Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Féileacán Mór

• 26-09-2013 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭

I was trying to be clever and call this blog Papillon.
    Not after the book, though I am an avid reader and this was one of my first 'grown up' books to read. Instead I was using Papillon to identify a chrysalis like change that was about to happen.

'Papillon' is gone, I didn't bother looking at 'Butterfly' or other derivatives, 'Irish Papillon' ? m'eh.
    'Féileacán'? (Irish for butterfly) gone and in hibernation since 2006! Why aren't old unused blogs and Twitter handles just blasted if unused for, say, 6 months?
    However, 'Féileacán Mór', was available. Thus, this large butterfly has a blog title.
    This is a separate blog from my work piece which is kinda of a mish-mash of training reports, events and work related musings. I want Papillon or Féileacán Mór to follow my transformation from triathlete to runner (for a season anyway). This will be my training log and race report area free from (most) commercial trappings.
    I'm not, not, being a triathlete, I'm putting it on hold for a while to see what I can be as a runner.
    Going from the darkside to the light, as some might say, well, for 2014 anyway. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭jfh

best of luck with it, just goes to show how much of a philistine i am, they only Papillon i know of was the horse. i had one of my biggest wins on that fella in the Grand national. But butterfly is good too..
    will watch with interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Thanks jfh, works both ways, I didn't know of the horse either :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

BOO. Come back where you belong.. :D

BTH wrote: »
    BOO. Come back where you belong.. :D

Don't worry, its only a flirtation with the Dark Light side.

Don't go telling on me over there either. Caused enough trouble last night as it is :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I want Papillon or Féileacán Mór to follow my transformation from triathlete to runner
    Going from the darkside to the light, as some might say, well, for 2014 anyway. ;)

Are you going to start measuring in miles as well or is that a step too far :D

• Advertisement

digger2d2 wrote: »

Caught myself on Twitter the past few days talking about 'training miles' alright :o

Better watch that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

digger2d2 wrote: »

This is the Light Side, not the 18th century :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Welcome on board, even if you're only flirting with the light side for a brief period! Papillon was one of my first grown-up books too and what an extraordinary read..

So, what are the goals of this chrysalis transformation period?

Welcome on board, even if you're only flirting with the light side for a brief period! Papillon was one of my first grown-up books too and what an extraordinary read..

So, what are the goals of this chrysalis transformation period?

In the past flirting has led to relationships so who knows what might happen for me & running :D

The reasoning behind my decision to run for a year (probably more as I develop goals) is simple. Work and family demands are putting time constraints on me and the amount of time available for training.

Originally I had planned 2014 to 'go long' (triathlete parlance for Ironman distance racing 3.8km swim, 180km bike & 42.2km run) but then we set about opening a second shop this summer in Limerick.

That was the end of that!

I would have been happy enough with my run, happy enough about my bike and the swim will do. But for my swim to become decent I need time to work at it. Time is not my friend in this instance and 'happy enough' doesn't cut it for me..

Best use of my time is to become decent at my running.

It's too early to say what goals are, but suffice to say 2014 will be all about me bettering me.

Where am I at now?

5km 20:46 July 2011
    10km 42:xx Sometime in 2011 (I know, shocking I don't know my times!!)
    21.1km 1:35:05 2013
    42.2km 4:08:35 Dublin Marathon 2011 (2012 was a disaster, read my other blog about it)

I want to be consistent about my running, embrace it more, enjoy it to its full and see where the times go.

I might break the 20min 5k tonight in Limerick, I might not.

The big race is #AmsterdamMarathon on October 20th. 03:14:5x is the goal & training has gone well for it so happy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I knew leaving Dory Dory's running log over on the other side would entice a few of you back to sanity:D

Welcome. Best of luck in Amsterdam. Remember watching the stream of this race back when Keneally ran this race. Looks like a great course and nice tough finishing on the track looks like a fast one to.

• Advertisement

Ha!! Very true, though I think its a path to insanity knowing how addictive I can be about these things.

I don't think I could really pick a flatter course than this for hitting this goal. Just need to stay off the MTB and away from stupid things for the next 4 weeks, arrive in one piece and give it a lash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Just need to stay off the MTB and away from stupid things for the next 4 weeks, arrive in one piece and give it a lash.

I would be worried about the weekend you get there. The sight of all them bikes on the streets around the city may have you as a DNS cycling around the cities of Holland:D

More likely to be found swimming in a canal trying to make a triathlon out of it :D

Big_logo_Analog.jpg
    #Southill5k is the third in a series of races organised by Athletics Limerick at Rathkeale 4m, Analog 6k and Southill 5k.

I got to do the Analog 6k last week and clocked in a time of 25:33 which I was quite happy with as I'd only planned to jog over (4.6k) and back (4.7k!!) and observe the race, pass out flyers and be visible in the yellow & black.

