Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Project Needed

Options
  • 26-09-2013 10:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

I am a student in NUIG and as part of my Msc in Information Systems Management am required to complete a major project. The project can take many forms e.g.
    - Re-design/enhancement of an existing system for a client organisation.
    - Develop a system from scratch

I am working as part of a team of four, so essentially the client will have four people working for free. The project would take approximately 6 - 7 months. If anyone has a project that they would like us to undertake or know of a client (be it a charity, start up etc) please pm me. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'd like you to fix the traffic light system in Galway.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Ryanair website needs to be updated

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

snubbleste wrote: »
    Ryanair website needs to be updated

Bus Eireann website needs to be shot.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Every restaurant in the country needs to a website that is (a) somewhat mobile friendly and (b) doesn't have the menu as a ****ing PDF. Pick one and you might get some free meals out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

What is "major"? Are we talking coding for some website or creating a CRM system?
    Full time for 6 months or part time? How many work hours total?

I'm just trying to gauge how big a project you can actually take on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

lennyd wrote: »
    I am a student in NUIG and as part of my Msc in Information Systems Management am required to complete a major project. The project can take many forms e.g.
    - Re-design/enhancement of an existing system for a client organisation.
    - Develop a system from scratch

I am working as part of a team of four, so essentially the client will have four people working for free. The project would take approximately 6 - 7 months. If anyone has a project that they would like us to undertake or know of a client (be it a charity, start up etc) please pm me. Thanks.

If you develop a system from scratch than that will become part of the Universities Intellectual Property...be weary of that. You can patent it but I believe the University bylines may state they can claim a percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

Ficheall wrote: »
    I'd like you to fix the traffic light system in Galway.

if the traffic lights aint working then roundabout. and if the roundabout aint workin then traffic lights

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

how big a project do you want....i could do with a new website for my business and you are more than welcome to take that on!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

My Sister want me to Create the following for her Grooming Business but don't have time.

Website -> just a normal page what she offers etc.etc.

Andirod App ->
    Where Client can Log into the App with their Username and password,
    Once Logged in, their Dog Details with a Picture of the dog will be showing they are then given menus, Create Booking, Cancel Booking, Edit Details of Dog, Add a new dog and upload a picture of their dog. Given their past history of grooming.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ficheall wrote: »
    Bus Eireann website needs to be shot.

True.

However though they may be non-profit, they're not actually a charity!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

A project around the new NUIG Scratch bikes - the bikeshare scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 lennyd

biko wrote: »
    What is "major"? Are we talking coding for some website or creating a CRM system?
    Full time for 6 months or part time? How many work hours total?

I'm just trying to gauge how big a project you can actually take on.

It would probably involve both. As for the size of the project, I would have to get it approved by my supervisor as he would have a fair idea of the size of project we could take on, going on his past experience with the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Gargled

Sent you a PM with an idea!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Cork24 wrote: »
    My Sister want me to Create the following for her Grooming Business but don't have time.

Website -> just a normal page what she offers etc.etc.

Andirod App ->
    Where Client can Log into the App with their Username and password,
    Once Logged in, their Dog Details with a Picture of the dog will be showing they are then given menus, Create Booking, Cancel Booking, Edit Details of Dog, Add a new dog and upload a picture of their dog. Given their past history of grooming.

Tell your sister to forget about the "App" and have that functionality on a mobile friendly website (through responsive design or separate desktop and mobile sites)

Why limit her audience with just an Android app? The web browser is a smartphones best app.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Have PM'd you Lenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Tell your sister to forget about the "App" and have that functionality on a mobile friendly website (through responsive design or separate desktop and mobile sites)

Why limit her audience with just an Android app? The web browser is a smartphones best app.

Im working on a project which, incidentally had the OP posted this 6 months ago would have been right up his street and we have communication with NUIG, but anyhoo, theres this guy on the project we have to steer in the right direction and he keeps going "And we will build an android app, and we can get someone else to make an iOS app", and the whole time Im going no, no, no, lets not make an App, lets build a mobile friendly website and halve the work involved. I lost the battle and he won, yet again. Im not bitter Im just tired of fighting and trying to steer him in one direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yeah, I got pooh-poohed several years ago for suggesting that the mobile world needs to learn what the desktop world did years ago: supporting multiple versions of the same thing is a PITA and a waste of resources: Build for browsers and avoid all that shyte. (Android, iOS, Blackberry) is really just (Win 311, NT, Citrix) is really just all over again, with prettier buttons and smaller screens.

I still reckon I'm right.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bring back WAP *hipster old school*

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Apps definitely have their place for certain things but yeah the rush for an app for the sake of an app reminds me of the early 2000's where businesses rushed to have complicated flash websites that were really slow and annoying to use, in fact a lot of websites still have this.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

biko wrote: »
    Bring back WAP *hipster old school*
    "Teletext, but on your phone"

• Advertisement
Advertisement