Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new electric gates question

Options
  • 26-09-2013 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im tarmacking a new build and were putting gates up ...we cant afford to electrify them yet but will do next year .....can we put in a generic type box in the ground for future housing of the motor before we tarmac or do we have to buy the whole lot

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

There are no generic boxes.
    I suggest that you pick the system you require and install the correct boxes.
    Also install all necessary cabling including:
    Motor cabling
    Intercom cabling
    Photo cell cabling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭beanie10

Buying the boxes only can be expensive in comparison to buying the full kit. But if your not installing them straight away the warranty could run out before you install them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

warranty on a box ?? ok ....as I said I dont have money to buy the full kit yet but the tarmac is going to be laid soon ...would I be better off with getting the overground system so ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would prefer underground motors.
    Be warned installing the boxes correctly is tricky.
    The box itself forms the lower hinge and they require drainage.
    The gates must hang "true" and will require "stops".

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭liveandnetural

i second 2011

set your gate boxes now and save all the hassel

some of the gate companys will sell you the boxes on there own some will do a first fix (ducting some cable and boxes)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Do the gates first
    Tarmac later when you have the money.

meercat wrote: »
    Do the gates first
    Tarmac later when you have the money.

ya I cant see the point of me having lovely electric gates and a messy driveway ....thanks anyway

i second 2011

set your gate boxes now and save all the hassel

some of the gate companys will sell you the boxes on there own some will do a first fix (ducting some cable and boxes)

cheers man the guys making our gates dont do it thats why I was kinda asking can you get a generic box to fit now then put the motor in later..

cheers anyway man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Vego wrote: »
    ya I cant see the point of me having lovely electric gates and a messy driveway ....thanks anyway

If you do the gates first then you will be sure that all cables/ducts are correctly positioned before you Tarmac. I would always recommend that the gates are wired/functioning before laying any tar

I see your point but in my position right now I need the tarmac layed first .....but the boxes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

I dont install electric gates, never have but if it was me in your situation..

Put in a 4" or 6" duct with a pull wire or rope back to the house. (use a 4" wavin pipe just make sure any bends are not tight (use large gradual sweeping bends or better yet install a manhole at and bends.

At the gate you can terminate in a simple wavin manhole.. Speak to a gate supplier first and get the best location to place the manhole.

Once you buy the gate they can pull in what ever wires are necessary to that location. Its not ideal but in your situation the best option.. Worst case you need to dig up a foot or so near the gate pier..

knipex wrote: »
    Put in a 4" or 6" duct with a pull wire or rope back to the house. (use a 4" wavin pipe just make sure any bends are not tight (use large gradual sweeping bends or better yet install a manhole at and bends.

Good idea.
    No harm having a few cable ducts in.

Alternatively you could select the gate automation company and have the correct wiring installed before the tarmac goes down. Not a lot of wiring is required (to go under the tarmac).

Generally something like this (rough guide, may vary):

1) Power (SWA) to control box (often located behind one of the gate pillars.
    2) Intercom cable to control box from house (generally a 5 pair polly / polly for < 100m)
    3) A 4 core power cable from each motor to the control box.
    4) Photocell cables - From each pillar to control box.

Worst case you need to dig up a foot or so near the gate pier..

May also be a good idea to install a ducts between the pillars and back to control box (for motor supplies & photocells).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭enricoh

i just ran a 1" hydrodare pipe between the two gate pillars and a red 2" esb pipe from the house to the gates n put a cat 5 n the white cable left over from wiring the house sockets nmyj? or something.
    was going to go with underground but went with the rams instead n am happy with them 1.5-2 years later
    the intercom is still in the box n on the to-do list!!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

2011 wrote: »

Alternatively you could select the gate automation company and have the correct wiring installed before the tarmac goes down. Not a lot of wiring is required (to go under the tarmac).

Generally something like this (rough guide, may vary):

1) Power (SWA) to control box (often located behind one of the gate pillars.
    2) Intercom cable to control box from house (generally a 5 pair polly / polly for < 100m)
    3) A 4 core power cable from each motor to the control box.
    4) Photocell cables - From each pillar to control box.

Hey 2011, any idea how much an electrician wold charge to do the above as part of rewiring a house?

Advertisement