Quite a few in St Pauls and De La Salle I'd say

Advertisement