Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Michelin Star Restaurants in Cork

Options
  • 26-09-2013 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Why? We call ourselves the gourmet capital of Ireland yet there are none? Some may say that its licence to hike up prices which may/may not happen, but I see the award as a validation for the restaurant, local suppliers and so on. Waterford has one, Kilkenny has two, surely we should have a couple based on local produce!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Completely agree. Was lucky to eat in the 'Cliff House Hotel' once and it was sublime!
    There are great restaurants in Cork though......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Who calls Cork the gourmet capital of Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

To my knowledge there have only ever been four restaurants in the whole of the county that have had michelin stars at some stage, Arbutus Lodge held a star during the 70s, Ballylickey house also had one in the 70s, Shiro in Ahakista had one for a few years up until 2001 & little known, but Ballymaloe House had one from 1975 to 1980.

Never been one actually in the City, although quite a few are listed in the Michelin guide which is the starting point for a star.

I used to eat regularly in a restaurant in the UK which gained a star, could never get a booking in there afterwards !, so it may be a blessing in disguse for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I thought Oysters might get one alright... but then again, they don't really do the style of food that the michelin starred ones do? The tiny posh plates? They are more relaxed.

There are a couple of Michelin bib Gourmand's in Cork. Fishy Fishy in Kinsale, and Deasy's in Clonakilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Andip wrote: »
    TArbutus Lodge held a star during the 70s,
    Was actually awarded 3 stars in '82. I was wrong. 1 star in 1974-1983, 1987 and 1988.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

I never got the old Michelin stars, once its good tis good. Mad to try oysters I am hearing good things about it. Does anyone here know of a place in cork city that does proper crab claws more like a crab arm? Im mad for the stuff but cant afford a trip to Baltimore all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

pwurple wrote: »
    I thought Oysters might get one alright... but then again, they don't really do the style of food that the michelin starred ones do? The tiny posh plates? They are more relaxed.

There are a couple of Michelin bib Gourmand's in Cork. Fishy Fishy in Kinsale, and Deasy's in Clonakilty.

The one time I was in Oysters it was a long long way from a star in my opinion. Must try is again.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭I8A4RE

drumswan wrote: »
    Who calls Cork the gourmet capital of Ireland?

I do wish to clarify error, its Kinsale thats said to be a gourmet capital

http://kinsale.ie/

Apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Oysters will never get a star in the space they're in.
    I haven't eaten there but from knowing people who have, it seems to be a bit hit and miss and a long way from a star.

Oysters will never get a star in the space they're in.
    I haven't eaten there but from knowing people who have, it seems to be a bit hit and miss and a long way from a star.

I don't know why they wouldn't get one based on the space? Augustines, who were in that exact space before them were mentioned in the michelin guide, which is a step along the way.

The two times I've been there they have been excellent, but as I said above, not the style of starred places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,037 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I don't know why they wouldn't get one based on the space? Augustines, who were in that exact space before them were mentioned in the michelin guide, which is a step along the way.

The two times I've been there they have been excellent, but as I said above, not the style of starred places.

I ate in Augustins and I just don't like the room - it is very much a hotel dining room. Augustin's were quite a bit off a star. The service was poor, the wine list was poor, the coffee was terrible and the room.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

I8A4RE wrote: »
    Why? We call ourselves the gourmet capital of Ireland yet there are none? Some may say that its licence to hike up prices which may/may not happen, but I see the award as a validation for the restaurant, local suppliers and so on. Waterford has one, Kilkenny has two, surely we should have a couple based on local produce!

Because its not Paris, New York, Tokyo etc. Ireland is lucky to have the ones we do and the majority are in the capital city with the rest in small quirky locations. The guide has huge bias towards French cuisine (45 percent are French) and towards global cities or cities that have high reputations such as Edinburgh. (Dublin is obviously not one hence the low number of stars). Cork and surrounds are a gourmet county no doubt, the cheese alone confers this status. The county is nearly singularly responsible for restoring Ireland's cheese craft.Cork does't need the stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Terrific doc called "A Matter of Taste", covering ten years in the career of chef Paul Liebrandt shows just how terribly hard it is to get a star - or two.

That docu is good. No-one knows what gets the stars exactly...service, food and wine certainly, but the room? I don't know.

Anair in galway isn't great inside. Cliff house has a spectacular dining room for sure, but loads of the french ones ( like abbaye de la bussiere) are just very plain rooms in a hotel.

There has been an argument too that a michelin star can sometimes hurt a business, with the usual customers feeling pushed out. You have to aim directly for it, and business in Cork may not get the volume to justify the expense? It is just a tyre company rating after all. :)

How the Michelin guide crippled France's restaurants.

Now we have 3....boom

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

You were waiting a while to dig up this thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

Jeez there are some cobwebs on this thread :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,911 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

topnotch wrote: »
    Jeez there are some cobwebs on this thread :pac:

Top-notch posting ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Anair in galway isn't great inside. Cliff house has a spectacular dining room for sure, but loads of the french ones ( like abbaye de la bussiere) are just very plain rooms in a hotel.

Some of the Hong Kong stars are hole in the wall canteens with stools where you go to the counter to order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I8A4RE wrote: »
    Now we have 3....boom
    Like BE, waiting ages for a bus, then 3 turn up at the same time.:D Nice to see for a change.

• Advertisement

Effects wrote: »
    You were waiting a while to dig up this thread!

I was waiting in the long grass biding my time

Advertisement