Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smilies....why none representing "sad" ?

Options
  • 26-09-2013 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭

When I recently went searching for one of these, I was surprised to discover that there were none. I would have thought that this would have been in the top five, priority wise. Other forums have a crying smilie.

Any chance we might get one soon ?

I am really sad about this, but have no real way of showing it...so......:P....will have to do !!!!
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Rigsby wrote: »
    When I recently went searching for one of these, I was surprised to discover that there were none. I would have thought that this would have been in the top five, priority wise. Other forums have a crying smilie.

I am really sad about this, but have no real way of showing it...so......:P....will have to do !!!!

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

bumper234 wrote: »
    :(

Not sure if you mean that this represents sadness or that you are annoyed that there are no "sad" smilies.

That smilie depicts a frown, (and says so when you put the cursor arrow on it) which is quite different.

But....you frown when you're sad

But....you frown when you're sad

The "mad" icon would cover both "mad" and "sad", they're almost identical.

It's all in the eyebrows

• Advertisement

It's all in the eyebrows

:D

So, maybe we can have a crying icon, with whatever type of eyebrows you want.

Not sure if you mean that this represents sadness or that you are annoyed that there are no "sad" smilies.

That smilie depicts a frown, (and says so when you put the cursor arrow on it) which is quite different.

Is the frown not closer to sad than the one you chose to depict sadness?:confused:

They could be happy tears.

How could we possibly tell?

Anyway EVERYONE knows there are no sad people on boards.ie :D

• Advertisement

Is the frown not closer to sad than the one you chose to depict sadness?:confused:

I suppose it depends on the situation and how people interpret the icon. If you want to show sympathy with someone over say the loss of a loved one, or the death of a music legend, for example, then IMO a crying icon would work better than a frown one.

Is it beyond the realms of science, that perhaps we could keep the "frown", but also add the "crying" icon ? ;)

They could be happy tears.

How could we possibly tell?

The title of the thread or general subject would tell you that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Anyway EVERYONE knows there are no sad people on boards.ie :D

You should see some of the inmates in the Prison forum, talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory-

"Can I get out of here please? :("

"OK, have a read of the terms and conditions and post back that you understand them"

"Ahh you bunch of circle-jerking cocksuckers! :mad:"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭Quixoticelixer

:( <---- If this isn't "sad" then I don't know what is! Just because it's called a frown doesn't mean it is a frown! The eyebrows are the exact opposite of frowning, the eyebrows in the angry emoticon are frowning :mad:

While we're at it, what's so special about Stick out Tongue that it get's to be included twice?:P:p No fair :(

The title of the thread or general subject would tell you that.

Same could be said for the frown smiley!

Really though - a crying smiley? it would be disingenous to post a crying smiley in sympathy for someone else, unless you were indeed crying. Chances are, you will probably frown if you read a sad story, so the use of that smiley is valid.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    You should see some of the inmates in the Prison forum, talk about snatching defeat from the jaws of victory-

"Can I get out of here please? :("

"OK, have a read of the terms and conditions and post back that you understand them"

"Ahh you bunch of circle-jerking cocksuckers! :mad:"

I go there for a read when i am bored it makes for funny reading :D

:( <---- If this isn't "sad" then I don't know what is! Just because it's called a frown doesn't mean it is a frown! The eyebrows are the exact opposite of frowning, the eyebrows in the angry emoticon are frowning :mad:(

Looks like I am in a minority here. Fair enough. :)

Looks like I am in a minority here. Fair enough. :)

Not saying you're wrong as such (this is a subjective thing afterall!), I'm just curious, but is what you're looking for a kind of a hybrid of these two guys; :(:), sad mouth and no eyebrows?

Not saying you're wrong as such (this is a subjective thing afterall!), I'm just curious, but is what you're looking for a kind of a hybrid of these two guys; :(:), sad mouth and no eyebrows?

There is another forum ( more than one, in fact) that I frequent that has a "crying" smilie with no eyebrows :D... and tears.

All I am suggesting is that adding such an icon, would give people more options (and let them be the judge of which to use), depending on the nature of the thread.

Going by the responces here, people are happy with what they have.

So be it. :)

This wee fella;fetch?id=3660343

• Advertisement

fetch?id=3660343

Yep.... something similar to that.

I tried copying the exact one from the other forum, but it would not paste.

go to the other forum, right click the smiley, go to properties and get the url of the smiley (prolly has a .jpg extension) and paste it here with img tags

smiley.jpg

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

That's not sad, that's inconsolable. There is quite a gap. The purple 'frown' one is clearly the appropriate 'sad' emoticon. I have no idea how the tongue sticking out one could be seen as the best of what is there to display sadness.

5starpool wrote: »
    That's not sad, that's inconsolable. There is quite a gap.

I am not going to split hairs any further.

Everyone is happy with their lot.

Happy Days !!!

Over and out......:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just type :sad: we'll get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I reckon the :( is called "frown" in error. It clearly isn't a frown and is clearly a sad face.

:mad: is a frown.

I really should go to bed. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 83,126 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

picture.php?pictureid=11&albumid=8&dl=1212729317&thumb=1

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The "mad" icon would cover both "mad" and "sad", they're almost identical.
    :( v :mad:

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

):

Advertisement