Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Féileacán Mór

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Laid out my plan, I did.

Goal is 40-50k running and 200k cycling for the next 3 weeks and then work from there. Shock the system back into action, kick this ass into gear burn off some excess kg's and crack on.

Monday 7th April
    Treadmill running, nice and steady planned but just to alleviate the drone I threw in a km with a little bit of pace.
    7th+April+Treadmill+plot.jpg
    Not much pace mind you but enought to have me thinking: "Man 4:45 per km and your struggling for 1k!!" The annoying thing sbout using the phone for music is the constant bleat and whistle of Twitter, Facebook and email alerts (Note to self - Airplane Mode in future). Anyway one of the emails was a response to an enquiry to a CMod from earlier in the day which needed an immediate action from me. Hence the step off for a moment.

Run: 8.01km, HRAvg 136bpm, Pace Avg 05:49

Tuesday 8th April
    One of my usual favourite runs in the woods. Two loops reversing for the second loop. Wearing the Hoka Bondi trail / road shoe & my quads are thrashed!! These will take a bit of getting used to, or maybe my runs are just not long enough yet.

Night time run so had the place to myself pretty much and it was lovely.

Run: 12.06km, HRAvg 157bpm, Pace Avg 05:30

Wednesday 9th April
    Turbo time with Tacx.

Using one of the preprogrammed workouts with rolling hills I went for a little over an hour, steady and solid. Missing my bike computer head at the moment so no power info to refer to.
    9th+April+bike+HRM.jpg

Turbo: 33km, HRAvg 141bpm

Good start, now to keep going for the rest of the week. Long day Thursday as working in Limerick and late night shopping on Friday so plan to keep the run / bike / run / bike going through to the weekend.

As always comments or suggestions welcome.

That's all that went through my head as I pushed off from the junction.

Clipping into the pedals, the legs spun and spun and spun. What the heck?! Momentum carried me across the road before realising that it is now time to CLIP OUT!! as the back wheel keeps on turning and you are going nowhere.

8 years of faithful service in cycling and the freehub has finally packed in. Good innings, just not convenient when I'm already pushed for time anyway.

I did Tweet the start of the week about a dead battery being a bad start to the week

And it's haunting me. Good week training, but now a little mini-disaster that will force a change for Sunday.

Thursday 10th April
    Day off as long day driving and working in Limerick. Changing this next week.

Friday 11th April
    Limerick again and while I'd a rough idea to run am and turbo pm, between staff arrangements and travel it meant I would be back in Oranmore for the evening, so #runmute home

Run: 9.6km, HRAvg 151bpm, Pace Avg 05:15

Saturday 12th April
    Aimed to run into that the #Zero25k group but a late wake up left be scrabbling for my bike.
    Positive - meant extra few km on the bike = less pessure on Sunday
    Negative - short on run km so make-up required.

As per intro, plan went to hell in a handbag. Required a pick up and delivery to bring the group out as arranged (30 eager souls ready & 'willing' to run). I'll need a run this evening as out early doors to do a looonnnng cycle on my TT bike.

Run: 3.8km HRAvg 131 bpm, Pace Avg 08:34

Might miss the bike target for the week but solid start & room for improvement next week.

Thanks for reading.

Not a training update but a state of affairs update.

I had a notion at the start of the week and I thought the worst had happened on Saturday morning with the bike mini-disaster.

Not so.

At 7:30 on her way to bed my daughter slipped and smacked the back of her head off the sink. We did all that was advised, iced it, no loss of consciousness, watched her, spoke with her and when she fell asleep naturally an hour later we were somewhat relieved but still worried.

Being woken at 3:40am to be told your daughter vomited is one way to do a super transition. I was fully dressed, in the car, engine running and on the way to the hospital before my two eyes were open.

Blood pressure, ok. Blood oxygen 99%, superb. Alertness, good for a little girl at silly o'clock.

Text to wife, to say Dr. ok but keeping her under observation for 24hours.

Little one napped, I sat vigil until we moved to the ward (got to see London Marathon on the TV) in the morning and mum came in to tag me out so I could take over with the little man at home.

Needless to say training was not a priority as a result of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

Hope your daughter is feeling better now

Thanks for asking, she's 100% but the mother's nerves are shot!!

Home on Monday looking to go skidding around on her Flickr. Chorus of "NO!!!!" from us.

• Advertisement

Bit of time off over the long weekend meant I got stuck into a relatively solid bit of training. It had been a poor week as the roll over from the events of the previous Saturday night (daughter in A&E), van breaking down etc etc disrupted the entire family.

Cut to the chase and get back on track.

Friday 18th April
    Was going out on the bike early but settled for a turbo as I could be at home in case I was needed. Stuck 'The Hobbit Desolation of Smaug" on the laptop and spun my Roveagh to Limerick GPX route. Just solid staedy state stuff hovering around threshold effort.

Turbo: 56.2km, HRAvg 146bpm, Duration 02:26

Saturday 19th April
    Had my #Zero25k run group in Oranmore to take out so time for a little 'Runmute'. Fantastic morning for a run so with a little light toast, nutella & banana (coffee too!!) I was off out the door.

