Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

michelin stars for kilkenny restaurants

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

That's actually quite an achievement. There are very few Michelin star restaurants in Ireland, and it says a lot about Kilkenmny to have two.

I always say it, Kilkenny is one of the best places in Ireland for restaurants. The standard here is very high. Overall it's great city, and has really taken off the past few years despite the reccession. The new motorway/s have been a real boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

On the face of it well done Kilkenny, however do you have to buy Michelin stars? I sort of remember reading that some awards are purchased, which is not playing the game.
    Is Michelin, well aren't there other restaurants in Kilkenny and county also deserving of awards, I think this star status slightly unfair, why can't we have our own restaurant guide?
    What exactly do they base their opinions on? Yes Campagne is a fine place to dine, wouldn,t argue with that, however, always a however we have some other dam fine eateries, can't we have a Boards Kilkenny County awards?
    Hungry Foxy.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

On the face of it well done Kilkenny, however do you have to buy Michelin stars? I sort of remember reading that some awards are purchased, which is not playing the game.
    Is Michelin, well aren't there other restaurants in Kilkenny and county also deserving of awards, I think this star status slightly unfair, why can't we have our own restaurant guide?
    What exactly do they base their opinions on? Yes Campagne is a fine place to dine, wouldn,t argue with that, however, always a however we have some other dam fine eateries, can't we have a Boards Kilkenny County awards?
    Hungry Foxy.

Foxy - winning a Michelin star is llike wining the world cup for a restaraunt...and having two in Killkenny is feckin deadly news!
    It is totally impartial and based purely on the quality of the food, service decor etc. etc...
    whether you like them or not or whether you'd rather go to roccos for a batter sausage box is another thing - this is super news for Kilklenny and IMO should be taken very positively...yes we do have loads of other fine eateries in KK but honestly Campagne is miles ahead..never been in the other so cant comment...there are loads of irish guides - Georgina Cambells probably being the most popular...they dont carry international recognition though
    ...for once cant you just go with the bloody flow and be happy!!:p

Now where did you get the idea I wasn't happy, delighted for both restaurants, but one must ask questions, I mean someone lost in the world cup as a result of the hand of "Henry".
    Never my friend accept things as black and white, look under the table if you find nothing so well and good, I would be happy.
    It is all to do with our politicians; trust no one, just checking.
    If what you say is right then so be it.

Now where did you get the idea I wasn't happy, delighted for both restaurants, but one must ask questions, I mean someone lost in the world cup as a result of the hand of "Henry".
    Never my friend accept things as black and white, look under the table if you find nothing so well and good, I would be happy.
    It is all to do with our politicians; trust no one, just checking.
    If what you say is right then so be it.

i tihnnk sometimes we can allow ourselves to stop questioning things and just go with it!!

as lisa simpson said post lebotomy "...join us <foxy>...its bliiiisss.."

I'm confident that there is no politiccal intrigue, durty tricks or funny business involved in any way with these restaurants winning a michelin star - its based purely on merit and that is the whole point and why they mean so much! you only get one if you really really deserve it...
    the michelin reviewers would have looked under the tables, in the corners, behind the shelves and at the bottom of the salt and pepper cellars for durt before they awarded them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

didn the chef from champegne already win one in a previous resturant??

Arawn wrote: »
    didn the chef from champegne already win one in a previous resturant??

I think so. Wasn't he a chef in Dublin beforehand.

I was talking briefly to a friend who we go to Campagne with, by the way I do not go to the other place as you know who eats there, any how, they said it is a well known restaurant for meeting council dignitaries.
    It is nice to know who supports these restaurants especially during the difficult financial period we have been through.
    It shows perfection can withstand such occurences.
    No, in truth I read an article on awards and it wasn't that good, but having read your opinion I fell satisfied we at least stirred some muddy water and now everything is clear, I shall be there before long, good luck.
    Bonne Appetite mon ami.

chapter one??

I was talking briefly to a friend who we go to Campagne with, by the way I do not go to the other place as you know who eats there, any how, they said it is a well known restaurant for meeting council dignitaries.
    It is nice to know who supports these restaurants especially during the difficult financial period we have been through.
    It shows perfection can withstand such occurences.
    No, in truth I read an article on awards and it wasn't that good, but having read your opinion I fell satisfied we at least stirred some muddy water and now everything is clear, I shall be there before long, good luck.
    Bonne Appetite mon ami.

I dont care who supports them as long as they keep racking up the stars and banging out quality food!
    I hope you're not suggesting that because some gombeen men from the CO CO spend our taxes there(another argument entirely) - that it had anything to do with the award though?? Coz thats a bit mental in all fairness...but I think(hope) Im just mis-quoting you??!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Hungry Foxy.

