Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another go at it.

• 26-09-2013 10:14am
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭

On my second day smoke free. Will attempt to post here daily to say what i'm going through/how i'm feeling.

Background story. 2 small kids, started running 5 months ago. Ran 10km there a few weeks ago fairly fast. Liked it so much, i signed up for a half marathon in 9 weeks.

Reasons for giving up are my health, want to be around for as long as possible with the kids. The cost, i could use the money spent to do something fun with the family. Fitness, wouldn't mind seeing if i could run a marathon next year.

Going cold turkey at the mo, but have an ecig thing at home and various filters when things get tough.

P.S. I work in the tobacco industry.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Orlaw3136

Good job.

Just remember - you havn't given up a pleasure or a luxury, you've stopped ingesting a poison that can kill you but at best will rob your energy and your ability to enjoy life.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,140 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Day 2 passed of peacefully. Didn't eat very well yesterday. My run didn't go great, my head and heart wasn't with it. Haven't called round to any of the friends yet, they all smoke so imagine i'll be in and out in 5/10 minutes.

Looking after yourself (eating well, exercising, relaxing & aiming to sleep well) is key. Keep it up.

The fear came last night. Was awake at 2, 4, 5 and since 6. I don't feel tired, so happy days. Off for a run at 8, should get up now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

Well done on being four days nicotine free. Your body has almost gotten rid of it now - the pangs will remain though. The big thing to avoid is the "one " . It might be a cigarette it might be a nicotine chewing gum it might be just a pull. You will tell yourself it will help - it won't of course.
    After umpteen attempts I quit successfully three years ago. The key was to accept that I couldn't have ANY nicotine - none. I was an addict and recognising that addiction is crucial. I also left my smoking wife but that's another story. Basically smokers around you don't help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

desbrook wrote: »
    You will tell yourself it will help - it won't of course.

I've been using nicotine in ecigs for the past 21 months and have zero want or need for a cigarette. "Of course" nothing.

Anyway, well done beertons!

Called round to 2 of the smoking friends houses today. Neither lit up in the house in front of me, i think that was because i had the young lad with me. I resisted a smoke anyway, went to tesco and bought yougart and some jazzy nutty bars as a reward.

Also ran 12k in 1:08 this morning, reward is justified i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 169 ✭✭100200 shih

You can do it !!!!!! Im 5 years off the fags , I used to think that every time I got thro a craving it was 1 step closer to stopping. If you have a fag now just remember that all this pain has been for nothing , 3 weeks to break a habit

Was a bit arsey today. A leg of lamb I cooked yesterday, I didn't want it today. Won't be buying lamb for a while now anyway. Think I'm getting more mellow, I hope so anyway. The wife is back talking to me after a 2 day silence.

Ate alot of peanuts today. High in energy, but high in fat. Need to find a kinder munchie on my body.

Feel great. No craving. Sense of smell hasn't returned fully yet, but then neither has my fits of coughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭desbrook

beertons wrote: »
    Ate alot of peanuts today. High in energy, but high in fat. Need to find a kinder munchie on my body.

Feel great. No craving. Sense of smell hasn't returned fully yet, but then neither has my fits of coughing.

Three years off 'em and never noticed this smell business :)

beertons wrote: »

Re the munchies - a couple of handful of nuts a day is probably enough for most anyone.

I would suggest supplement with raw carrots, peeled, cut into batons if you like, or just munched down whole. Ideal distraction. Satisfyingly crunchy, healthy as all get out. The time necessary to peel is the time within which a craving will disappear too, you may notice, athough its great that you're not getting those.

As a variation, grapes, kiwi fruit, banana.

I think my sense of smell was noticeably improved about a week after my last cigarette. Now that you're over the worst of the withdrawal, you're into what I found to be the most exciting bit - every day, practically, you notice that you feel and look a little bitter. Very invigorating. Also your sleep starts to really improve.

Keep your exercise up at least one session a day if you can - that will really help with sleeping - and just keep on doing what you're doing - you're doing really well.

Never thought of pieces of carrots, that's a great idea.

Today went grand. Bombed my run last night, but still finished it. Had a bit of fun in the kitchen today, making healthy food. Haven't hopped on the scales in a few weeks. Hope I haven't been munching too much. Feel great, no cravings. That might be down to no alcohol at the same time.

Ok so i'm crap at keeping a diary. Still going well. Have mellowed alot. Eating well, have upped my water intake to keep from snacking. Still running, haven't noticed greater lung capacity yet.

Still here and smoke free. Have put on 2lbs, so not too bad. Felt a big difference in the lungs on Saturday morning, ran 17km.

I think i'm getting another cold. Was signs of it on Tuesday night too. I thought i had escaped it, but forgot that the lungs have to empty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Quitter's flu can take a long time if that"s what it is, but it tends to be patchy rather than a constant wall of bad feelings like the actual flu.

grindle wrote: »
    Quitter's flu can take a long time if that"s what it is, but it tends to be patchy rather than a constant wall of bad feelings like the actual flu.

Time for some yoga/pilates so, i got annoyed at bedtime last night and slept in the spare room. I get terribly grumpy when i'm all coldy, can imagine i'm twice as bad now.

That cold never materialized. I bought some exbutex to clear the lungs, haven't noticed much coming up and i have the bottle drank. Feel great, no urges, and loads of energy for running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

How you hanging in?

How you hanging in?

Still here Mickey. Haven't met up with any of the lads yet, too busy with other stuff. Half marathon in 2 weeks, eeek. Haven't put on much weight, the woman is doing slimming world so getting used to not cooking with butter and oil. Had a few drinks with herself last week too, didn't miss them at all.

Work will be busy now for the next 2 weeks. My dad is away, so full workload on me. A guy we know in the same line of work was robbed on monday gone. That's gonna add to the stress levels a fair bit.

Hope i manage it ok, with running 3 times a week. I have a goal now to beat the 2 hour mark, i can't go back on the bloody things now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

That's the spirit. keep it up.

Advertisement