Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why arent pics allowed in After Hours?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I always regretted that I came in too late for the likes of Bubbles and Polmki :(

For the latter, you really, really don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

I think it's important that people know that Bubbles was not some sort of charming rogue - he was a pretty despicable individual who made threats against people and their children and who was arrested a few years back for harassment of women (I don't know where that case ended up - I know the investigating police had 1 computer in their station that was locked away in a room for the weekends, so they were most likely completely unable to comprehend the scale of what they were dealing with). I was contacted by one of his victims to confirm his identity. I've avoided saying this before but it galls me every time I see people talking about him like he was some sort of court jester of boards.

Polmki - I don't know what that guy's problem was, but he was from the UK so there wasn't really anything we could do about him.

I'd love a timeline of events with regards to Bubbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

It's also useful for browsing any number of pic link sites.. Like reddit for example.

if-you-know-what-i-mean.png

...do you really want to put up with this every second post on AH?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

I'd love a timeline of events with regards to Bubbles.

That'd be fairly hard as it started well over 10 years ago and most of it wasn't public. Short version: Started funny, ended very not funny.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Just upload a pic as a youtube video and embed it, problem solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Dav wrote: »
    I think it's important that people know that Bubbles was not some sort of charming rogue - he was a pretty despicable individual who made threats against people and their children and who was arrested a few years back for harassment of women (I don't know where that case ended up - I know the investigating police had 1 computer in their station that was locked away in a room for the weekends, so they were most likely completely unable to comprehend the scale of what they were dealing with).
    Holy crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,120 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

hey someone had to prove it would be a terrible idea

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

OldGoat wrote: »
    Too many Facepalms and LOLcats.

This line is trotted out every time this topic is raised. How about having more faith in your users and at least giving it a go on a trial basis.

To detract trolls maybe it would be possible to build in a validation of having to have a hundred posts before you can post images in AH. No idea if this is possible, just throwing it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Question for the people wanting pics in AH: what pics is it that you want to be able to post there?
    We already have a "Cool Vids, Pics & Links" forum and yet still people can't help but posting links and vids in AH.
    Now you want pics there too?

How can a thread in AH be enhanced by adding image privileges?

an-wilson-question-time.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

biko wrote: »
    How can a thread in AH be enhanced by adding image privileges?

This image would probably get used a lot -

4x2AKu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It would be nice to try it again.
    Wouldn't a nice sticky at the top of AH warning people not to lose the run of themselves be enough to keep things under control. Or are there that many trolls on a daily basis that would screw things up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

It would be nice to try it again.
    Wouldn't a nice sticky at the top of AH warning people not to lose the run of themselves be enough to keep things under control. Or are there that many trolls on a daily basis that would screw things up?

That'd be a great idea Teddy if people actually followed said sticky, but just look at how many times it has to be pointed out that spelling and grammar pedantry isn't welcome in AH, even WITH the sticky at the top of the forum.

It's the classic "And this is why we can't have nice things", because some posters don't know the meaning of the word "moderation" and aren't particularly concerned that other posters may find flooding a thread with memes objectionable.

Quite frankly I'd have disabled YouTube embedding in AH also as it slows thread rendering down to a crawl on the touch site. Visiting any YouTube heavy thread in AH is just painful, so you can imagine what an image heavy thread would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Czarcasm wrote: »
    That'd be a great idea Teddy if people actually followed said sticky, but just look at how many times it has to be pointed out that spelling and grammar pedantry isn't welcome in AH, even WITH the sticky at the top of the forum.

It's the classic "And this is why we can't have nice things", because some posters don't know the meaning of the word "moderation" and aren't particularly concerned that other posters may find flooding a thread with memes objectionable.

Quite frankly I'd have disabled YouTube embedding in AH also as it slows thread rendering down to a crawl on the touch site. Visiting any YouTube heavy thread in AH is just painful, so you can imagine what an image heavy thread would do.

The the title for those stickies are easily missable. I always thought they should have a brief description of the warning in the title and in caps.

*****ALL IMAGES MUST BE SUITABLE FOR YOUR GRANNYS EYES*****

Could we only allow links to Boards Gathering cards? I miss them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

I'd say you're in a minority. Most people on Boards aren't au fait with esoteric humour from Boards Back In The Day.

injoke.jpg

It's a shame they fell out of favour, they were one of the best meme's that Boardsies ever came up with. Them and KEVO. I wish the KEVO archives hadn't been lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I thought with of the old boards jokes but what's KEVO?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The amount of these threads would increase 100fold
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057073163

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

biko wrote: »
    The amount of these threads would increase 100fold
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057073163

Well if that one is fine why not others ?

Dav wrote: »
    It's a shame they fell out of favour, they were one of the best meme's that Boardsies ever came up with. Them and KEVO. I wish the KEVO archives hadn't been lost.

They can live again...make it so. Only images from a gathering server may be [IMG]tagged. :) I'd double my subscription for that*[/img]*May not actually double subscription

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

The only thing more tedious and less funny than the Gathering cards is the nostalgic pining for the good old days of them, Quake III Arena and trousers with 34" waists by watery-eyed old Boardsheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Doge

Overheal wrote: »

F*cking hell!

It's like technology in AH has been set years back to the days of the Nokia 3210!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

The only thing more tedious and less funny than the Gathering cards is the nostalgic pining for the good old days of them, Quake III Arena and trousers with 34" waists by watery-eyed old Boardsheads.
    Wrong.

I'm still a 34" waist

• Registered Users Posts: 83,120 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

waveform wrote: »
    F*cking hell!

It's like technology in AH has been set years back to the days of the Nokia 3210!
    I had a 3650 personally

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Where are we at on this lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    Where are we at on this lads?

Nowhere by the looks of it.

• Advertisement

It's not happening, at least not in the foreseeable future.

Advertisement