Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graduate Diploma in Education (Primary Teaching) -- advice for a keen graduate

Options
  • 26-09-2013 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I appreciate that this subject has been raised many times and I understand that the opportunities and conditions for newly qualified primary schoolteachers are no longer as good asthey once were – please put up with the ramblings of a man keen on getting involved!

I did my Leaving Cert in 2008: I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I decided to pursue those subjects that interested me at school at the time – history, geography, and languages – and I ended up graduating with a 1.1 in European Studies and German. I moved to Germany afterwards, studied for a year and worked as a language assistant in asecondary school (ages 10-18) for another. Now I’m home and I can’t rid myself of the want to become a schoolteacher at primary level.

What do you think? I have absolutely no interest in chasing my former goals of working in foreign relations or translation, while the thought of donning a suit each day and sitting behind the desk of some multinational company sounds worse than one ofmy summer jobs as a kitchen porter!

I’m 24, the years of plenty at college are over, and so it’s time to start getting a little serious about life (a little).

Given my studies, the route to second-level teaching strikes me as more logical and manageable, i.e. complete the two-year Professional Diploma in Education and teach German and history, knowledge which I spent nearly four years developing. But I prefer working with younger children.

Am I mad, then, to want to get into primary teaching?

Especially… when I didn’t do Higher Level Irish for the Leaving Cert, I don’t play a musical instrument, and I wouldn’t be the most sports-minded individual going (I hate GAA...but up the Rebels next Saturday:D). These three things – particularly the Irish – are sticking points, but none of them is impossible: I’m already a keen runner and a member of the local athletics club and I can start learning an instrument (no time like the present!). There are options, e.g. repeating the Leaving in Irish or completing a part-time Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge, to remedy the Irish requirement (questions on that shortly!).

On the upside, I’m involved in the local theatre society and I’m fairly good with a paintbrush (I got an A1 at HL Art after all), which go a long way in satisfying the arts education component of the curriculum. And I genuinely think I would be a good teacher – and I don’tthink I’m blowing my own trumpet by saying that.

So my options are:

· Firstly: re-sit Irish at Higher Level (1 year-ish) or complete the diploma (2 years)

· Secondly: re-apply to the CAO for the Bachelor of Education (4 years) or apply for the Graduate Diploma in Education (2 years)

Re-taking Irish at Higher Levelsounds more appealing (it’s certainly quicker) but achieving the required minimum of a C3 doesn’t necessarily equate to proficiency. In that case, would the diploma give me a better grounding (I haven’t spoken Irish in 5 years)? I want to meet the basic requirements as soon as possible (I’m sorted regarding maths and English) so I can get going – I’m pushing on at this stage!

I’ve already spent 4 years at university – I don’t know whether I could face another 4 years, let alone the expense of the undergraduate programme. Then again, I’ve heard that the Graduate Diploma is notoriously difficult to get into (including the Hibernia option).

Do you have any thoughts and or words of advice for me? At this stage, I would appreciate anything.

Getting accepted into the undergraduate programme seems easier, i.e. get the C3 in HL Irish (I have plenty of points to spare), but the thought of graduating at 29 with no prospect of permanent employment is intimidating.

If I were to apply for theGraduate Diploma, provided I sorted the Irish, how could I increase my chances of being accepted, of “bulking up” my application so to speak?

I realise it’s paramount that I volunteer at some local national schools and get in as many hours/days of observation as I can. I assume you need to be Garda vetted before “working” in a school – how does one go about that? What is the story with subbing? I know so many recent B.Ed. graduates who can’t find full-time employment, so it seems unfair for someone with absolutely zero expertise in the area of education to get substitute work, if it’s even allowed. Would it help towards my application if I were to get some sub work at second level? I have a good relationship with the language teachers in my old school, one of whom I bumped into recently and she told me to drop in my CV if I wanted some experience…but is that counterproductive to becoming a primary teacher?

Please excuse the length of this post. As I can’t shake the idea of being a primary teacher, I’ve been thinking about (and researching) it a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Have you considered trying England or Wales?

There are plenty of jobs over here. The paperwork is intense but, if you're in a good school, you'll get a lot help with it.

MFL (Modern Foreign Languages) is becoming a curriculum requirement from next year onwards in England. I don't think many schools would do German but you seem to have a talent with languages.

Don't rule it out. I think the training over here is better than that in Ireland, but that's just me and I am biased.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭loubian

imdamnme wrote: »
    I appreciate that this subject has been raised many times and I understand that the opportunities and conditions for newly qualified primary schoolteachers are no longer as good asthey once were – please put up with the ramblings of a man keen on getting involved!

