Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stillorgan SC and Beaufield Park

Options
  • 26-09-2013 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

I am interested in purchasing a house in Beaufield Park but have reservations due to the proximity to Stillorgan SC. Currently three houses are for sale in the estate and all three coincidentally are end of cul-de-sac properties adjoining the shopping centre.

Is this a happy coincidence for a first-time buyer looking for choice or is it a sign that the current owners know something I don't.

Anyone know what's happening with the centre or have anything to say about Beaufield Park (positive or negative)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There is nothing going on in Stillorgan SC, the owners made several attempts in the past few years to redevelop the place by expanding the shopping area and buiding an underground car park. All of their planning applications were blocked by local objections, mainly based on the threat of traffic gridlock if yet more cars were passing in and out of the place.

Now that the expansion plans have been shelved, the removal of uncertaintly about the future have yielded some benefits. Tesco closed their supermarket for 10 days and did a complete refit and Starbucks and Donnybrook Fair have opened so most comments on the place in recent times have been positive.

Not sure if that's the reassurance you're looking for. I don't live close by but I go there very frequently and I don't expect there to be any significant changes to the place any time soon. I don't know anything about that road where you're looking at houses.

There is an active thread on Stillorgan SC in this forum, link here...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057040175

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

Given the old Blakes site is now vactant and also the old Esmonde Motors site it would be great if someone look at investing in Stillorgan and a complete rethink of the configuration of the area.

There is a lot of free space in Stillorgan. If you could get the owners of Leisureplex involved you could change the whole area and improve between traffic flow, the shopping centre and residents.

The residents complaints for years over the traffic increases were understandable but misguided. The traffic in Stillorgan is still terrible. The carparl for the SC is still a terrible look for the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

themont85 wrote: »
    Given the old Blakes site is now vactant and also the old Esmonde Motors site it would be great if someone look at investing in Stillorgan and a complete rethink of the configuration of the area.

There is a lot of free space in Stillorgan. If you could get the owners of Leisureplex involved you could change the whole area and improve between traffic flow, the shopping centre and residents.

The residents complaints for years over the traffic increases were understandable but misguided. The traffic in Stillorgan is still terrible. The carparl for the SC is still a terrible look for the area.

You're right about lots of free space in the area but the problem is that the road system can't take any more traffic. You mentioned Esmonde Motors but the problem with the Blakes and Esmonde sites is that getting in and out of that area is a problem. Even with both of them closed, all it takes at the moment is a big delivery van to park outside the Stillorgan House at the top of the hill, that reduces the exit from the hill to one lane and if it happens at lunchtime, the traffic rapidly jams up back almost to the exit on the N11.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I actually think given the free space a good deal of work could be done at reconfiguring the area a bit. Look at expanding roads, improving access, building one proper multistory or underground car park for the area and maybe changing certain roads to one way to improve the traffic flow.

Currently there is parking at Blakes, Leisureplex, in the SC, the cinema/Lidl, off street parking where the chippers/O'Briens is, in that small commercial centre beside the SC and the overflow car park with cars constantly going in and out. There are cars trying to get upto Dundrum/Sandyford. There are residents just trying to get home.

If I lived down by where the library is it would be a hell. People still go down there looking for parking, the access is terrible and it is just a aluminum jungle with all the cars parked everywhere.

Its a pity that the economy dived as I do think the area could be transformed for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

cfosulli wrote: »
    Anyone know what's happening with the centre or have anything to say about Beaufield Park (positive or negative)?
    Back during the Tiger era, Treasury Holdings had plans to completely redevelop the Shopping Centre and the Blakes site, and effectively turn Stillorgan into a high-rise area. The centre was taken over by NAMA and the frankly ludicrous high-rise plans appear to have been shelved indefinitely.

While there was uncertainty over the centre, many of the units remained vacant. It appeared close to 50% vacancy 4-5 years ago. Now there are 1-2 vacant units. Donnybrook Fair, Starbucks, Dealz & Mao have moved in, while Tesco have renovated their store to some extent. Just speculation, but it would seem highly unusual for these businesses to make this kind of investment if any major changes were being planned to the centre in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭annieoburns

Beaufield Park is a nice residential enclave of solidly built houses... (decent gardens ? good extension opportunities?). There are many good facilities within walking distance such as Aercoach stop, restaurants/pubs, cinema, church/community centre, good boys primary school, montessori and of course Stillorgan Sh Centre. There used to be a pedestrian link out the back to Beaufield Mews/Woodlands... is that still there? Only snag would be traffic back up on Lower Kilmacud Rd leading to Stillorgan at busy times such as Christmas.

Advertisement