Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

full cheek snaffles with bit keepers

Options
  • 26-09-2013 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi All,
    just wondering what the general feeling is using full cheek snaffles with or without bit keepers. Have spoken to some people who dont use the keepers on them, just bought one and wondering if you have to use them or is it a peference? what role do the keepers do?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

adamant3 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    just wondering what the general feeling is using full cheek snaffles with or without bit keepers. Have spoken to some people who dont use the keepers on them, just bought one and wondering if you have to use them or is it a peference? what role do the keepers do?:confused:

If you ride off the keepers you create a different pressure. What do you hope the bit will help with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Gorteen

Never bothered with keepers

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

I have a full cheek bit but dont use keepers as I have a very young horse and dont want the extra pressure on him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 adamant3

going to try a full cheek snaffle as having problems with direction horse very green, leg on, outside rein but still difficult. had someone ride him and they had a full cheek snaffle and it seemed to help him with direction, less pulling

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

adamant3 wrote: »
    going to try a full cheek snaffle as having problems with direction horse very green, leg on, outside rein but still difficult. had someone ride him and they had a full cheek snaffle and it seemed to help him with direction, less pulling

This is part of the reason I tried one in the first place too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

i'd only use the bit keepers with the loose ring fulmer snaffles as they are designed to be used with them i.e. there is a loose ring function between the mouth piece and the long sides which allows them to move independantly a bit and means you can pop the cheeks in the keepers and the cheek can move along the ring

http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/P/Fulmer_Jointed_Snaffle-%28434%29.aspx

The full cheek I would have thought would not be used with keepers as its a fixed mechanism between the ring and cheeks and mouthpiece and the keepers would tilt it at an angle?

http://www.thesaddleryshop.co.uk/P/Full_cheek_french_link_Snaffle_full_cheek_french_mouth_snaffle-%28436%29.aspx

Advertisement