Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canicross /Bikejor Equipment

• 26-09-2013 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Have been looking around the net for information about the stuff needed for Canicross and the likes. So far I know I need the following

Harness
    Bungee Line
    Belt
    Bikejor arm

The main problem is that some sites say use X harnesses for canicross while others say that only shoulder harnesses should be used. I get the point about the dog being able to back out of the X harness and that they can't out of the shoulder but isn't the X harness better for the dog cause I'm no light guy so he'd be pulling me (with me helping out)

Anyone got gear that they could recommend / steer me clear of? Have seen a few on the snow paw site but there's not many reviews to go on.

I've a sibe who's turning a year next month and if the vet gives the ok we'll be starting with some small runs! Also do people know any events that are in ireland that you can enter with your dog seems like Scotland/england have loads but none here.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Hiya,

The reason that a shoulder harness is recommended instead of an xback for bikejoring and canicross isn't because of a dog backing out of it, it's because of the point of attachment. If a dog was pulling a rig or a sled, the line would be attached low down, and so the line would be attached to the x back harness on a level. Because on a bike, the line is coming down from the bike's headstock, if the dog isn't particularly tall, attaching it to an x back could pull the dog's back end up, whereas attached to a shoulder harness, that wouldn't happen, same as coming off a waistbelt, depends on your height, and the height of your dog.

Whereabouts in the country are you? There is a Facebook group, Canicross in Ireland that is good, and they have links to some local groups around the country. If you let me know where you are, I might be able to put you in touch with some locals that run their dogs and they could let you see the equipment, maybe try some out, see what suits your dog and you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tinyter28

Thanks Muddy paws, so I'd def be looking for a shoulder harness cause he's not that tall (shoulders are around my knee height)

I'm based in north Dublin but I head over the south for Marley most weekends with him. Will check that Fb page out and see whats on!

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

I bought this bike fitting for my mountain bike
    http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/biking_accessories/biking_leads/140001

It's great, keeps her out from me, can angle it back a bit so that it doesn't interfere with my leg, and any sudden movement is absorbed.

I even had the two of them on it using a splitter lead the other day.

I'm still on the lookout for decent harnesses though so will be interested on feedback from anyone who does a lot of running/cycling with their dog. Something soft that doesn't rub in the wrong places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

carav10 wrote: »
    I bought this bike fitting for my mountain bike
    http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/dogs/dog_cages_carriers/biking_accessories/biking_leads/140001

It's great, keeps her out from me, can angle it back a bit so that it doesn't interfere with my leg, and any sudden movement is absorbed.

I even had the two of them on it using a splitter lead the other day.

I'm still on the lookout for decent harnesses though so will be interested on feedback from anyone who does a lot of running/cycling with their dog. Something soft that doesn't rub in the wrong places.

Nothing wrong with that attachment for running your dog on your bike, but it's not a bikejoring attachment, they have to have the dog running out in front, pulling.

I'm having a harness made by Trailbaby at the moment, for one of my dogs that hurt his back last year, she makes lovely harnesses, made to measure, she's on Facebook, can use fleece or padded ripstop in the 'rubbing' spots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭carav10

muddypaws wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with that attachment for running your dog on your bike, but it's not a bikejoring attachment, they have to have the dog running out in front, pulling.

I'm having a harness made by Trailbaby at the moment, for one of my dogs that hurt his back last year, she makes lovely harnesses, made to measure, she's on Facebook, can use fleece or padded ripstop in the 'rubbing' spots.

Ahhh I was thinking there might be a difference but wasn't sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

Advertisement