Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pregnant and being made redundat

• 26-09-2013 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

Hi,

Can I get some advice pls..just been told that i am being made redundant- no officail date given yet- I have 7 weeks left until I go on maternity leave..can anybody give some advice on entitlements? If I do get my maternity leave should I get my redundancy after? Thanks in advance..

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Talk to citizens advice,you are entitled to your redundancy now and also your normal state paid maternity leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

crunchie1 wrote: »
    Hi,

Can I get some advice pls..just been told that i am being made redundant- no officail date given yet- I have 7 weeks left until I go on maternity leave..can anybody give some advice on entitlements? If I do get my maternity leave should I get my redundancy after? Thanks in advance..

Hi Crunchie,
    Thats not good news to get.

Couple of questions:

1. Would the company have been paying your maternity (ie top on the state benifit)
    2. Is it just your roll being made redundant? Or is it a group of ppl?

I would kick up a fuss to be honest if the answer is yes to either of those questions, you may get an extra lump sum because of it.

I would seek legal advice ASAP and see what your rights are.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Probably worth contacting Citizens Advice but I was kind of in a similar situation at the start of my maternity leave. Was told there would be redundancies, that was about a week before my leave started so I looked up all the information.

I read somewhere that your redundancy notice 'pauses' once your maternity leave starts. So for example if you were due 8 weeks notice and have 7 weeks left, then after 7 weeks your notice 'pauses' and would continue for the last week after your maternity leave ends. If you were due to be paid for the maternity leave then that should continue as normal. If they don't give you notice before you're maternity leave starts then they cannot put you on notice until your maternity leave is over (that's the position I am in at the moment). The day I'm due back from maternity leave I will be put on notice but can't be touched at the moment.

The above is just information I got online so for the first part re the notice pausing I can't be 100% that it is correct but worth finding out. You definitely can't be put on notice once on maternity leave.

If you haven't already sent off the forms for maternity leave it might be worth considering going on leave a few weeks early to try and avoid the redundancy until after maternity leave is over.

Advertisement