Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help deciding on a bike

• 26-09-2013 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

Since I've now passed my bike test, I am thinking of changing to a sport bike. Currently have a lovely z750, I really love it but at the same time want to try something else.

I was originally thinking r6/gsxr600/zx6r etc, but my mate was asking my opinion on a daytona675r which I hadn't really thought about before, and it looks lovely and has got great reviews. I'm not looking at any 1000cc sports bikes as I just wouldn't trust myself on one.

At the same time I also like the look the ktm's .. the 690 superduke and also the 990.

This is all just based on looks, haven't got the chance to ride any ktm or sports bikes and probably won't.

I'm basically looking for something that will put a smile on my face.

Anyone here owned any of the bikes I mentioned, what are they like to live with?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

Fazer 1000 or the newer shape FZ1. I had a 2008 FZ1 as my last bike regret selling it more than any other bike I have owned. Don't get me wrong I love my Ducati but the Yamaha did everything brilliantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Have a look at the Street Triple too....great bike by all accounts. What about a GSXR750, if I was getting a sportsbike thats what I would have. That or the 675R, no harm taking a spin up to Antrim to Phillip McCallens very nice shop and pleasure to deal with and you can test ride any bike no probs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I recently had a KTM 990 Adventure for about a month. Most fun I've ever had on a bike.

Just throwing it out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Yep heard great things about the street triple but want to try something very different from what I have. I really like the look of the r6 ..as sports bikes go..is it one of the more uncomfortable ones? My upper back isn't great but most of my time on bikes are short spins and commuting . I'm guessing all the 600 sports bikes inc the 675r are about as comfortable as each other? I had an aprillia rs125 when I was younger and don't remember any comfort issues..

Yep I'm still open to a KTM but think the superduke looks best...am leaning more towards a sports bike tho ..don't know what it is about them !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

What about a gsxr 750?

• Advertisement

RosieJoe wrote: »
    What about a gsxr 750?
    Yes I'd be certainly open to one of them if I could fid a nice example.

It seems hard to find a nice 600 but there are a few 1000cc sport bikes around..I'm thinking if I saw a good deal on a clean 1000 should I think about it? I'd regard myself as a novice and I'd just be worried I'd kill myself, but is a 1000 going to be much more dangerous than a 600?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

I reckon theres a certain sense of in 'for a penny' with sports bikes tbh. Probably slightly more likely to loop yerself on a 1000cc vs a 600, but danger is certainly there with both. Could be argued that you might be more careful on a 1000cc knowing that its is a caged animal but ymmv..

Ive a street triple and a zx6 (636), and sorta miss the torque on the zx in and around town. I can launch the Street alot easier at traffic lights (though that could just be me). Initially I was a bit underwhelmed by the ninja - thinking, geez, this yoke is a bit gutless (compared to the street, which pulls from like 0 rpm). But eh, all hell sorta breaks loose ~10k rpm, but its something you dont really hit on your morning commute - me at least ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

cojomo2 wrote: »

It seems hard to find a nice 600 but there are a few 1000cc sport bikes around..I'm thinking if I saw a good deal on a clean 1000 should I think about it? I'd regard myself as a novice and I'd just be worried I'd kill myself, but is a 1000 going to be much more dangerous than a 600?

i am seling this honda fireblade 954 model which is more like a 600 physically, and not as mental as some of the 1000s, good alternative to a gsxr750, and the finish is good on these. only 13500 miles......bike is very clean. full ad on adverts.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

cojomo2 wrote: »

Try up north for a 750. All reviews say it has the lightness of the 600 and the pull of a 1000 making it the best of both worlds. It'd be one I'd go for if I could.

GSXR750 all the way if you want the best of both worlds. So many lovely examples around too, black and gold being my favourite.

• Advertisement

fatbast wrote: »
    i am seling this honda fireblade 954 model which is more like a 600 physically, and not as mental as some of the 1000s, good alternative to a gsxr750, and the finish is good on these. only 13500 miles......bike is very clean. full ad on adverts.ie

crackin bike as usual fatbast - that'd be certainly one to consider. The 954 is very highly regarded, pretty comfy too I hear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

fatbast wrote: »

I may ride a Harley, but that FB is gorgeous :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Kenz

Cojomo2 - I know, I know... it's a boring stupid sensible question to ask, but how old are you... and how many no claims do you have? Have you checked with your insurance company to get an idea of what you'll be paying for insurance on a "sports" type bike? It used to be a big jump in money the last time I checked when you were going from a street type bike to a sports type machine. You wouldn't want to get your hopes/dreams up and then have the nasty insurance company smash them (been there, done that, gsxr6, sad story, she could have been mine, etc). :O(

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭hunter23

Bmw s1000rr....its a dream....not for the faint hearted though.....i have come up through the ranks on all sizes....my guess would be a gsxr 750...or a r6....
    just my thoughts....

hunter23 wrote: »
    Bmw s1000rr....its a dream.......

