Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smilies....why none representing "sad" ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

In the Cloud skin, the sad smiley looks more miffed than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

:''(

Am I alone in thinking that we should just get rid of smileys completely?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

:rolleyes:

(Sorry! :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I realise that earlier I said I had finished with this thread, but I'd just like to comment on this.

In forums such as "Boards" and forums in general, I think smilies are very important. It is possible for a written sentence or paragraph to be interpreted in more than one way. Smilies help to avoid confrontation and help a thread to go ahead smoothly and amicably. Granted, it does not always work, but more often than not it does it's job.

The sole reason why I started this thread was that I thought that the "sad" icon in particular could be improved. The majority of posters disagree and that's fair enough. I get the message !!!! :D

Some have suggested to simply put "sad". Yes, that's possible, but to bring this suggestion to a logical conclusion, there is no need for any icon smilies at all. We could just put "annoyed" "mad" etc., but the icons look better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

RopeDrink wrote: »

While I don't consider it of such importance that I'd make a thread about it, nor an issue that detracts from my enjoyment of Boards

Yes, it is a trivial issue compared to other things. No it does not in the least, spoil my enjoyment of Boards.

This is the "Feedback" forum so I just wanted to....well....leave feedback. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I can't think of anything sadder than using the rolleyes one, if that's any help.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

anncoates wrote: »
    I can't think of anything sadder than using the rolleyes one, if that's any help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

giphy.gif

Animated smileys are the devil! :P I can tolerate the Skype ones, but on forums the movement is a distraction (like in animated sigs and avatars).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I agree with Insect Overlord- animated smileys are horrible! I do think there could be a couple of new ones added to the current batch though, to spice things up a little. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Do what my daughter does and actually use the words "sad face" in conversation.

The internet has ruined her.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

MadsL wrote: »
    Do what my daughter does and actually use the words "sad face" in conversation.

The internet has ruined her.
    I say that.

Must be an Irish thing. :pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

The only animated smilie that should be tolerated is:

casanova.gif

The adorable little perv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

My first foray onto message boards back in 2006 was IMDb

They had and still have the best range of smileys ever! I agree with wanting a crying face. It looks stupid typing :'(

My most missed smiley by far however is:
    none.gif Classic "none" face.

Advertisement