Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Insurance??

• 26-09-2013 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Does anyone know what 600cc bikes are cheap to insure? Only have a 125 and want to upgrade.. Looking for a 600cc because want to be able to do the A licence test on it and not have to rent on the day?! Im 24 btw. Looking for sporty models like gsxr or ninjas or r6 kinda bikes? Just to add looking for bikes for similar style not power.

Any info would be greatly appreciated thank you!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

the words cheap and gsxr/r6/ninja etc don't sit well together i'm afraid. if you must torment yourself with the high cost then try some of the online quote sites, liberty, aon et al or ring adelaide up north. for reg numbers just stick in the year of the bike then D then 9999 ie 03D9999 that normally works, for a laugh post up some of your quotes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,021 ✭✭✭Wossack

cheap to insure 600cc bikes are not gsxr or ninjas or r6 kinda bikes.. see fazers, bandits, er6, cbf600's, deauvilles etc

The A1 license is just the 125cc licence afaik (?) so might be some confusion there?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Guily

Sorry I mean the A licence the highest one like, hasn't it all changed now like A2,A1,A.. ?

aye, a few changes alright

AM - mopeds
    A1 - 125
    A2 - 'restricted' A
    A - 'full' A

Roadskills website seems to be the most up to date, and concise collection of the new rules/regulations - Im well out of the loop with regards licenses, and bike power restrictions these days unfort..

http://www.roadskill.ie/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=40&Itemid=39

Just double, and triple check what you're thinking of buying against what you need for the respective license test. Check and make sure it oks for next year too - in case the goalposts move again (I think they might be planning on it?)

Thanks useful website, but it kinda confused me too ha! according to that website you can rent out a Honda CBF250cc to do the catergory A licence but i thought the kw rating would be too low for the A test? If thats the case i would very happy with a 400cc bike, something thats solid for motorway driving and can get me a the full A licence...This is all very confusing ha!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Your best compromise between sporty styling and 'relatively' cheap insurance is probably a Suzuki SV 650.

Yamaha Fazer is another great option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

I hate these new requirements.

As far as I know for bikes for the full test its,

A1 = 50-124cc (<12.5kw)
    A2 = 395cc+ (<35kw)
    A = 595cc+

Not sure about the kilowatts on the Full A test. Could always give the motor tax office a ring or the centre which your planning on doing it in ? Thats what Id do anyways. Hopefully they will know what they are talking about and can guide you, and if they cant, well quote them on it when you arrive :D

hmm yea, that doesnt sound right (after me saying its the most up to date!)

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Learner%20Drivers/Third%20Directive/Link%206%20Representative%20vehicles%20for%20the%20driving%20test%20@%2018th%20July%202012.pdf

'A' test bikes need to be minimum 595cc, making at least 40Kw (bout 55hp)

Yeah Suzuki SV 650 was on my maybe list, just went on the rsa.ie website there and its saying since i have my permit before the 19th of jan 2013 the old restrictions still apply to me but apparently if your 24 or over you can drive an unrestricted bike so i dont know where i lie now.

This is from the website "Prior to the 19th January 2013, a person applying for a first-time motorcycle learner permit in category A was restricted to driving motorcycles with an engine power output not exceeding 25kW or with a power/weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg"

does that mean then i can do my test on a 25kw bike?? Why do they have to make getting a bike licence so awkward?

If you have a learner permit or full licence which was issued before the 19th January 2013, this restriction continues to apply for the duration of those learner permits and for the first 2 years after taking out a full driving licence in category A. apologies left out the important part haha!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Guily wrote: »
    does that mean then i can do my test on a 25kw bike?? Why do they have to make getting a bike licence so awkward?
    Because they would rather people didn't ride bikes and instead drove a car.

Rang the RSA cleared everything up.. because i have the licence before 19/1/13 i am still restricted to 25kw bike so i have to do the test for a A2 licence(once you pass the A2 test you can drive upto a 35kw bike) and when i have that licence for 2 years i can do a module 5(IBT) and get the full A unrestricted licence, Without having to do a seperate test for the A catergory for which i thought you had to do.

Also if i wanted i could apply for a Category A permit now, and do the unrestricted test but you still have to do the module five as well and also have to do the test on 40kw or more bike (600cc), so for insurance sake and cost wise im going to do the A2 first and go the long way about it.

Thanks for all your help!! Hope that clears things for a few people : )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

PM Lookbehindyou off here he is an IBT instructor and will give you all the info you need.

Advertisement