You cant buy them but you do have to have Michelins have strict guidelines like silver wear and you have have very nice glassware and the amount of staff would be more than normal. In other words to get to that standard you have to spend a bit of money on it and after you spend all that dosh you might not even get the star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Good news, very reasonable price for a lovely dinner at Campagne. Early bird is great value too. Wish I could afford to eat there (or any other restaurant) more than once a year.

Good news, very reasonable price for a lovely dinner at Campagne. Early bird is great value too. Wish I could afford to eat there (or any other restaurant) more than once a year.

Im coming home soon after 6 months living abroad - first stop willbe an early bird in Capagne - prices will prob go up now that they have the star...in all fairness Pierres on Parliament st never gets a mention,,,its prob my favourite place in KK...no pretentions, no fuss....no relation or tie by the way....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Delighted for Campagne, it is a fantastic restaurant!

We used to go for every family birthday up until the place started being taken over by hen nights. The last two times we were there we couldn't hear any of our party over the noise - maybe this has changed since we last went, I hope so, I can feel a visit coming on very soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

..no pretentions, no fuss....

You can say that again. You'd feel bad asking him for a menu.

What a wonderful accolade for the hard working staff, however do we honestly need someone shouting out to the media that Kilkenny is one of the top eating places not in Ireland but the world.
    There is reason in all things; we know Kilkenny is a brilliant place to eat and live and shop, to suggest that getting one Michelin star puts you in top slot is, irresponsible and would cause great disappointment to any visitor who came to our city on reading such a statement, I might well be asking for my money back.
    I am still very wary of awards going to some of the more well known chefs, where they are just a name, more than one restaurant.
    Whilst ordinary mortals are no doubt singing the praises of the chef(s) at Campagne for a well done job.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Foxy I don't know where to start. As someone who graduated in hotel management, I can tell you that having a Michelan star is phenomenal achievement. Your posts trying to put a negative twist on this very much angries me and I hope the restaurants involved do not read your posts as they undermine the huge amount of hard work and precision it takes to achieve this award. If the restaurants involved are reading this: chapeau to you.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Mon ami, I am not taking anything away from the chef and staff of Campagne, I eat there, I am knocking someone who is shouting about Kilkenny being a world food destination, by all means shout from the rooftop about our Michelin star, lets hope they get another one, any one who opens a restaurant in Gashouse lane deserves all credit possible, what they don't need is to listen to pure crap.
    I was head waiter at a restaurant, tell me how hard the work is, my gastronomic activities have taken in a fair number of reasonable restaurants, French horn at sonning, The Ivy Covent Garden, the compleat angler Marlow, Trader vic at the London Hilton to name a few, apart from living in hotels most of the week for five or six years, so I appreciate a special restaurant.
    Hope this takes away your dire thoughts of some of my posts.
    Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Great news, Ive eaten in both, Lady Helen is particularly good, well worth the trip out to Mount Juliet for a special occasion

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Foxy I don't know where to start. As someone who graduated in hotel management, I can tell you that having a Michelan star is phenomenal achievement. Your posts trying to put a negative twist on this very much angries me and I hope the restaurants involved do not read your posts as they undermine the huge amount of hard work and precision it takes to achieve this award. If the restaurants involved are reading this: chapeau to you.

Foxy is an absolute tulip. she derails ever thread with her ramblings about Tesco, aldi and some other non related bollox. would she ever just do one.

• Advertisement

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Foxy is an absolute tulip. she derails ever thread with her ramblings about Tesco, aldi and some other non related bollox. would she ever just do one.

LOL. You're not best buds so? :D

I have a hunch Foxy may be a fella but who knows ;)

Bowlardo wrote: »

Defo has some axe to grind with Phil Hogan too...always comes in most threads, usually ones with 0 to do with him.

Well boy's I think neither of you really read posts properly. Our phil is quoted in the KKPeople, in view of the opposition was it not fair comment, no hang ups no running down, straight reporting, then you drag up Tesco; why I have no idea, I said it would not really fit into the Kilkenny structure but you had to drag it up; then you start on Aldi, for Gods sake why, we got what we wanted and closed the thread.
    Now our Michelin stars, why spoil the achievement with some cheap jibe at posts forgotten and closed, you should be proud of our restaurant, my crib was the bod running round saying Kilkenny is a world food centre, in loose terms I suppose it is, but we are looking for sensible and coherent comments, not bull****e.
    As Captain Havoc said it takes a lot to get a Michelin star, accept it and be pleased, we are not here to score brownie points off other people.
    Goodnight Foxy.

