Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guarantee Buy Back

Options
  • 26-09-2013 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭

Last year, I purchased several textbooks for a course which amounted to a sum of €100. I was promised a guarantee buy back on all the books which was what really convinced me to fork out such a huge amount for the books (they were purchased in a college bookshop for a course I was doing)

Today I entered the exact same shop a little later than a year later and was told that they would not buy back these books as they have been removed from the syllabus. Now I obviously went on to say that I was given a guarantee buy back. However the woman in the shop said that there was terms and conditions with the scheme.

I was never given any terms and conditions and am unable to find them anywhere in the shop, or on their website. Now I am stuck with books that are in perfect condition and have no comeback with the shop in question. I am wondering if there is anything that is possible for me to do in this situation?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Have you anything in writing from the shop about this guarantee?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

Oryx wrote: »
    Have you anything in writing from the shop about this guarantee?

Nothing, there was literally a sticker on it that said "Guaranteed Buy Back".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

You might be able to flog em on Amazon anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

You might be able to flog em on Amazon anyway.

Unfortunately, second hand novels (which made up the bulk of my buy), aren't in demand much any more considering many are opting towards the e-book version of these now anyway. It's just frustrating that I thought getting even a mediocre percentage of what I paid back was on the cards and being told that I won't get even a cent is annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

Small claims court, that sticker would amount to a contract. Let them say under oath it doesn't apply, I assume you weren't told anything about any conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Small claims court, that sticker would amount to a contract. Let them say under oath it doesn't apply, I assume you weren't told anything about any conditions.

And how much would the claim be for? Buy back on €100 worth of novels would be about €20 Max, hardly worth it.
    People are always so quick to jump in with the small claims court solution!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Adverts.ie

Advertisement