Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

University for Kilkenny

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭odin_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

I take it most of this is referring to some discussions going on about setting up a research centre in the proposed development in the old smithwicks brewery site. I don't think anyone in their right mind is considering a kilkenny university, rather a campus of the new tech university in kilkenny. WIT already have research offices (TSSG) in kilkenny for the last 18 months in St Kierans which is in partnership with IT Carlow. Any realistic discussion will be about some expansion of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

What's the population of KK ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Rightwing wrote: »
    What's the population of KK ?

c25,000. Bigger than Sligo, Carlow, Tralee, Letterkenny, all with IT colleges for years.

rayc wrote: »
    I take it most of this is referring to some discussions going on about setting up a research centre in the proposed development in the old smithwicks brewery site. I don't think anyone in their right mind is considering a kilkenny university, rather a campus of the new tech university in kilkenny. WIT already have research offices (TSSG) in kilkenny for the last 18 months in St Kierans which is in partnership with IT Carlow. Any realistic discussion will be about some expansion of this.

Exactly. There's not going to be "new" institute or administration. Merely a branch of existing like NUI Maynooth or WIT. Who in their right mind wopuld oppose such a development for Kilkenny....

• Advertisement

Doylers wrote: »
    Why give a town a uni? Not enough people in Kilkenny to support one. Waterford is more than close enough and there struggling enough to get a uni.

What a ridiculous statement. Maybe you should go tell the same to Carlow, Athlone, Sligo and Letterkenny. All smaller than Kilkenny. They're clearly "too small" as well to have colleges?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

road_high wrote: »
    Exactly. There's not going to be "new" institute or administration. Merely a branch of existing like NUI Maynooth or WIT. Who in their right mind wopuld oppose such a development for Kilkenny....

I dont think anyone would oppose some sort of branch from one of the other ITs or Unis but the suggestion from Foxy about Kilkenny getting a Uni is a dream that wont ever come to fruition.

odin_ie wrote: »
    I'm not suggesting a new institution, I am suggesting a campus of the new Technical University of the South East, which appears to be a multi campus institution, if Kilkenny can carve out a niche market in a particular industry or two and gets 1000 students through say two 4 year programs, with optional masters, it would do wonders for the local economy. This wouldn't be Kilkenny University by a long shot.

Exactly. The thread title is completely misleading here. Third level education has moved on from county colours type institutes long ago.
    What i read is a research and innovation type campus. Not "Kilkenny University". I don't know how anybody reading about the Abbey Quarter could take that from what is being planned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

road_high wrote: »
    c25,000. Bigger than Sligo, Carlow, Tralee, Letterkenny, all with IT colleges for years.

There's too many of these ITs and too many 3rd level in Dublin. Maybe KK being close to Waterford hasn't helped it, a bit like Ennis being close to Limk.

Rightwing wrote: »
    There's too many of these ITs and too many 3rd level in Dublin. Maybe KK being close to Waterford hasn't helped it, a bit like Ennis being close to Limk.

There are too many. Let's face it's a bit of a gravy train and jobs for the academic community on many levels.
    But the Kilkenny development is not a new IT or Uni, merely a cooperation of what we already have, i.e existing IT's. Its not "another IT"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I went to college in Shannon which is a very small town. The college itself is very small and it's a recognised NUI college.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement