Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blisters

Options
  • 26-09-2013 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭

17 month old has 4-5 v.nasty looking blisters under his bottom lip from drooling from some pretty bad teething at the moment (note to self I must put his beads back on :O!).
    I've tried limiting his soother as much as possible but they don't seem to be inproving.
    Any suggestions on any ways to get rids of them??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Just a quick pic of the blisters in question

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I use fucidin cream when our fella gets very bad skin around his mouth. I live in fear of him getting impetigo again so I use it as soon as I see anything which may be an open sore.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

vaseline might act as a barrier or ask the PHN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Ouch... poor little thing.

No advice, I know when my little one used to get a rash on her neck I was told to keep it dry rather than use a cream to get rid of it... Caldescene powder helped a lot but not sure how you could use that on his chin...

As always Ms 2011, I'd probably take him to the doc if it gets much worse. Lets try not to be giving medical advice.

Doctor's appointment made, seems it may well be impetigo. I'm not going to put anything onto until I take him to the doctor for fear of making it worse.
    Thanks for replies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Doctor's appointment made, seems it may well be impetigo. I'm not going to put anything onto until I take him to the doctor for fear of making it worse.
    Thanks for replies!

I had these when I was about 5 or 6. Had a terrible habit of licking my own chin :( the only thing that cleared then fully was coal tar soap. Not sure of you could use it on a toddler but id imagine you could

yellow hen wrote: »
    I had these when I was about 5 or 6. Had a terrible habit of licking my own chin :( the only thing that cleared then fully was coal tar soap. Not sure of you could use it on a toddler but id imagine you could

Thanks, gonna see what the doc says tomorrow just in case, I don't want to make it any worse, feel guilty enough as it is as I though the blisters were just from drooling.
    He hasn't been eating great either & someone was saying they can get a sore throat along with the blisters which would make sense as all he's been eating since yesterday is milky Wheatabix & yoghurts, I thought his mouth was sore from teething :O

Just back from the docs, it's actually the cold sore virus causing the blisters & they got infected, little man also has a sore throat so he's on an antibiotic & a cream for the blisters.
    Have to go back to sterilising his soothers for the time being so as not to re-infect the blisters.
    So quick to blame everything on teething, will know better in the future!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Ms2011 wrote: »
    Just back from the docs, it's actually the cold sore virus causing the blisters & they got infected, little man also has a sore throat so he's on an antibiotic & a cream for the blisters.
    Have to go back to sterilising his soothers for the time being so as not to re-infect the blisters.
    So quick to blame everything on teething, will know better in the future!!!

I was going to say it looks like the herpes simplex virus....

Did the doc prescribe anything for it? Or is acyclovir (what we use) contraindicated in babies/children that young? Vitamin c in oranges can be great for the virus. Hope your little fella is ok. It looks very sore :(

Edit: ah sorry just re-read your post there and say you got a prescription :)

Advertisement