Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike theft from train stations - a big problem?

Options
  • 26-09-2013 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭

Is there a problem with bike theft from Clonsilla, Coolmine and Castleknock train stations?
    Are there enough bikes parked at the stations for there to be an opportunity for theft?
    Do the bike lockers help? Anyone using them?

Dublin Cycling Campaign are looking into the issue and I want to tell them whether there is an issue in Dublin 15.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Do a search on the stolen bikes thread in the Cycling forum, I think there's been a mention of thefts and/or vandalism in those stations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

The bike lockers are of no use to anyone who just wants to use'em once or twice a month. There's been quite a number of people posting about issues with theft in the neighbourhood watch thread here. I've had a bike vandalised at Coolmine station myself. And there's a mangled frame of one that's been at the station for a long time. I'm guessing the owner was never too bothered to take it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

My brothers bike was robbed from Clonsilla a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I had a bike stolen from coolmine station 2 years ago. So I gave up on that eco life style and just went back to using the car.

Goverment incentives are not there to encrouage you to use your bike just to make you buy one....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

My bike was stolen from there over the summer (outside Ashtown Station)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭central

My bike was stolen from Clonsilla train station about 2 years ago, the very first day I cycled to get the train! I had two decent locks on it too. Was raging as I had to walk home and the guards were next to useless, never mind Irish Rail.

I began cycling to Clonsilla as my car was getting damaged so needless to say that day the bike was stolen was my last trip on the train to work. I now have to drive my car to another area and get another bus route.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Had a few lads try to rob my bike in Ashtown tonight.
    All I got was abuse from them calling me a culchie ,im from Tallaght :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Bob Annaliffia

Hi,

I had my bike vandalised at Coolmine by "The Carpo Lads". They left a note, and a dog turd on the saddle. It was actually sort of funny! Shortly after, the bike was stolen from Castleknock Train Station. Even if you have serious locks and chains, the robbing will wreck your bike just out of badness. The public bike racks are deliberately not covered by CCTV, I guess irish rail are sick of the hassle too. It's entirely at your own risk. If you are regularly commuting, and have a decent bike, I'd advise using the bike lockers. They are well covered by CCTV. I walk to the station now :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I bring my bike on the train. But that's a whole different issue, due to the crowding at peak.

The racks at the train stations have bits of bikes attached to them. That alone wouldn't encourage me to use them. Not used the bike lockers. Be interesting in hearing others experience of them.

Be interested in a similar study of bike theft at the shopping centres like Blanch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Face it guys,

its D15 and no matter where you live, or how nice & trouble-free you perceive the area to be, the scumbags have a nose for it.

You are asking for trouble locking any rothar in any of the exposed locking areas within Blanch and the surrounding areas. If they can't steal it, the little prcks will damage it beyond repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

This is not unique to Blanch. If you follow the Stolen Bicycles thread you'll see if happen the city, and country, over. D15 is not top of the list for where this happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

To be honest, your bike is pretty likely to get robbed anywhere in Dublin.

Which implies to increase cycle usage there has to be secure parking provided. By that at the train, work, or shopping centers.

Advertisement