Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Persona 5

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭Paleblood

It's more Persona, but interestingly so.

While there's plenty familiar about the first hour or two, it's also a welcome departure. The tone is noticeably different: the change of location means that's inevitable, but certainly there's already a slightly more jaded, even hostile edge to the characters that differentiates it.

It's a masterpiece of UI design: its slick, devil-may-care attitude baked into the very design in an even more impressive way than its predecessors.

Enjoying the flashback structure to frame the narrative, helps that the transitions back are suitably stylish. Translation work is a tad clunky at times, and for some reason incidental audio (such as TV footage) isn't subtitled with Japanese voice enabled (also: make sure you manually turn on video subs in the first place).

Loving its portrayal of Tokyo. The first time you're properly let out into the city you have to follow a confusing route to the Ginza Line, which is a remarkably accurate encapsulation of the city :pac:

I have also already lost several minutes by refusing to click continue on the level up screen due to the obscenely funky victory theme looping.

Are you playing with the Japanese audio? I only just noticed it was available for download.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Paleblood wrote: »
    Are you playing with the Japanese audio? I only just noticed it was available for download.

Yep, incredibly jarring to me to have Japanese people walking around Tokyo speaking in English. Always annoyed me that the option wasn't there in the past games.

Only strange thing here is Igor, where the Japanese performance feels completely different to the English language one in previous games. But will adjust!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Loving its portrayal of Tokyo. The first time you're properly let out into the city you have to follow a confusing route to the Ginza Line, which is a remarkably accurate encapsulation of the city :pac:

Took me ages too figure out where the Ginza line was.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gryfothegreat

Yep, incredibly jarring to me to have Japanese people walking around Tokyo speaking in English. Always annoyed me that the option wasn't there in the past games.

Only strange thing here is Igor, where the Japanese performance feels completely different to the English language one in previous games.

I think Igor's seiyuu passed away recently, so out of respect they changed voice actors in both versions. That's why he sounds so different.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I think Igor's seiyuu passed away recently, so out of respect they changed voice actors in both versions. That's why he sounds so different.

Yeah Isamu Tanonaka died back in 2010, Masane Tsukayama is doing the voice now couple with archived audio.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

You're right, understandable decision in that sense. Still, ensures a surprisingly radical change to the character - highlights the impact of a strong voice performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

The train station is like that irl too. Absolute maze.

Xenji wrote: »
    Yeah Isamu Tanonaka died back in 2010, Masane Tsukayama is doing the voice now couple with archived audio.

I thought recently because in the anime adaptationd they used Tanonaka's voice, but that was all archived now that I think about it. They shifted his entire role onto Margaret.

Only strange thing here is Igor, where the Japanese performance feels completely different to the English language one in previous games. But will adjust!

Yeah I'm pretty much the same. An English dub doesn't bother me per se but it will always be second best.

I'm slightly concerned to hear that those incidental dialogue sequences aren't subtitled though. Little details like news headlines help flesh out the world and I'd hate to be without them.

Me too. There was a delightful moment where I realised I was gonna have to stop running around randomly and just read the signs. Unsurprisingly, it worked.

• Advertisement

I'm slightly concerned to hear that those incidental dialogue sequences aren't subtitled though. Little details like news headlines help flesh out the world and I'd hate to be without them.

Well there was a bit early on where two characters were silently watching a news bulletin and none of the TV stuff was subtitled. Was very odd.

Still, would rather that than the English language option which - and all due respect to the cast, who I'm sure do their best - always feels off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

This is the most fecked up game I've ever played.......

Who the hell goes to school on a Saturday??

nix wrote: »

Thats the norm in Japan.

After a lot of trial and error I've finally arrived at the JRPG series I've been looking for! I knocked up about 10 hours in Persona 4 Golden last week and now Persona 5 has its hooks in me.

There's a certain aesthetic to creature design in Japanese games that never sat right with me. In fact I've come across numerous enemies in both Persona games that would have previously had me reaching for the off button. That sounds petty, and yet it was something I couldn't overcome. But I think I 'get' it now. All I needed was this stunning couple of games.

I'm playing through Steins;Gate as well, which is also quite remarkable. Plus I've put a few hours into Final Fantasy XV. It's not perfect, but riding around on a Chocobo has itself opened up whole new world to me.

I'm 32 years of age and only starting to dip my toes in Japanese games. There's a lot of late nights ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I'm 32 years of age and only starting to dip my toes in Japanese games. There's a lot of late nights ahead!
    I'm glad for you :), there's so many good games out there, my closer friends are kinda stuck to the same games. Loads of us here to point you in the right direction if you're looking for more stuff. The Zero Escape series I was thinking of ... I can't remember why I was suggesting it now lol.