Sky King wrote: »
    You can say that again. You'd feel bad asking him for a menu.

he doesnt have menus,,,you are given the chice of whats on that day when you sit...as he sets his menu according to what he gets on the day not according to what he has in the freezer or in stock so you know you are getting freshly sourced and produced food - that s a plus in my book...something to be encouraged and not taken as a negative

Well boy's I think neither of you really read posts properly. Our phil is quoted in the KKPeople, in view of the opposition was it not fair comment, no hang ups no running down, straight reporting, then you drag up Tesco; why I have no idea, I said it would not really fit into the Kilkenny structure but you had to drag it up; then you start on Aldi, for Gods sake why, we got what we wanted and closed the thread.
    Now our Michelin stars, why spoil the achievement with some cheap jibe at posts forgotten and closed, you should be proud of our restaurant, my crib was the bod running round saying Kilkenny is a world food centre, in loose terms I suppose it is, but we are looking for sensible and coherent comments, not bull****e.
    As Captain Havoc said it takes a lot to get a Michelin star, accept it and be pleased, we are not here to score brownie points off other people.
    Goodnight Foxy.

Im confused - who's the bod running around saying kilkenny is a world food cetre?? I hope thts not directed at me coz thats just wrong...if your taking what i said about it being like winning the word cup well then you're being very unfair and taking it out of context...Im not saying Kk is a "world food destination" and I think yo know that....please clarify?? Its you who should be proud of the restaraunts and not try to undermine them with silly questions about how and why they were awarded!

Rantan you should know me better than that; I would not try and confuse or upset "Posters" based on my freedom of speech and the fact that some excellent points of view are expressed, to try and gain something from another persons post takes most of the fun away from Boards.
    Hope you are now relaxed about my post, I will explain in the KK people our Tourism Head is reported as saying Kilkenny is a world food destination; as I said we should all be truly proud of Campagne, some might knock this but your comments about Pierre are fully justified; he might not qualify for a star, but none the less a brilliant chef.
    Why ask questions about the star, why not? Apparently, perhaps Captain Havoc can help, one award no names; had to be purchased by the restaurant, which made a mockery of the whole idea, equally I read that awards were given to, okay not Irish restaurants, where it is known the chef owned more than one restaurant, he irrespective of whether he was resident in that particular establishment was credited with the star; no doubt the chef running the place if that is the case would have to be exceptional. Who would be attributed to the star.
    I believe the Michelin Star is a very complex award, getting one is hard enough you can imagine getting two would be a nightmare.
    Well I hope that clears everything up for you Rantan, on that have a nice day, Foxy

Rantan you should know me better than that; I would not try and confuse or upset "Posters" based on my freedom of speech and the fact that some excellent points of view are expressed, to try and gain something from another persons post takes most of the fun away from Boards.
    Hope you are now relaxed about my post, I will explain in the KK people our Tourism Head is reported as saying Kilkenny is a world food destination; as I said we should all be truly proud of Campagne, some might knock this but your comments about Pierre are fully justified; he might not qualify for a star, but none the less a brilliant chef.
    Why ask questions about the star, why not? Apparently, perhaps Captain Havoc can help, one award no names; had to be purchased by the restaurant, which made a mockery of the whole idea, equally I read that awards were given to, okay not Irish restaurants, where it is known the chef owned more than one restaurant, he irrespective of whether he was resident in that particular establishment was credited with the star; no doubt the chef running the place if that is the case would have to be exceptional. Who would be attributed to the star.
    I believe the Michelin Star is a very complex award, getting one is hard enough you can imagine getting two would be a nightmare.
    Well I hope that clears everything up for you Rantan, on that have a nice day, Foxy

:)absolutely...cant really stay mad with you...i agree with you on the KK as a world food destination thing..its not..but on the other hand look at the options and quality available all over the county today. No harm in trying to put KK on the map is there??

How about the Gourmet Capital of the South East, before you visit anywhere else come to the vibrant modern cultural city of Kilkenny steeped in history, with probably the best castle in the country, enjoy the Michelin Starred restaurants or the abundance of high quality coffee houses and eateries.
    The Kilkenny gastronomic experience.
    At least it's honest
    Good luck Foxy

No one mentions it, but why do we not have a Salmon festival, the fish plays a big part in the diversity of the river Nore, and compared to farmed salmon we must have a treasure in our river.
    Pity we don't get eels, we could have pie and eel shops, anyone ever tried pie and mash and parsley sauce?
    ******ts and pease pudding with saveloys?

• Advertisement

How about the Gourmet Capital of the South East, before you visit anywhere else come to the vibrant modern cultural city of Kilkenny steeped in history, with probably the best castle in the country, enjoy the Michelin Starred restaurants or the abundance of high quality coffee houses and eateries.
    The Kilkenny gastronomic experience.
    At least it's honest
    Good luck Foxy

true - I like it..it would be nice to able to compete with Cork for the national title as gourmet capital though - some day.... They seem to have really great food and produce all over the place...

Advertisement