I did my Leaving Cert in 2008: I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I decided to pursue those subjects that interested me at school at the time – history, geography, and languages – and I ended up graduating with a 1.1 in European Studies and German. I moved to Germany afterwards, studied for a year and worked as a language assistant in asecondary school (ages 10-18) for another. Now I’m home and I can’t rid myself of the want to become a schoolteacher at primary level.

What do you think? I have absolutely no interest in chasing my former goals of working in foreign relations or translation, while the thought of donning a suit each day and sitting behind the desk of some multinational company sounds worse than one ofmy summer jobs as a kitchen porter!

I’m 24, the years of plenty at college are over, and so it’s time to start getting a little serious about life (a little).

Given my studies, the route to second-level teaching strikes me as more logical and manageable, i.e. complete the two-year Professional Diploma in Education and teach German and history, knowledge which I spent nearly four years developing. But I prefer working with younger children.

Am I mad, then, to want to get into primary teaching?

Especially… when I didn’t do Higher Level Irish for the Leaving Cert, I don’t play a musical instrument, and I wouldn’t be the most sports-minded individual going (I hate GAA...but up the Rebels next Saturday:D). These three things – particularly the Irish – are sticking points, but none of them is impossible: I’m already a keen runner and a member of the local athletics club and I can start learning an instrument (no time like the present!). There are options, e.g. repeating the Leaving in Irish or completing a part-time Dioplóma sa Ghaeilge, to remedy the Irish requirement (questions on that shortly!).

On the upside, I’m involved in the local theatre society and I’m fairly good with a paintbrush (I got an A1 at HL Art after all), which go a long way in satisfying the arts education component of the curriculum. And I genuinely think I would be a good teacher – and I don’tthink I’m blowing my own trumpet by saying that.

So my options are:

· Firstly: re-sit Irish at Higher Level (1 year-ish) or complete the diploma (2 years)

· Secondly: re-apply to the CAO for the Bachelor of Education (4 years) or apply for the Graduate Diploma in Education (2 years)

Re-taking Irish at Higher Levelsounds more appealing (it’s certainly quicker) but achieving the required minimum of a C3 doesn’t necessarily equate to proficiency. In that case, would the diploma give me a better grounding (I haven’t spoken Irish in 5 years)? I want to meet the basic requirements as soon as possible (I’m sorted regarding maths and English) so I can get going – I’m pushing on at this stage!

I’ve already spent 4 years at university – I don’t know whether I could face another 4 years, let alone the expense of the undergraduate programme. Then again, I’ve heard that the Graduate Diploma is notoriously difficult to get into (including the Hibernia option).

Do you have any thoughts and or words of advice for me? At this stage, I would appreciate anything.

Getting accepted into the undergraduate programme seems easier, i.e. get the C3 in HL Irish (I have plenty of points to spare), but the thought of graduating at 29 with no prospect of permanent employment is intimidating.

If I were to apply for theGraduate Diploma, provided I sorted the Irish, how could I increase my chances of being accepted, of “bulking up” my application so to speak?

I realise it’s paramount that I volunteer at some local national schools and get in as many hours/days of observation as I can. I assume you need to be Garda vetted before “working” in a school – how does one go about that? What is the story with subbing? I know so many recent B.Ed. graduates who can’t find full-time employment, so it seems unfair for someone with absolutely zero expertise in the area of education to get substitute work, if it’s even allowed. Would it help towards my application if I were to get some sub work at second level? I have a good relationship with the language teachers in my old school, one of whom I bumped into recently and she told me to drop in my CV if I wanted some experience…but is that counterproductive to becoming a primary teacher?

Please excuse the length of this post. As I can’t shake the idea of being a primary teacher, I’ve been thinking about (and researching) it a lot!

I'm the same as you OP. Did my leaving in 2007, did a 4 year degree in audio and film technology, got a job in accountancy and want to go into teaching. I don't feel passionate about my degree subjects to pursue a career in it n I don't want to be in accountancy forever. I've always wanted to be a teacher, the only thing that held me back from applying was my fear of not knowing enough irish I'm going to start lessons, n my friend is fluent, so hopefully I will learn enough to get accepted into the course. Good luck with your application :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22 dazag

Your young, you have plenty of time to study. Don't forget once qualified you could be teaching in the same job for more than 30 years.

I returned to college to study the hip through Hibernia. Tough course not impossible but def not a part time course. I spent approx 20-25 hours a week online, studying and doing assessments not including the 7 hours on a sat at onsites.

You have a 1.1 degree, your used to studying and your obviously a good student.