As it turned out I messaged one of the T/D/M guys to see if he was up for a run, between the jigs and reels we ended up racing the event too (I was half minded to do it anyway but had a laugh as the realisation of the race dawned on him), so nice unexpected tempo session at the business end of a high volume week.

Anyway, that 25:33 put me in mind for a sub or close 20ish 5k last night.

Right up until I saw the route.

Leaving work it was only a short 1k trot around to the Southill area. Having to ask directions to the community centre from a couple of kids, to be greeted with "You're the guy from the running shoe" served to remind me that I'm in their territory for a change & better behave myself :D

Anyway down to the centre, met a few familiar faces, nice to be welcomed as part of the scene, I feel like a local already. Bit of chit chat, "I was in earlier", "Any XC spikes" etc and like most times I'm like "how's the form? feeling good?", "you looked good on the road in Charleville" etc.

Very quickly called to the start line, little bit of briefing on the course: "out here, down there, round that, up here, over there, turn there, back here and in there" as always I'm happy enough there'll always be someone in front of me, its the pointy ended boys that have to listen.

Sure enough, GO!! followed by scampering feet to the first left. Out there, cross the road, down the hill, around through the estate (we seemed to provide a break in the usual entertainment on the road) back out over the road and then up! Up was up at the 2k point (I'll link the elevation in later) and I wanted to test the guy who's heels I was on so I said, "you're looking steady" to see his response, judge his breathing, see how deep he was in the hurt.

It took a few seconds but he was "what time you aiming for?", I said "20ish", him "21 and half" and then I dug in to the climb putting a couple of metres into his as we were joined by 'Pat ya eejit' as bystanders seemed to call him. This young lad seemed intent on wooing his audience as he ran in front of me cutting off my feet.

Only for the liklihood of a riot, he'd have got a clip in the ear.

Anyway he blew up after 30m and I pushed on. Over the top, always run over the top of a hill, around to the left and sharp right for a long downward into the wind. This is around the 2.5k - 3k mark and I start to see leaders coming back to me. As we got closer, it was not who I expected at all.

Slightly bemused I clicked off the next lad in front of me before hitting the turn back up what was a long drag with the wind behind (neutralised the effect) and backed myself to stretch out. Pushing on, I passed one more on this stretch before turning left and left again to complete the last of the hill at 4.2k by my watch.

Then came the down hill. Running downhill is not a strong point of mine but I'm getting there, so head up, arms loose, 'fall' down and high cadence.

Bit like the Midnight Oil song, "How do you feel now your Quads are burning?" hit the bottom and finish line fever lifts me ontot he toes and a last push. No idea what time is just that my pace was lifting through the second half and over the line.

Very subdued finish area, and then I found out why.

Most of the front guys went wrong. A marshal was not in the right place, he didn't realise that the race time changed from 7 to 6:45 so quite a few unhappy faces.
    b9ebb2f160183087f98508993b30d852d825c2cf1d5aa4a15394581415a6fa0e.jpg

What it meant for me was the winning time was 20:10 and I finished 6th (4th O40) in 21:58. To put that in perspective for me the winner this week finished 2nd in the Analog 6k with 20:26. That's how hilly the course was.

Take that, thankyou! :)

Updated log to include link to +Polar training file here > Southill 5k

Step 1: Bring AKW to A/R
    Step 2: Get him to wear a Garmin

RayCun wrote: »
    Step 1: Bring AKW to A/R
    Step 2: Get him to wear a Garmin

HA HA!! :D

Truth be told, I've a 620 with HRMrun on backorder, purely for scientific reasons of course :)

My FR305 still gets the odd run out now and again. It really is the Nokia 6210 of the GPS world.

This week past is Week 19 of my #running plan leading up to #AmsterdamMarathon on 20th October.

On of the key sessions was the LPR on Sunday which would see me peaking out at 35k (or 22miles as I was encouraged to consider it) and with a planned week of 108k in total.

Monday:
    Rest day.

Tuesday:
    Planned -
    10mins E pace, 5x30sec strides/30secs easy, 3x(3km T pace + 10secs with 1km E pace recovery) & 5min E warm down

Actual -
    I was only getting into the flow of the workout when a car came up alongside me (running at night on country roads) yet slightly behind and I thought, "I'm in the ditch already, go past!" after another 100m and the car was still there I thought what the heck and glanced over my shoulder to see this fellow hanging out of the window. Looking properly I recognised him as Greg, my go-to massage guy, Sh1te, I forgot he was calling over! He wanted to try / borrow my wetsuit for an open water event at the weekend.

Checking the watch, I told him "800m to go" as my intent was to pause at the end of the first phase, take a lift back and finish on the treadmill.

