Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wexford Festival Opera (and associated sites) 23rd October - 3rd November 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Any recommendations for a festival rookie, Mrs Wex wants to go but we don't know the first thing about opera, dress codes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

wexfjord wrote: »
    Any recommendations for a festival rookie, Mrs Wex wants to go but we don't know the first thing about opera, dress codes etc.

I've been to a few in the past.

You don't need the Penguin suit - they say "evening wear is strongly advised" but a smart suit and tie and you wont look too out of place.

Is it specifically an Opera you want to see?

Some good gigs in the Spiegeltent

Sorry for the delay, she wants the whole opera experience but like I say, we wouldnt have the foggiest. Having seen the pics in the papers over the years I'd feel underdressed without the tux or is that just an impression they are trying to convey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Smart suit/evening wear would be fine. The ones who appear in the papers have usually been at a reception or some other 'do' beforehand, so would be more likely to be the ones wearing the tux.

Also in case you are worried about not having the foggiest, there are electronic signs by the side of the stage with subtitles, so even if you don't speak the language of the opera you will know what is going on. It is worth the experience, I've been to a few and by no means an opera buff (or even a fan TBH) but like to go for the sets and costumes, as much as for the music.

Sorry for the delay, she wants the whole opera experience but like I say, we wouldnt have the foggiest. Having seen the pics in the papers over the years I'd feel underdressed without the tux or is that just an impression they are trying to convey.

My advice would be to wear a Tuxedo. You would be the exception rather than the rule in a suit and tie. Plus it makes the occasion feel better imo. As I said in an earlier post you won't look out of place but it's nice to wear the Tux.
    Smart suit/evening wear would be fine. The ones who appear in the papers have usually been at a reception or some other 'do' beforehand, so would be more likely to be the ones wearing the tux.

99% of men wear Tuxedos in my experience
    Also in case you are worried about not having the foggiest, there are electronic signs by the side of the stage with subtitles, so even if you don't speak the language of the opera you will know what is going on. It is worth the experience, I've been to a few and by no means an opera buff (or even a fan TBH) but like to go for the sets and costumes, as much as for the music.

Those "electronic signs" are indeed SURtitles (above the stage as opposed to SUBtitles which are below) and are translated to english;).

You won't find the libretto of the opera very engaging, it's usually quite repetitive and olde worlde (and about love and heartbreak :P).

Worth buying a programme and reading the synopsis of the opera in advance so you know the characters and the general jist of the opera and sit back and enjoy the singing, the orchestra and the language in which it was written.

Have a great time, I'd highly recommend it, you never know you might even get addicted !!

PS, The Opera House is an amazing venue and sound is pristine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Poochie05

vicwatson wrote: »
    My advice would be to wear a Tuxedo. You would be the exception rather than the rule in a suit and tie. Plus it makes the occasion feel better imo. As I said in an earlier post you won't look out of place but it's nice to wear the Tux.

99% of men wear Tuxedos in my experience

Those "electronic signs" are indeed SURtitles (above the stage as opposed to SUBtitles which are below) and are translated to english;).

You won't find the libretto of the opera very engaging, it's usually quite repetitive and olde worlde (and about love and heartbreak :P).

Worth buying a programme and reading the synopsis of the opera in advance so you know the characters and the general jist of the opera and sit back and enjoy the singing, the orchestra and the language in which it was written.

Have a great time, I'd highly recommend it, you never know you might even get addicted !!

PS, The Opera House is an amazing venue and sound is pristine.

I know they're called SURtitles but I was trying not to put wexfjord off by being too pedantic or jargonistic ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I just wear suit and tie a tux as a bit much I find.

Poochie05 wrote: »
    I know they're called SURtitles but I was trying not to put wexfjord off by being too pedantic or jargonistic ;)

Oh !

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭countryliving

hello, i worked in wexford a couple of years ago and got dress rehearsal tickets to the opera. since then i have always returned and paid full price for the opera. it is an amazing experience and worth every penny.
    this year unfortunately i am unemployed not working. i am from kilkenny.
    would anyone have a dress rehearsal ticket to sell?
    thank you...hopeful....:) but would really appreciate it

They are quite hard to come by countryliving, perhaps give the box office a call and explain your situation to see if there is anything available for you??

• Advertisement

Fireworks good??

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Wasn't as good as previous years.

Seemed a lot shorter too this year, or maybe was just me.

Crowd seemed bigger on quays this year compared to last year, Sharkeys did some business tonight I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

Fantastic photo shared on twitter by Rory Cardiff of fireworks over Wexford. Here is the link
    http://t.co/jTeiU1yCrW

Don't know where it was shot from, or by whom, but Wexford looks great.

jordata wrote: »
    Fantastic photo shared on twitter by Rory Cardiff of fireworks over Wexford. Here is the link
    http://t.co/jTeiU1yCrW

Don't know where it was shot from, or by whom, but Wexford looks great.

Shot from Hillcrest, Mulgannon ??

Did you get to go after? Did you enjoy the night?

No, a few unexpected expenses came our way so it was a non runner. The auld social life is not what it used to be, didn't even get down for the fireworks this year. I read somewhere that they are up scaling things next year, more shows etc. Good to see a bit of progress.

Advertisement