The Irish!!!!!! Yes it's difficult to get your head around learning it all over again but please believe me the thoughts of doing it are 10 times more difficult than doing it. I had honours Irish but hadn't used it in years. I spent 6 months doing grinds, listening to tg4 etc and passed the interview 1st time. Seriously you can do it.

I would repeat the Irish next June, apply for hdip programmes in all colleges accessible to you including Hibernia.

Where are you based? There will be loads of Irish support classes and groups for you to join ..

Seriously great career and you sound like it's your vocation.

Please nobody comment about the lack of jobs - we are born teachers and will be one of the good ones who will be headhunter and valued,

• Registered Users Posts: 4 imdamnme

Have you considered trying England or Wales?

There are plenty of jobs over here. The paperwork is intense but, if you're in a good school, you'll get a lot help with it.

MFL (Modern Foreign Languages) is becoming a curriculum requirement from next year onwards in England. I don't think many schools would do German but you seem to have a talent with languages.

Don't rule it out. I think the training over here is better than that in Ireland, but that's just me and I am biased.

I always wanted to live abroad, and I did that in Germany. I mean no disrespect but England -- from an Irishman's perspective -- is just a lesser Ireland :) The more important question here is: if I wanted to teach in Ireland, is there much point in studying abroad?

loubian wrote: »
    I'm the same as you OP. Did my leaving in 2007, did a 4 year degree in audio and film technology, got a job in accountancy and want to go into teaching. I don't feel passionate about my degree subjects to pursue a career in it n I don't want to be in accountancy forever. I've always wanted to be a teacher, the only thing that held me back from applying was my fear of not knowing enough irish I'm going to start lessons, n my friend is fluent, so hopefully I will learn enough to get accepted into the course. Good luck with your application :)

Good luck with yours, too!

• Advertisement

dazag wrote: »
    Your young, you have plenty of time to study. Don't forget once qualified you could be teaching in the same job for more than 30 years.

I returned to college to study the hip through Hibernia. Tough course not impossible but def not a part time course. I spent approx 20-25 hours a week online, studying and doing assessments not including the 7 hours on a sat at onsites.

You have a 1.1 degree, your used to studying and your obviously a good student.

The Irish!!!!!! Yes it's difficult to get your head around learning it all over again but please believe me the thoughts of doing it are 10 times more difficult than doing it. I had honours Irish but hadn't used it in years. I spent 6 months doing grinds, listening to tg4 etc and passed the interview 1st time. Seriously you can do it.

I would repeat the Irish next June, apply for hdip programmes in all colleges accessible to you including Hibernia.

Where are you based? There will be loads of Irish support classes and groups for you to join ..

Seriously great career and you sound like it's your vocation.

Please nobody comment about the lack of jobs - we are born teachers and will be one of the good ones who will be headhunter and valued,

That's a fair point re: working the same job for 30 years -- makes me feel like facing into another bout of studying this late isn't so bad!

While you were doing the HDip at Hibernia, were you working full-time as well? I'm curious about what people do during their days when on the Hibernia course -- work relevant to teaching or unrelated work to pay the fees?

You're completely right... the thought of starting to learn Irish all over again is petrifying! I was a languages student... I should be able to do this :D

What's the Irish part of the interview like? Is the content advanced/LC standard?

Based in West Cork. I should start looking out for grinds and refresher courses. Fun times :)

Thanks for the reply -- I appreciate it, and it does sound like a great career :)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭VONSHIRACH

I am not a teacher. I think if you would prefer to teach kids at primary level rather than at secondary level, then follow your heart, do whatever course is necessary, and don't worry if you have to go abroad to either study or work to achieve this. From blogs, media etc it seems to be very difficult for teaching graduates to get jobs here unless you are well connected at parish level.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

imdamnme wrote: »
    I always wanted to live abroad, and I did that in Germany. I mean no disrespect but England -- from an Irishman's perspective -- is just a lesser Ireland :) The more important question here is: if I wanted to teach in Ireland, is there much point in studying abroad?

Fair enough.

There is a point if you want to get a job straight away. I have a friend who was offered a job in April, one week into a 10 week placement. All he had to do was pass the next few observations and he was sorted.

Then there's the fact that you might learn new ways of doing things by working in England. It's good to broaden your horizon and experience new things.

Apply for the Catholic schools, do your preparation and you'll walk into a job. I applied for some jobs to which only another 3/4 max. people applied as well. I didn't get it due to my inexperience of interviews and lack of knowledge of certain parts of the English curriculum. It's a totally different market over here though. Get in while the goings good.

Advertisement