End of session :(
    Wk19+Tues+-+Summary.png

Wednesday:
    Planned -
    AM - 60mins E pace running, throw in 5x20sec strides
    PM - 40mins E pace running

Actual -
    Terrible nights sleep so awake early and got out on the road to do last nights session over.
    The tired mind & body meant I was not on it properly for the phases, but session done.
    Wk19+Tues+-+Phases.png
    Wk19 Tuesday - Phases
    I knew this meant I was now backed up x2 sessions already this week and couldn't afford to let them slip further. I was reconciling / clutching at straws that the 5.6k of last night would replace the 40min Epace run
    Wk19+Tues+-+Summary+repeat.png
    Wk19 Wednesday - Summary

Thursday:
    Planned -
    10mins E pace, 70mins M pace, 5mins E pace to warm down

Actual -
    Drop the kids to school, back, change and out the door. Leaving a gel & drink on the front pillar I'd a plan of a big loop and a slightly smaller loop to finish.
    Wk19+Thurs+-+Phases.png
    Wk19 Thursday - Phases
    On the money with the pacing, I was happy, relatively comfortable and not to stressed with the effort. We'll have a look at Training Load later.
    Wk19+Thurs+-+Summary.png
    Wk19 Thursday - Summary

Friday:
    Planned -
    60mins E pace running, throw in 5x20sec strides

Actual -
    The last in the #FeetontheStreet series from #AthleticsLimerick and my second local race. With it only around the corner from me in AKLimerick it would have been rude not to do the #Southill5k.

My Race Report is already covered.
    Wk19+Southill5k.png
    Wk19 Southill 5k

Of course, not really being conducive to the training plan, the 5k served to show me where I was re speed work.

Saturday:
    Planned -
    60mins E pace running, throw in 5x20sec strides

Actual -
    Just as it says on the tin. Nice recovery run, legs felt nice and loose after pushing hard last night. Good session, still rubbish sleep on account of the kids. But hey ho!
    Wk19+Sat+-+Summary.png
    Wk 19 Saturday - Summary

Sunday:
    Planned -
    Long run as 5km E pace, 2x(12km M pace, 1km E pace), 2km M pace -10secs, 2km E pace

Actual -
    Meeting my buddy Conor for our first run together in a long while, we decided mentally & physically we could feed off each other on this run even if we were at different paces.

We'd figured a 10k ish loop near Oranmore which was relatively flat rather than the lumpy hills around his place or the sharp draggy pieces around me.
    Wk19+Sunday+LPR+-+phases.png
    Wk 19 Sunday - Phases
    We set up the water station which we'd be passing on each of the three loops. I've been using a combination of +Agave #9 gels and #ElivarSport Endure drink (protein & slow release carbs) and I find they work a treat for me.
    Wk19+Sun+-+Summary.png
    Wk19 Sunday - Summary

Both of us were delighted with the outcome of the session and I think it was mentally a great way to finish a tough week of work, poor sleep and general fatigue. Rolling on to next week I feel like magic, and can't wait to hit taper fortnight to freshen up and loosen out.
    Wk19+Summary+&+Wk20+Plan.png
    Wk19 Summary - Load indicators & looking to Wk20

Over all:
    Planned Week - 107km
    Actual Week - 93km

Physically - some barriers of tiredness to push through
    Mentally - BOOM! :D

Its been a good but rough start to the week.

Looking back now, I'd a red flag on Monday after the stormer of a session on Sunday and should have been more aware of how the fatigue was building on the body. Here's how I was shaping up for Monday - red flag indicating 'Training is not recommended'

Wk19+Summary+%2526+Wk20+Plan.png Wk19 - Training Load indicators

I went out Monday evening and felt great, had a solid session, got lost in it and did a bit more than expected. I'm feeling the rolled up effects of that good session and pretty poor sleep this week and its only Thursday :(

Monday:
    Planned -
    60mins E pace running, throw in 5x20sec strides - 12k

Actual -
    In hindsight I only ran 2k or so further and clipped along 40 sec per km faster than goal pace. I had my music on and felt good so was just rolling with the session nicely. HR was relatively low, I felt good, then.

Wk20+Monday+-+Summary.png Wk20 Monday - Summary

Tuesday:

Planned -
    10mins E pace, 5x30sec strides/30secs easy, 3x(3km T pace + 5secs with 1km E pace recovery) & 5min E warm down - 16k

Actual -
    I seemed to struggle to get going in the first place. Normally I loosen up through the warmup and start to come to life around 3-4 km into a run. It just didn't happen for me this evening.

Tpace is 4:20/km so targets were to have been 4:25/km for the 'Work' and 'Recovery' in the 5:23/km area. As can be seen all of the paces were off by too much. Not an overly hilly loop and it was 2.5 loops so the 'Work' phases shifted around a bit.