Lap 1 51.12 / 9.56km / HRAvg 148bpm
    Lap 2 - 12 is the Zero25k sessions
    Lap 13 53.29 / 9.49km / HRAvg 150bpm

Arriving back home time for breakfast proper (took a gel just before the run back) and then time to head into work.

Run: 23.03km, HRAvg 146bpm, PaceAvg 05:49/km

Sunday 20th April
    I went out early to lay out the Easter Egg hunt for the kids in Kilcornan Woods. After all the storms there is a huge amount of damage in there with a lot of trees down over each other. It made for a magical glade of discovery for the little ones who really enjoyed themselves.

After that it was out on the MTB for a quick loop to ensure all was in order. It was.
    I also managed to map the planned 5k loop for The School Run in June.

MTB: 10.26km

Monday 21st April
    MTB and run planned. Do a bit on the bike and run off the bike, back on & off a few times.

Body quite sore after the previous days efforts but to be honest I think digging the vegetable garden was the biggest culprit!

I got out nice and early, the woods were fantastic, just me, the trees and nature. As the trails are twisty, technical trails I was never expecting much other than time in and out of the saddle and that's what I got.

Total: 20.98km, HRAvg 129bpm, Duration 02:13 Here's the file.

Then it was back to double digging and cleaning the vegetable garden for 2 hours in the afternoon! Cross training :)

Now I just need to keep the momentum going for the next while.

I said last week I wanted to "keep the momentum going for a while". Well by definition:
    The momentum of an object will never change if it is left alone. If the 'm' value and the 'v' value remain the same, the momentum value will be constant.
    By increasing mass or velocity you can increase the momentum. I want to decrease the mass (body weight) and conserve the momentum so I have to increase the velocity (quanity of training) proportionally.

So

Tuesday 22nd April
    Little light recovery run after helping with putting the kids to bed.

Run: 7.53km, HRAvg 143bpm, PaceAvg 05:41/km

I messed up my morning on Thursday and missed an opportunity to do a session before work. I drove to Limerick & back as I had mixed up where I was working. I'm blaming sleep deprivation :(

Friday 25th April
    Out on the bike. Still missing my Polar CS600x head unit so not getting to do any work to power at all. Out on one of my favourite race preparation courses. I hit the main N6 between Oranmore & Loughrea, a rolling route with a few drags and always a bit of wind!

I hit Loughrea and took off out the link road which is a Club TT route that we use. Of course just as I got into rhythm I could hear the phone ringing in my pocket. It was an expected & important call so I got to mid point and called back.

From here I spinned back home with a nice tailwind :D

TT Bike: 75.31km, HRAvg 152bpm, SpeedAvg 28.8km/h

Saturday 26th April
    Very similar to last week I had my #Zero25k run group in Oranmore to take out so time for a little 'Runmute'. Was up early so got porridge and coffee into me all set with a fantastic morning for a run.

Lap 1: 50.09 / 9.81km / HRAvg 151bpm
    Lap 2 - 10: is the Zero25k sessions
    Lap 12: 52.37 / 9.59km / HRAvg 152bpm

Arriving back home in time for work.

Run: 23.82km, HRAvg 148bpm, PaceAvg 05:36/km

Sunday 27th April
    Early morning text has me out towards Claregalway to meet up with Paul. Delighted to say I found my bike computer so the Power was back on! Plan was time in the saddle but Gibbo had other plans. As mentioned in Training logs elsewhere, his easy and everyone else's easy are two entirely different things.

It was a great morning, just the right side of chilly with plenty of sunshine and hills.

TT Bike: 92.9km, HRAvg 142bpm, SpeedAvg 26.8km/h, PowerAvg 197

Good week all told. Even squeezed my first swim of the year in during a wetsuit demo. It'll be grand :)

35km run total, 185km bike total for the week.

We have momentum!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

AKW wrote: »
    but Gibbo had other plans. As mentioned in Training logs elsewhere, his easy and everyone else's easy are two entirely different things.

Between you and CW, people round here are gonna think P is some kind of Liam Dolan/bryan mccrystal hybrid.

BTH wrote: »
    Between you and CW, people round here are gonna think P is some kind of Liam Dolan/bryan mccrystal hybrid.

Nah, more the fact that he is 20kg lighter than me so his easy is a little tougher on us bigger lads. :)

Right, looks like this season is lining up nicely for the long stuff.

Lough Cutra Triathlon this weekend - half iron distance race & likely to be my only triathlon this year.
    Endure 24 - doing this as a mini-team event with Mrs AKW and MCOS (team mate from The Beast) in June
    Race to Kinvara - 2 day relay event Dublin to Kilkenny and Ennistimon to Kinvara on in July
    The Beast of Ballyhoura - 40 hour event in August
    Amsterdam Marathon - October. My 2nd year at it and sub 3:15 is the training ( and race day ) goal.

Along the way I hope to be pacing various races around the West and building solid base miles whilst chopping away at the body weight.

• Advertisement
Advertisement