Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

80's tax and insurance discs?

Options
  • 26-09-2013 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hey guys

Can any one help me out? I'm working on a TV show set in 80's Ireland
    1979 - 1991 specifically.
    I need picture references OR actual discs from this time so that I can mock up
    discs for the cars used by our actors. I'd like to keep it as authentic as possible.

If ye have ones that could be sent/scanned in/photographed and emailed then I would be delighted

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭vandriver

You'd need to check when insurance discs became a requirement (mid 80s would be my guess)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,703 ✭✭✭✭L1011

1984 as far as I know. Classic Cars forum on here will definitely have people who can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

limerick12-36.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cathyhego

Thanks Lads.

Thanks for that Kenny!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

There's probably a few on here still using them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Motors >> Classic cars

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

I have a 1982 tax disk in the window of my 1982 Golf. I'll get a photo later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I have a 1982 tax disk in the window of my 1982 Golf. I'll get a photo later on.

Ha! I never noticed it. Cool. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭trevorbrady

82taxdiskLarge_zps7ad834a9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I have everything from '86 upwards. Somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭chevyv8

kbell wrote: »
    There's probably a few on here still using them!
    ha ha .,id say a good few.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I've a '91 disc still on the screen of my '86 W126 from when it was last taxed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

The first insurance discs in Ireland that I recall were issued by PMPA, and were displayed voluntarily by vehicle owners (i.e. it wasnt compulsory to display insurance discs in the first few years). The discs were approximately half the size (or smaller?) than those of modern day insurance discs. (I would estimate the disc size was approx - 2.5" wide by 4" high)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

MercMad wrote: »
    I've a '91 disc still on the screen of my '86 W126 from when it was last taxed!

That car didn't do much!

Thank you so much for all the advice and pictures. Keep em coming :)

Thank you Trevorbrady and Silvera

Thanks for everything guys

Another favour:

I need to get permission for various car reg plates to be used throughout the production. from 79 - 86 ( not worried about the more modern numbers)

This below is what Wikipedia is tell me.

I can see that the letters go from A to Z but do the change with ever 100?
    where are the guidlines for the change?
    eg would anything in the 200's be BZE?
    I have to send my made-up reg list to the county council for permission to use the potential regs etc

1 AZE to 999 YZE (Sep 1978 - Apr 1979);
    1 AZH to 999 YZH (Apr - Oct 1979);
    1 AZI to 999 YZI (Oct 1979 - Apr 1980);
    1 AZJ to 999 YZJ (Apr 1980 - Jan 1981);
    1 AZL to 999 YZL (Jan - May 1981);
    1 AZO to 999 YZO (May 1981 - Jan 1982);
    1 AZU to 999 YZU (Jan - Aug 1982).
    ASI 1 to ZSI 999 (Aug 1982 - Jun 1983);
    AZG 1 to YZG 999 (Jun 1983 - May 1984);
    AZS 1 to YZS 999 (May 1984 - Mar 1985);
    AZV 1 to YZV 999 (Mar 1985 - Jan 1986).
    SI 1 to SI 9999 (Jan - Apr 1986);
    ZG 1 to ZG 9999 (Apr - Jul 1986);
    ZS 1 to ZS 8709 (Jul - Dec 1986).

This is my made up list ( I know I dont have the correct letters) I know the letters pertaining to the YEAR are correct..ie the last 2 but the first letter of the three is the one im stuck on

'79 - 237 AZH
    191 AZH
    534 YZH
    729 YZH

80/81 244 AZJ
    422 AZJ
    635 YZJ
    822 YZJ

jan-may 81 84 AZL
    121 AZL
    788 YZL
    904 YZL

Jan - Aug 82 372 AZU
    491 AZU
    775 YZU
    832 YZU

Apr - Jul 86 ZG 441
    ZG 3822

Your expertise would be appreciated. Most peoples memories are foggy and wikipedia cannot always be trusted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

That wiki list is fairly accurate
    AZE will go to 999, then change to BZE 1 and so on...
    It had nothing to do with time... the next person just got the next number.

Heres a few more
    001_zpsb23d586e.jpg

Ah I was over thinking everything. Thank you so much for that and the image. I hadnt found a picture reference for the insurance yet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

That car didn't do much!

........it does have low mileage, but I suspect it got a lot more years on the roads with previous owners than its tax disc would suggest. Its a Dublin '86 reg BTW ZG XXXX and still wears its original rear plate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

That car didn't do much!

I bought a first registered in 1986 and last taxed in 1989 just sitting at the back of a sales yard all that time , It is not ready to go on the road yet , I might wait until it gets to 30 years old

Hey Guys!
    Blast from the past. You're info was hugely helpful last time and I was wondering if you could help again. This time, the project is set in both the 40's and 90's. 42 and 92 to be exact. What kind of documentation if any would be on a vehicle in the 40's in Ireland? we have a van and a policecar and a bus. In most pictures I can see any paperwork on the windscreen. I think they would have carried it in the Glove box?
    Any Picture references for 92 tax and insurance disc would be appreciated. Also, would Northern Ireland have had their own design separate from the UK even? Sorry for the bother

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

cathyhego wrote: »
    Hey Guys!
    Blast from the past. You're info was hugely helpful last time and I was wondering if you could help again. This time, the project is set in both the 40's and 90's. 42 and 92 to be exact. What kind of documentation if any would be on a vehicle in the 40's in Ireland? we have a van and a policecar and a bus. In most pictures I can see any paperwork on the windscreen. I think they would have carried it in the Glove box?
    Any Picture references for 92 tax and insurance disc would be appreciated. Also, would Northern Ireland have had their own design separate from the UK even? Sorry for the bother

1940's (Eire) - Tax disc only on display.
    1992 (Ireland) - Tax and Insurance discs on display.
    N.I. - Yes, N.I. had a seperate tax disc design from UK.

PM sent.

Advertisement