Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineers report

Options
  • 26-09-2013 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi
    thinking of buying a vintage 1976 merc 508d campervan. I'm wondering if Dolmen need an engeineers report or would just a DOE do the job?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭holyhutzpa

As far as I remember, Dolmen did require an engineer's report even when there is a recent DOE - especially when the campervan is a bit older. Best to give them a call though...
    I love the old Mercedeses - have you your eyes on anything in particular?

Engineers report.

Watch out for the gearbox, the synchro on second on those is notoriously bad. €500 for a recond.'d box, I wouldn't let it stop me but you could negotiate a lower price if you cop it.
    Also check rear wheel arches along all the leaf spring sills and front under the water bottle and same on passenger side for rust; these are usually the first to go. '76 might be galvanised though so rust won't be a problem.
    Mpg in the hi teens low 20's though and slow at that.
    Bulletproof chain driven engine all the same. Good hunting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Worth checking rear diff too - can whine like crazy after a couple of hundred miles you're head will be ringing in unison.

Ever hear that bananas in the diff. "sort" that out? Any truth in it?

I can get ya a rear axle any day of the week. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

Dolmen hasn't asked me for an engineers report on a 92 motorhome, though I have not entirely finished all the paper work yet, so I guess they still could.

• Advertisement

wrote:
    Conversions if Camper Van is converted, the following information has to forwarded with the completed proposal form before we can provide cover;

Definition of A Camper The camper should contain a table, sleeping accommodation, cooking facilities and storage facilities where the equipment shall be rigidly fixed to the living compartment (with the exception of the table which may be designed to be easily removable). There must be an internal height not less then 1.8 metres.

Engineers Report....

http://www.dolmen-insurance.ie/services/camper.htm

I'd go for the 510D myself and with power-steering or at least I'd fit it. You'll miss those 20 extra horses with that weight and the double axle.

That engine is happy to run on veg. oil 50% without modifications. Not a thing I would attempt though unless I was willing to flush the fuel system and de-coke the cylinders every once in a blue moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Ever hear that bananas in the diff. "sort" that out? Any truth in it?

I can get ya a rear axle any day of the week. ;)

Lol my dad put slick 50 in his and it went on for another 40k miles before he lost the plot and replaced it. To be honest with the size of the gears in there I think it could whine on for another million miles without falling apart but it sure was annoying. He would have replaced it sooner except it was impossible to find a better one.

+1 on the power steering, tis a laborious lump without it and you'd nearly snap your wrist mounting a kerb or hitting a pothole.

I know a man in Cork has 5 rear axles in his back yard. I traded him a cranky gearbox for one....still haven't gotten around to collecting it. whistling.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Ray13

When an insurance company say engineers report they mean you need to contact a motor assessor, look in google there are loads. It the car or camper was previously written off contact a motor assessor who will provide you with the correct info and report. Most motor assessors will give you a free phone consultation about your requirements

• Advertisement
Advertisement