Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westport cinema closed

Options
  • 26-09-2013 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Just saw it on facebook that the cinema is closed. Pity.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

Ya I heard that. It is a pity as it was a really nice cinema. The one in Castlebar could do with some work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Great timing....just after the Ballina one announces it is to reopen. Now we have to debate how poor Mayo movie world is. :mad:

I guess the campaign to start the campaign to get it to reopen begins now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

Is it really closed? I heard they were updating their equipment. It's a venue for the Arts festival next week according to the programme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

Message on it's website: "Westport Cineplex is closed until further notice".

http://www.westportcineplex.ie/

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I got a text from the film club the other day saying there showing a movie. Maybe they've changed venues?

Was wondering why I wasn't seeing listing on entertainment.ie anymore. Real shame if it's permanent, much nicer than castlebar where you can barely see over the seat on front of you even if it's empty. Was generally dead most of the time I went there though so not entirely surprised.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

I got a text from the film club the other day saying there showing a movie. Maybe they've changed venues?

Was wondering why I wasn't seeing listing on entertainment.ie anymore. Real shame if it's permanent, much nicer than castlebar where you can barely see over the seat on front of you even if it's empty. Was generally dead most of the time I went there though so not entirely surprised.

Also the selection there wasn't great. Castlebar would usually have all the new movies first. That didn't help.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

martyoo wrote: »
    Also the selection there wasn't great. Castlebar would usually have all the new movies first. That didn't help.

They always had the big releases straight away but some smaller films, like Alan Partridge for example weren't screened there. That's the downside of only having 3 screens and no 3D, although the lack of 3D was another reason I tended to go there over castlebar when I had the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Sorry to hear it.

The Hoban family made a big effort there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Mickeroo wrote: »
    They always had the big releases straight away but some smaller films, like Alan Partridge for example weren't screened there.
    martyoo wrote: »

Probably because it hasn't been converted to digital projectors - they're still projecting 35mm film. It's much costlier, resulting in fewer and fewer movies being made available in that format.

Mickeroo wrote: »

No, the film is being shown tonight in the cinema, which will be reopened for the evening, last chance to see a film here for the foreseeable future.

"Summer in February": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2184287/?ref_=sr_1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

confirmed on the website, closed until further notice.

http://www.westportcineplex.ie/now-showing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 mayotourism

Come to Ballina. It has the best Cinema in Mayo at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Mr Cumulonimbus

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

Castlebar cinema wiped it out all best movies and more screens in castlebar , no 3d in westport, better shop in cbar.
    Castlebar cinema looks bad outside but all the screens are done up inside and its actually a great cinema in terms of technology.
    http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=18672:uncertain-future-for-westport-cinema&catid=23:news&Itemid=46
    Was originally closed for works but now fully closed. Big buisnesses in cbar wiping these places out. It was just too small.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭davenachill

That's a shame! Was a handy cinema indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Castlebar cinema wiped it out all best movies and more screens in castlebar , no 3d in westport, better shop in cbar.
    Castlebar cinema looks bad outside but all the screens are done up inside and its actually a great cinema in terms of technology.
    http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=18672:uncertain-future-for-westport-cinema&catid=23:news&Itemid=46
    Was originally closed for works but now fully closed. Big buisnesses in cbar wiping these places out. It was just too small.

Except for screen one. Castlebar cinema is terrible. The seats are uncomfortable, the slope is too shallow resulting in small children even being in your view and tye sound is useless on the smaller screens. Not to mention you can hear the film on next door and when it's raining heavy it makes quite a racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Castlebar12

etxp wrote: »
    Except for screen one. Castlebar cinema is terrible. The seats are uncomfortable, the slope is too shallow resulting in small children even being in your view and tye sound is useless on the smaller screens. Not to mention you can hear the film on next door and when it's raining heavy it makes quite a racket.

Then why is it the only cinema in Mayo that didnt close?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Then why is it the only cinema in Mayo that didnt close?

Because it's central. It takes a vast area in. I would rather go to a bad cinema than no cinema at all. Lots of towns close to it. Claremorris/balla/Newport now Westport. Castlebar itself is probably the largest town in mayo. It hasn't stayed open because it's good, it has stayed open because people will rather travel 20 minutes to an average cinema than an hour or so to a good cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭osprey

It costs thousands for a licence to order in one movie for public broadcast, Westport cinema came too late in light of how pretty much everybody either streams or torrents movies. It is a shame that the Castlebar cinema is such a dump of a place as an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Was only ever at the westport cinema twice, both were a Sunday night and both were a 9.30 pm show and on both occasions they had no popcorn left and had shut down the drinks machine. Bad form imo, never went back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Not having 3D was a pain in the arse for some but the selection at Westport in terms of being able to afford to get in the big titles on release week is what let it down. Which is a pity cause Westport cinema was infinitely more pleasant and the screens were definitely better than the one in Castlebar. Problem is just the size of the market I guess. The Westport film club made good use of the place as well and had good crowds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Ah no such a pity the cinema in Westport closed down. We go to Westport every year for a few nights and always enjoyed catching a movie there, it was a really nice cinema and the staff were always lovely.

Where is the next nearest, Castlebar? How much of a drive is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

magentas wrote: »
    Ah no such a pity the cinema in Westport closed down. We go to Westport every year for a few nights and always enjoyed catching a movie there, it was a really nice cinema and the staff were always lovely.

Where is the next nearest, Castlebar? How much of a drive is it?

Castlebar is only 10 miles away from Westport, but its not a great cinema at all, as some previous posts state.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

corsav6 wrote: »
    Castlebar is only 10 miles away from Westport, but its not a great cinema at all, as some previous posts state.

Thanks corsav, it won't be a drinking holiday this year as I'm expecting so think it'll be worth the short drive to kill a few hours one of the nights!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

magentas wrote: »
    Thanks corsav, it won't be a drinking holiday this year as I'm expecting so think it'll be worth the short drive to kill a few hours one of the nights!

If you get the chance try to take in the museum of country life, lovely grounds if weather permits and lough lanagh walk is very nice also. Hope you enjoy yourself while in the west :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

Nothing wrong with Castlebar cinema. all the new releases and kids club

Nothing wrong with Castlebar cinema. all the new releases and kids club

It's in a grotty building in a grotty complex with a car park that looks as though it has been bombed. All the same, I suppose once you're in your seat and the lights dim you don't notice . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

gizmo555 wrote: »
    It's in a grotty building in a grotty complex with a car park that looks as though it has been bombed. All the same, I suppose once you're in your seat and the lights dim you don't notice . . .

it could do with a revamp and a higher pitch angle on the seats.

Advertisement