With more buttons than Cadburys......:pac::pac::pac::pac:

;)

ahhh.....wouldnt worry about any buttons.....she in race mode all the time.....just concentrated on the road aheadbiggrin.png

Kenz wrote: »
    Cojomo2 - I know, I know... it's a boring stupid sensible question to ask, but how old are you... and how many no claims do you have? Have you checked with your insurance company to get an idea of what you'll be paying for insurance on a "sports" type bike? It used to be a big jump in money the last time I checked when you were going from a street type bike to a sports type machine. You wouldn't want to get your hopes/dreams up and then have the nasty insurance company smash them (been there, done that, gsxr6, sad story, she could have been mine, etc). :O(
    Hi, yep I've checked i out, not much difference to what I'm paying on the z at the moment as I have recently passed my test. I have zero ncb now - I had 3 yrs from 125cc bikes when I was a kid but that is no longer taken into account as it's been over 3 years.

@hunter,yeah I absolutely love the look of the r6 but from what I have read it's a bit useless for street use/commuting? The gsxr 750 is nice too, just wondering if it would be more sensible to go for a gsxr600 first? I really don't have a clue- the only sports bike I've ridden was over 10 yrs ago, an rs125! I have by no means grown out of my current z750, I am still very much a novice and have a lot to still learn, but have always had a soft spot for a proper sports bike, and since I just passed my test, now is the first time I can get insured on one so I'm itching to change.

hi cojomo2
    its a hard one to call..the gsxr 600 is also nice....never had one...but did get a few spins....most of these sports bikes are hard on the wrists and get very hot in around town....my advice if you can....try a get a spin on one before you commit....as mentioned earlier a fazer 1000 could be an option? i use an XJR in around town, its easy to drive etc. to bring the sports bike in on a regular basis wouldn't be my preferred option...as its 1000 its hard to hold back on it....i hope i can shed some light on this or i probably have confused you more...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭gunning84

If your thinking 600 try get a spin on a cbr600rr, their a cracking bike in my opinion. I have a 08 one for the last few years and it never missed a beat. I have it for sale but wouldn't mind keeping it as a second bike either, hard to let it go!

Maybe look into a sports tourer? They are every bit as fast as a sports bike with comfort and practicality thrown in too. Seating position is more or less the same depending on the bike.....Blu30rion off here got a savage Honda Blackbird for very little money and its spotless goes like Gary Glitter in Thailand too!

If its a 2nd bike you are getting then go for a pure hooligan ride....if its an everyday bike then think with the head not with the heart.

• Advertisement

opinions on this one?
    http://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/suzuki-gsxr-750-k7-mint/5779837

whats the craic with the bazzaz fuel injector thing, would this make insurance more expensive, and does it mean the bike has more likely seen more track use?
    Cheers

exhaust + bazazz would make insurance more alright (performance mods)

bazazz dont make more likely to be tracked any more then a powercommander would really imo. Lack of mirrors on the other hand... :p Lack of license plate would make me think its not on an irish bike either, so keep in mind. Be a bit of work de-stickering too :p make sure they're not hiding anything..

oh, and its just the bazzaz fuel module, no automapper, quickshifter or traction control. Not taking away from it, but when people rave about bazzaz stuff, its usually the complete works kit they're reviewing (1000e++)

Cheers ..can't believe I didn't notice the lack of mirrors!

Theres one more here:
    http://for the he first time ww.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/gsxr-750-2007-for-sale/5575238

Does 5000 km over nearly 7 years seem suspicious or am I just over thinking things !?

Another thing..if I buy a brand new bike now, don't register it as it will be a track only bike, and then in 3 yrs time decide to convert it to a road bike and register it for the first time , will it get a 131 reg or a 161 reg?

5k over 7yrs is very low alright, but could be a genuine reason for it (weekend only bike, or only used on track, or impulse buy and had a scare etc). Be unusual to spoof such a low mileage too, as the rest of the bike would give away it having more - as you say, you're already suspicious at it being that low. Be expecting shiny shiny downpipes, original tyres (check dates on em), perfect bolts and fixings through out etc etc

Dunno about your other query, but I'd imagine a 131/132 reg (as date of purchase would be easily found). Also a track only bike will have easily discernible features that would betray its track origins - valuing it alot less then a road only 131/132.

Had a look at a few gsxrs over the weekend. I saw a 2011 reg gsxr1000, looked pristine but noticed it was actually a k7 model from around 2008. Very low miles also. Not sure what to make of it..

Also saw a couple of low miles 600 gsxrs, very nice.. but am still confused as to whether I should go for the 600/750/1000. Im thinking the 750 but have yet to see a nice one.. I'm thinking the 600 wouldn't me much of an upgrade powerwise from my z750 and that I am too much of a novice for the 1000...although I have read that the 1000 is the best choice if the bike will be a full time road bike...confused!:confused:

Advertisement