I'd to do my Leaving Cert English on a Saturday, they gave out paper 2 on the day of paper 1. Scary!

This tune! felt like my head was gonna explode at the start with this pounding the beats at me whilst my eyes drowned in rich colours, so stylish! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Absolutely love this game and the style so much. Thought when it was announced that the 'red' styling would be too harsh compared to the yellow of P4, but it suits perfectly. Music is great as always.

Tried to do the first castle in one try today. Got to the second last area (I think), but I have absolutely no SP left for any characters and no HP recovery items except a few in-battle ones. Fudged myself basically so I'll have to go back to the real world and try again after I stock up :( First time I've ever failed at a first dungeon run in a Persona game. Sad times :(

It's impressive how even though little of what you're doing in the game is majorly new, the polish and stylisation makes everything flow like a dream. Great case study in 'game feel' - it's pretty much a philosophical antithesis to Inside in terms of mechanical and design approach, but that's the most recent game I've played that felt quite so fluid.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,398 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How do you leave the castle and go back to the real world?

My copy has arrived.

Zavvi have stock of the TYH, but are now selling it for €130, https://m.zavvi.com/games-ps4/persona-5-collector-s-edition/11327932.html?_ga=1.92552733.1271435575.1456079043

• Advertisement

Great case study in 'game feel' - it's pretty much a philosophical antithesis to Inside in terms of mechanical and design approach, but that's the most recent game I've played that felt quite so fluid.

Inside plays like a piano. Everything just clicks and makes sense. 'Fluid', as you correctly put it. And yes, Persona 5 feels like that as well. The music, the menus, the pop-up text, the quick cuts from scene to scene. It just moves and works. I'm not sure how else to describe it.

It places the things it's 'about' front and centre, and that allows everything else to melt away. For example, you can run through people in the corridors. There's no physics engine at play. That would bother me in a different game but here it makes sense. The game is not about those things. It's so confidant in its own abilities that it quietly ignores the things that other games live and die by. I love seeing that self-beleief. It makes the whole game sing.

It also brings to mind the whole "style over substance" dichotomy. Certain games marry the two to such an extent that they are one and the same. The Guilty Gear Xrd games have incredibly deep systems but it's the animation and sense of style that brings it all together. Style as substance. Substance as style. Persona 5 is the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭vex

My copy of pesona 5 took some time to backpack through europe for a week after leaving Canada and is currently taking a break somewhere in Ireland( Probally with customs :( ).

At this rate I might have to spend time with family members , dear god i hope it arrives soon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

How do you leave the castle and go back to the real world?

It really depends on what point you are at. Certain parts you need to progress to an area to advance the story and you automatically leave after.

Otherwise, go to a Safe Room, hit R1 and teleport to the Castle Gate and head down the drawbridge. This will end your run for the day so its best to only leave if you are lacking in healing items/SP.

Mine arrived! The bag is much bigger than I thought it would be - perfect size for a laptop. Now to wait twelve hours for it to install...
    EDIT: There's no install wait!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Seven and a half hours in. Can't say enough good things about it.

I keep having too leave the castle as i keeping running out of sp and from what I can see the clinic doesn't sell sp pill yet.

I keep having too leave the castle as i keeping running out of sp and from what I can see the clinic doesn't sell sp pill yet.

Yeah it takes a few visits to get through it, i was 12 hours in before i finished the castle :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

There's a vending machine in the school courtyard and one by the bathhouse across from cafe LeBlanc that sells some SP drinks. Only 5 SP per item, and it seems you can only buy 1 at a time. Keep an eye out for them.

There may also be one in Shibuya somewhere but I can't be 100% sure :/

You can also make coffee once you've sufficiently advanced the Hierophant Confidant, which will also restore SP.

I do miss the clock and the fox though.

• Advertisement

Yeah it takes a few visits to get through it, i was 12 hours in before i finished the castle :eek:

And there was me thinking it was gonna be a quick run :pac:

Glico Man wrote: »
    There's a vending machine in the school courtyard and one by the bathhouse across from cafe LeBlanc that sells some SP drinks. Only 5 SP per item, and it seems you can only buy 1 at a time. Keep an eye out for them.

There may also be one in Shibuya somewhere but I can't be 100% sure :/

Sure 5sp is nothing :pac:

Advertisement