Wk20+Tuesday+-+Phases.png Wk20 Tuesday - Phases

I'm blaming my choice of footwear for this and will discuss this again. I had Zero recoil or lift in my feet and really had to work hard on each step. Left drained and sore after the session. Calves tight and all (very unusal for me)
    Wk20+Tuesday+-+Summary.png Wk20 Tuesday - Summary

Wednesday:
    Planned -
    45mins E pace running, throw in 5x20sec strides - 9k

Actual -
    This ended up being a treadmill session. The boss was playing a water polo game at 10pm so after a visit to see a new S&C coach in Limerick I was home to settle our daughter and line up a session on the treadmill.

I think being straight forward tired is the root of the issue this week.

One foot in front of the other, get this done!! I wasn't doing a step further than 45mins for this. Normally I'd be ticking off the full 9k, end of!

Wk20+Wednesday+-+Summary.png Wk20 Wednesday - Summary

Looking at my training load indicators:

Wk20+-+Progress.png Wk20 Training Load indicators

that fatigue is rolling up day on day. I'm not looking forward to my session tonight but I will get it done, click off the rest of the week and then it's taper time!

Planned Week (so far) - 37k
    Actual Week (so far) - 38.42k

Physically - lots of tiredness, restless sleep.
    Mentally - lets just get it done!!

Literally as I write this my buddy messaged me: "That run tonight is the last of the hard stuff"
    Yeah, lets just get it done!!

What plan are you following?

• Advertisement

Its a plan based on my half marathon Vdot.

Designed by one of the runner / triathlete guys its a blend of a couple of different sources. I tried to put my finger on one of them but its like Jack Daniels, Lydiard & Hal Higdon all thrown into a blender :D

I followed similar last year for an attempt at 3:30 and was tipping along well until a MTB incident 2 weeks out. Judging by the way I've responded to the 3:15 plan it seems to be working for me, just need the kids to sleep a bit more and take at least one day off work in the week and I wouldn't slump the way I did the past evenings.

Oh and all I've done is transpose the sessions onto PolarpersonalTrainer.com which synchronises with my watch alerting me to the phases as they come up. I'm not working to HR now but use it to track my training load, HRV and fatigue levels.

So went the email from my coach (jackyback1) in reaction to my last post about being fatigued:
    You got carried away on the Monday session and did not keep it in your pants!! That run along with cumulative fatigue did not help you for the week. Two tough sessions left and then its time to ease off. If you were not tired this week i would be more concerned, work is more or less done, time to put the icing on the cake.
    With that in mind I was aiming to stick to the plan in tonight's session.

I'd a mixed bag of it last week, good first half to the week and then family occasions over the weekend had priority. Rest day Monday and then back at it last night with the first of my tapering sessions.

Almost there!!

The dreaded words every #marathon #runner loves to hear but hates hearing them. Cos you know 'almost there' usually means you're about to hit a hill or you've still 5 miles to go.

No, for sure, I'm almost there.

When I consider that this stage last year I had managed to hobble myself with a stupid mountain bike, I'm almost there.

Tapering this week and next with Amsterdam Marathon on Sunday week I'm really looking forward to it.

Am I ready?

I feel ready, but know that tapering torture is going to have me doubting myself, my training, my coach right up until the moment that gun goes off.

Almost there!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

All the Best Mr.AKW !!
    Do us proud !!

Mr.W

Cheers Mr W, been a tortuous taper but looking forward to hopping on a plane in the morning.

Aer Lingus are going to see what they can do regarding no stairs on arrival back monday :D

best of luck Sean, didn't relise you had a log on here when i bought those sayonaras of ya last week. out of interest, what runners are your doing the marathon?

jfh wrote: »
    best of luck Sean, didn't relise you had a log on here when i bought those sayonaras of ya last week. out of interest, what runners are your doing the marathon?

I try to keep the head down :)

Between the blog(s) I'm probably stretching a bit with a log here, but it'll keep me honest.

Going with my old pair of Mizuno Elixir 7 for the day. I know them, trust them and don't want anything messing with my head!!

Thanks for the wishes.

No excuses, the day didn't go to plan.

But that's what happens to plans. They don't always go. Its your reaction to the situation that decides the outcome.

Sunday didn't go to plan.

There are some simple reasons why. There will be a fair bit of soul searching going on, a reasonable, healthy bit of self doubt, but that's to be expected. I think.

There will be a race report, when I'm not thinking about 'what if?'

For now:
    • I responded brilliantly to the training plan.
    • I finished.
    • I PB'd against my last completed marathon by 29mins.
    • I'm not injured (tired & run down - yes, injured - no)
    • This is only my second marathon.
    Yep they're all positives. What about the negatives? I'll save them for the race report but at the end of the day a negative doesn't exist when you consider the positives :)

• Advertisement

sorry to hear that Sean, but you've got a great base built up for the next one. it'll make it all the more satisfying when it all comes together.

Advertisement